I woke up to a flat tire this morning

slow leak can be the dirt build up on the rim but that should not cause a sudden flat...and why the hell are you on the board hoa....

Somebody's gotta keep tabs on em, else they'll turn the place into their democracy.

Ever hear that old line about keeping your friends close but your enemies closer? :)

And I can't figure out why it was flat.

I jacked it up, pumped it up, sprayed it over nice and good with soapy water.

Nothing. I sprayed the seal, too.

Didn't see any screws or nails in it either.

When I pulled it from my evening cruise on the winding back roads yesterday the tire was fine.

Tires are less than two years old. Not many miles on them. Less than a thousand.

Ironically, I did top off the air yesterday prior to heading out on my cruise.

Only thing I can think of is maybe a valve stem pin is sticking out too far and maybe I tightened the cap down too far and it let the air out?

That's kind of out there, though. Highly doubtful, in my view.

I put a plug kit and a small compressor in the car just to have, in case I end up flat some place.

It's kind of an annoying flat, though, since I can't figure out how it happened. It was pretty sudden in that it happened overnight. I've never had a slow leak or anything from them.

Those tires are over two hundred Federal Reserve Notes a pop, too, so I'm hoping it was just something to do with how I put the cap back onto the valve stem.

Anyone ever have that happen where your tire goes flat for no apparent reason? Surely, there must be a reason it went flat. I can't find it, though. And it's held air since I refilled it. That was 5 AM this morning when I got up and went out to feed the birds and noticed it.

I have a left rear flat, Org Goodyear run flats. Not bad though, only flat on the bottom. I got about 46K on the C5 Corvette Anniversary and I think they are original! It will get 4 new sneeks soon. Think maybe Michelin runflats this time, prob about $400 each then mounting. The Hankooks are less and great reviews. Mine went flat over time sitting. I have seen tires leak in one position then not in another. Debris in the bead maybe?

$400 is a lot of currency for one tire, Shawnee. Dang. Maybe check the C5 section over on the corvette forum to se what the rest of the fellers are putting on their C5s. I know it's always a big topic and they do a heck of a lot of comparing.

A lot of em don't like the run flats. I guess when they ditched the spare tire carrier and spire tire that's what they went with. Or vice-versa.

That is a nice C5 you have, though. I've always been partial to blue.

Last edited:
$400 is a lot of currency for one tire, Shawnee. Dang. Maybe check the C5 section over on the corvette forum to se what the rest of the fellers are putting on their C5s. I know it's always a big topic and they do a heck of a lot of comparing.

A lot of em don't like the run flats. I guess when they ditched the spare tire carrier and spire tire that's what they went with. Or vice-versa.

That is a nice C5 you have, though. I've always been partial to blue.

Thanks. We both got cool ones:)

Seems $400 n Michelin but yes I WILL look a bit. Big debate on run flats, I dunno. Got em, prob again? Limited to who does it. Here in redneck land they may lift the vette with a yamaha 4 wheeler, and go :watch this!!!

When I pulled it from my evening cruise on the winding back roads yesterday the tire was fine.

Tires are less than two years old. Not many miles on them. Less than a thousand.

Only thing I can think of is maybe a valve stem pin is sticking out too far and maybe I tightened the cap down too far and it let the air out?

I put a plug kit and a small compressor in the car just to have, in case I end up flat some place.

It's kind of an annoying flat, though, since I can't figure out how it happened. It was pretty sudden in that it happened overnight. I've never had a slow leak or anything from them.

Those tires are over two hundred Federal Reserve Notes a pop, too, so I'm hoping it was just something to do with how I put the cap back onto the valve stem.

Anyone ever have that happen where your tire goes flat for no apparent reason? Surely, there must be a reaso nit went flat. I can't find it, though. And it's held air since I refilled it. That was 5 AM this morning when I got up and went out to feed the birds and noticed it.
Some asshole let the air out.

Ah, so it was a Wednesday morning after Taco Tuesday.

Anyone ever have that happen where your tire goes flat for no apparent reason? Surely, there must be a reaso nit went flat. I can't find it, though. And it's held air since I refilled it. That was 5 AM this morning when I got up and went out to feed the birds and noticed it.

The old trick is to stick a BB under the valve cap. It lets the air slowly bleed out. They either came back and took the BB or it fell out when you removed the cap and you missed it.

No, not really. It never did go flat again.

There's a little o-ring in each valve stem cap. Coulda been that thing got twisted up in there when I put the cap back on after topping off the air pressure and let the air out, similar to what toobs mentioned about the bb.

Now that I've got my good health back, I've been spending a lot of time this spring outdoors and cruising around the back roads in the old beater.

IMG_4157 copy.jpeg

Forum List

Back