I'm pretty sure my thyroid issues are due to poor ventilation in a grinding process involving cadmium coated components in the 1990's.

Raynine

Gold Member
Oct 28, 2023
I was recently diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. It's sub clinical but TSH is a little high. This raised a red flag. In the 1990s, The Timken Company was known for its advanced manufacturing processes, including the use of cadmium coatings on components. Cadmium plating was often applied to parts to provide corrosion resistance and improve durability. This coating process typically occurred before the grinding stage to ensure the components had the necessary protective layer before undergoing further machining.

Cadmium coating, while effective, is known for its toxicity and environmental impact, which led to stricter regulations and a shift towards alternative coatings in later years.

I went to my boss and complained that I was in a constant aerosol cloud while grinding thousands of cadmium plated parts and was told that it was no problem. Then suddenly the process was changed without explanation.

Now my thyroid has issues. I am going to have to pay for a heavy metal test out of my own pocket which I will do in the next few weeks. Cadmium has a long half-life so it should still be there if that's the problem.

Any suggestions about what I can do to get compensation if my thyroid is loaded with cadmium?

Last edited:
s-l1200.jpg

I was recently diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. It's sub clinical but TSH is a little high. This raised a red flag. In the 1990s, The Timken Company was known for its advanced manufacturing processes, including the use of cadmium coatings on components. Cadmium plating was often applied to parts to provide corrosion resistance and improve durability. This coating process typically occurred before the grinding stage to ensure the components had the necessary protective layer before undergoing further machining.

Cadmium coating, while effective, is known for its toxicity and environmental impact, which led to stricter regulations and a shift towards alternative coatings in later years.

I went to my boss and complained that I was in a constant aerosol cloud while grinding thousands of cadmium plated parts and was told that it was no problem. Then suddenly the process was changed without explanation.

Now my thyroid has issues. I am going to have to pay for a heavy metal test out of my own pocket which I will do in the next few weeks. Cadmium has a long half-life so it should still be there if that's the problem.

Any suggestions about what I can do to get compensation if my thyroid is loaded with cadmium?
Sorry to hear of your health problems.. Is this a situation that might be a class action case? If so, that might be worth investigating.first I suppose. Do some research on other such cases which have been successful,.any links to the chemicals you were exposed to and any related health consequences. The human body is durable but also fragile under the right conditions.

Personal injury lawyer? I worked in a machine shop when I was just starting out -- turning cast iron parts on a lathe. The cast dust was overwhelming. I could wash my hands to clean when I got home and a half hour later, the cast would come out of my pores. It was so bad that you could taste it. Luckily, I only worked for them for a couple months.

You're 80 years old, just ride it out. Timken makes excellent bearings, my employer would always buy Timken roller bearings.

Here's a study on it...

Though I'm sure you've likely alread performed at least some research on it yourself.

I'm hypothyroid now myself and have to take Levo now since my body can't produce T4 anymore, but I had a couple of rounds of radiation to kill off my thyroid because I had severe hyperthyroidism as a consequence of Graves disease. Apparently it was hereditary.

The hyerthyroidism almost killed me a few times. The hyperthyroidism caused several First Hour cardiac arrests and thyroid storm and eventually heart failure.

And I was a cranky, mean son of a bitch for quite some time because it does that. Shit. I was ruthless on Coyote back then. To this day she hasn't said a word to me again. lol.

Here's a study on it...

Though I'm sure you've likely alread performed at least some research on it yourself.

I'm hypothyroid now myself, but I had a couple of rounds of radiation to kill off my thyroid because I had severe hyperthyroidism as a consequence of Graves disease.

The hyerthyroidism almost killed me a few times. The hyperthyroidism caused several First Hour cardiac arrests and thyroid storm and eventually heart failure.

And I was a cranky, mean son of a bitch for quite some time. Shit. I was ruthless on Coyote back then. To this day she hasn't said a word to me again. lol.
Sue your former employer. This just doesn't happen.

Forum List

Back