my dad being the nice guy he was

wanted mom to have some freedom while on the phone

and had a long springy cord attached to the handle

so she could wonder off into the kitchen and stuff while talking on the phone

only problem was the phone cord usually ran over the stove --LOL

she burnt that cord off several times

each time it was wired back together and a foot or so shorter

--LOL
I'm old enough to remember party lines.......and I'm not talkin cocaine.

we had one at first too

there was one lady that liked to listen in

--LOL

I remember watching commercials for 20 mule team borax.

I remember buying gas for my dirt bike at $0.25 / gallon.

I remember watching Dark Shadows live.

I remember the Jackie Gleason show before Ralph Kramden was invented.

BR549

I remember when I first saw Lucy's hair really was red.

I remember watching "The Dude's" father on TV.

I remember being my Dad's remote control.

I remember climbing the antenna every Sunday to get the ballgame in clearer.

Cisco wasn't a company and he rode with Pancho.

I'm so old that I met Hector Boyardee when I was a kid. You know, Chef Boyardee. Yes, he was a real person.

He told me to call him Uncle Hector. I'm so old, that didn't seem creepy to me.

I remember Little Oscar and the Weiner Mobile, (which we did make fun of. :redface:)

How about ads like this?

Anyone else going to run away from home to Tahiti in their mini-submarine?

Then there was junior rocket science...

15 cent balsa wood airplanes you could make a whole afternoon out of, more complicated ones that cost a whole $2.29 and took all weekend to build.

I'm happy to have at least lived a few decades in what I consider the last "decent" era before the 1980s and everything started turning to crap. :/

Nowadays... fugedaboutit, I don't even care what's going on in many respects.

Thx :)

i too had one of these

3110400.jpg

it ended terribly with a hornets nest

on one hot summers day

I'm so old I remember a time when kindness, caring, sharing, and respect actually meant people really care, instead of the political version we have today.

The Baltimore Colts

The Houston Oilers

Minnesota North Stars

When Pro Wrestling WAS REAL!

Hamm's Beer (from the land of sky blue waters)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o83xxWCel8g]Hamms Beer Commercial - Vintage Black and White - YouTube[/ame]

Television was a huge part of my youth and I am admittedly a product of the television age.

(Also the "Space Age", I even had the Saturn V version of the water rocket. :) (Oh, and hornets? Growing up in Southern Cal. we certainly had our run-ins with hornets, wasps and just bees and red ants too!)

I remember the Hamms Beer commercials along with The Jolly Green Giant, dozens of new breakfast cereals, "tough guys" who'd rather fight than switch...

In a couple more years I will be retiring to the woods near Hood Canal WA, and I think this commercial sums up more what I am looking for after suffering the last few decades...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjzinJ4QeHo]VAN CAMPS PORKS & BEANS THE SIMPLE LIFE - YouTube[/ame]

I want back the life I started out with, as much as I can deliver, lol. See what life is like without all the noise and self-inflicted turmoil of the last three decades.

Looking forward to sittin' back a spell and just whittling'. :eusa_whistle:

Thx :)

i remember party lines: polio vaccine lines:

and if you were a wee bit drunk...the cops would follow you home...just to make sure you go there....there was no such thing as a blow and go....

when your mom would smack the shit outta you in public and no one paused

when all the kids would ride in the top of the back seat and sleep there on long trips...someone would put their arm up if anything happened....i loved sleeping there in the sun

when air was free at the local gas station....

hell i remember when andy smoked on his show.....

I think I am heading to bed now...with lots of memories to smile at as I lay my head down to sleep.

Thanks guys.

I'm so old I REMEMBER the first moving picture I saw. (a movie in a theater)

AFTER THAT, then I saw my second moving picture... my first glimse at a TV picture (Capt Video)

i remember party lines: polio vaccine lines:

and if you were a wee bit drunk...the cops would follow you home...just to make sure you go there....there was no such thing as a blow and go....

when your mom would smack the shit outta you in public and no one paused

when all the kids would ride in the top of the back seat and sleep there on long trips...someone would put their arm up if anything happened....i loved sleeping there in the sun

when air was free at the local gas station....

hell i remember when andy smoked on his show.....
I remember the polio lines. My Grandfathers neighbor had polio. I remember the steal braces on his legs and the sound they made when he walked.

iron lungs....

many people think of these as the good old days....i do not....sure gas was cheap.....but we had no defense against many diseases....walk thru a graveyard and look at the infant graves in the early 50's...its heartbreaking....and remember all the 2nd and 3rd blue babies? who died shortly after birth cause they didnt know about the rh factor?

dont even look in the rear view mirror...we aint going there

iron lungs....

many people think of these as the good old days....i do not....sure gas was cheap.....but we had no defense against many diseases....walk thru a graveyard and look at the infant graves in the early 50's...its heartbreaking....and remember all the 2nd and 3rd blue babies? who died shortly after birth cause they didnt know about the rh factor?

dont even look in the rear view mirror...we aint going there
Not all of it was bad, and none of it is justification for oppressive government.

We have always excelled at medicine and healthcare. Its too bad that is changing now.

I'm so old I remember (and used) the old wooden wall crank phones! Seriously! Phone party lines and even in my first job some rural areas still had 3 digit phone numbers and you had to link up with three or four other operators in other towns to get a call into a REALLY rural area.

I remember Boston Blackie and The Shadow on radio. I saw the original Lassie, RinTinTin, Mickey Mouse Club, Ted Mack and his Amateur Hour on TV (I even auditioned for the show once) the Liberace Show, Lucky Strike Hit Parade ... American Bandstand.

I MISS going to a service station and having everything done without asking - windows, oil check, tires checked, gas pumped. I still believe that sort of stuff was one reason God made men for us.

I actually worked for an answering service that used switchboards.

One ringy dingy,two ringy dingy.....

Forum List

Back