In Istanbul, drummers keep ancient Ramazan tradition alive

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Interesting tradition, but I am glad they aren't in my neighborhood to wake up the Muslims.

AP — PUBLISHED ABOUT 10 HOURS AGO
575596e1a7b7e.jpg

Drummers, backdropped by a mosque, pose for a photo before walking the streets in Istanbul. —AP

ISTANBUL: In the dark of night, when the streets of Istanbul enjoy a rare moment of quiet, Ali Buldu sets out beating his drum to wake up his neighbourhood. For most, Buldu's passing is a welcomed sign that the Muslim month of fasting and prayer has begun.

The 55-year-old decked in traditional Ottoman attire has been making these pre-dawn Ramazan rounds for half of his life. It's a tradition he treasures, just like his forefathers did, and one that he is trying to pass on to the next generation.

Roughly 2,000 drummers wander around Istanbul's neighbourhoods during Ramazan, a time when Muslim families fast from sunrise to sundown and come together for prayer and copious meals sweetened by dates and pastries to break off the fast.

Continue reading at:

In Istanbul, drummers keep ancient Ramazan tradition alive - World - DAWN.COM

Interesting tradition, but I am glad they aren't in my neighborhood to wake up the Muslims.

AP — PUBLISHED ABOUT 10 HOURS AGO
575596e1a7b7e.jpg

Drummers, backdropped by a mosque, pose for a photo before walking the streets in Istanbul. —AP

ISTANBUL: In the dark of night, when the streets of Istanbul enjoy a rare moment of quiet, Ali Buldu sets out beating his drum to wake up his neighbourhood. For most, Buldu's passing is a welcomed sign that the Muslim month of fasting and prayer has begun.

The 55-year-old decked in traditional Ottoman attire has been making these pre-dawn Ramazan rounds for half of his life. It's a tradition he treasures, just like his forefathers did, and one that he is trying to pass on to the next generation.

Roughly 2,000 drummers wander around Istanbul's neighbourhoods during Ramazan, a time when Muslim families fast from sunrise to sundown and come together for prayer and copious meals sweetened by dates and pastries to break off the fast.

Continue reading at:

In Istanbul, drummers keep ancient Ramazan tradition alive - World - DAWN.COM

Kind of lame for an article like this to describe such a sonic event without ever displaying it ----

Some amazing images here ....

Ridiculous. You aren't even supposed to listen or play music, especially in Ramadung.

Forum List

Back