In love with bad ideas’: López Obrador takes Mexico back to the future

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Guadalupe Cáceres stands in her living room and points at the vintage tiles on the floor. Her family has lived for 127 years on this plot of land in Campeche, a colonial-era town on the Yucatán peninsula that still boasts ramparts erected after attacks by marauding Caribbean pirates. Now, a $7.8bn government rail project is set to rip through the middle of her single-storey blue-and-white painted home. One of Mexican president Andrés Manuel López Obrador’s signature projects, the Maya Train aims to boost tourism and growth in the country’s poor south-east. Along with an $8bn oil refinery under construction in the neighbouring state of Tabasco, it symbolises his conviction that state-funded oil and train developments in left-behind areas are the way forward.

Yep. Obrador is behind the times and ineffective.

There are plenty of touristy sites like Chichen Itza that are close to Cancun. No legit reason to build tracks through that existing rain forest or whatever it is. N. American or Europeans are not going to pack onto a train either. Most just hang around the resort. But as always follow the money.

The Chinese partner that will build part of the Mayan Train (Tren Maya) in southern Mexico is involved in more than 50 projects in at least 19 Latin American and Caribbean countries, thanks in large part to capital from the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China. Yet on the train’s official website, no details are given about the company or its other works in the region.
In late April, amid the Covid-19 pandemic, it was announced that the Mota-Engil Mexico Consortium had won the tender to build the first section of the Mayan Train, and would work with China Communications Construction Company (CCCC), Grupo Cosh, Eyasa and Gavil Ingeniería. The section of the route will require total investment of US$15 billion pesos (US$630 million).

CCCC has a chequered record. In 2011, it was blacklisted by the World Bank for fraudulent practices in projects in the Philippines. It has also been suspected of corruption in a railway project in Malaysia. In Bangladesh, government officials accused one of its subsidiaries, China Harbor Engineering Corporation, of paying commissions illegally. The company was also accused of corruption during the construction of a port in Tanzania.............................

I have read that passenger train service in Mexico ended many years ago.

So I am delighted that it may be coming back.

Hopefully, many tourists (both domestic & foreign) will ride it.

There is nothing like a choo choo train. (I am 83 years old,)

I have read that passenger train service in Mexico ended many years ago.

So I am delighted that it may be coming back.

Hopefully, many tourists (both domestic & foreign) will ride it.

There is nothing like a choo choo train. (I am 83 years old,)
Passenger service still exists
20140920_AMP001_0.jpg

There are plenty of touristy sites like Chichen Itza that are close to Cancun. No legit reason to build tracks through that existing rain forest or whatever it is. N. American or Europeans are not going to pack onto a train either. Most just hang around the resort. But as always follow the money.

The Chinese partner that will build part of the Mayan Train (Tren Maya) in southern Mexico is involved in more than 50 projects in at least 19 Latin American and Caribbean countries, thanks in large part to capital from the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China. Yet on the train’s official website, no details are given about the company or its other works in the region.
In late April, amid the Covid-19 pandemic, it was announced that the Mota-Engil Mexico Consortium had won the tender to build the first section of the Mayan Train, and would work with China Communications Construction Company (CCCC), Grupo Cosh, Eyasa and Gavil Ingeniería. The section of the route will require total investment of US$15 billion pesos (US$630 million).

CCCC has a chequered record. In 2011, it was blacklisted by the World Bank for fraudulent practices in projects in the Philippines. It has also been suspected of corruption in a railway project in Malaysia. In Bangladesh, government officials accused one of its subsidiaries, China Harbor Engineering Corporation, of paying commissions illegally. The company was also accused of corruption during the construction of a port in Tanzania.............................

Thanks. That clears up some of the misinformation that I had regarding the project.

New Topics

Forum List

Back