Innumeracy, A Threat to the Nation?

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
Taking the most famous example of innumeracy: Climate Change; back in 1961 Edward Lorenz refuted this idiocy before it was born and did so in the meteorology Dept. of MIT.

The refutation was quite simple the number of decimal places of the weather model in the primitive computer he was using rounded to six decimal places, the print out of the results rounded to five decimals. When attempting replication of results using the printout numbers the models diverged.

After numerous attempts to debug the program by Lorenz and others the conclusion was reached that Chaos, unpredictability in a deterministic system, existed in all predictive models. "Chaos" by James Gleick explained this problem in simple language back in 1987 in an NYT best seller. At the limit weather and therefore climate change which uses the same data sets could conceivably predict under ideal conditions 90 days out. That the photon emission frequencies of H2O and CO2 do not support any of the Climate Change models yet used is another problem that lies outside of my circle of competence.

Another numeracy problem is real income direction v. what normal people see. What is not normally addressed is real income volatility which is sky-rocketing.

So how much of a threat is innumeracy?

Taking the most famous example of innumeracy: Climate Change; back in 1961 Edward Lorenz refuted this idiocy before it was born and did so in the meteorology Dept. of MIT.

The refutation was quite simple the number of decimal places of the weather model in the primitive computer he was using rounded to six decimal places, the print out of the results rounded to five decimals. When attempting replication of results using the printout numbers the models diverged.

After numerous attempts to debug the program by Lorenz and others the conclusion was reached that Chaos, unpredictability in a deterministic system, existed in all predictive models. "Chaos" by James Gleick explained this problem in simple language back in 1987 in an NYT best seller. At the limit weather and therefore climate change which uses the same data sets could conceivably predict under ideal conditions 90 days out. That the photon emission frequencies of H2O and CO2 do not support any of the Climate Change models yet used is another problem that lies outside of my circle of competence.

Another numeracy problem is real income direction v. what normal people see. What is not normally addressed is real income volatility which is sky-rocketing.

You said it yourself, "primitive computer". That's says it all. Did you know there's more technology crammed into an iPhone than was in Apollo 11? Chew on that for awhile.
The Apollo 11 mission's computers were less powerful than today's mobile phones - Computer Weekly Editors Blog

You said it yourself, "primitive computer". That's says it all. Did you know there's more technology crammed into an iPhone than was in Apollo 11? Chew on that for awhile.
The Apollo 11 mission's computers were less powerful than today's mobile phones - Computer Weekly Editors Blog

True but the limits of data measurement and useful computation still exists and some of the workarounds are crazy making too. Fuzzy Logic for example is based on the disutility of set definitions in the real world with the transition from cup to mug being the classic example.

I think Canucks sitting along an unguarded Canadian-USA border is a greater threat.

We need a Great Wall Of Canada to go along with our future Great Wall Of Mexico too.

:D

First it was Air Pollution, then it was Acid Rain, then it was Global Cooling, then it was Global Warming and now it's Climate Change. Fuck these idiots,

First it was Air Pollution, then it was Acid Rain, then it was Global Cooling, then it was Global Warming and now it's Climate Change. Fuck these idiots,

Maybe you are not worried about STDs but I am, no thanks.

Get a jump on the crowd, all that the "Climate Change" folks want is your money. Send it to them now.

The climate change girls are both wacko and butt ugly as to the boys I don't swing that way.

Get a jump on the crowd, all that the "Climate Change" folks want is your money. Send it to them now.

The climate change girls are both wacko and butt ugly as to the boys I don't swing that way.

Send them your money, you seem a true patriot.

Don't know what Innumeracy is; don't understand much about the prediction of future atmospherics (and don't think anyone else does)....but I am enjoying this thread.

And I do understand human nature...weathermen are human, and if they can gets federal grants out of the Obama Administration to find problems with the atmosphere....they are going to find problems with the atmosphere.

Maybe that's what Innumeracy is. Giving a Pinhead at one of these Loon Bin Universities the money to find problems and they will find problems. Give a Loon Professor some more money to figure out how to deal with the problems and his children and grand-children become Trust Babies off the Government.

Innumeracy: Never trust anyone who is butt-sniffing for a Federal Grant from a Democratic Administration.

Don't know what Innumeracy is; don't understand much about the prediction of future atmospherics (and don't think anyone else does)....but I am enjoying this thread.

And I do understand human nature...weathermen are human, and if they can gets federal grants out of the Obama Administration to find problems with the atmosphere....they are going to find problems with the atmosphere.

Maybe that's what Innumeracy is. Giving a Pinhead at one of these Loon Bin Universities the money to find problems and they will find problems. Give a Loon Professor some more money to figure out how to deal with the problems and his children and grand-children become Trust Babies off the Government.

Innumeracy: Never trust anyone who is butt-sniffing for a Federal Grant from a Democratic Administration.

Neither did he until he got that word of the day calendar.

I take it neither finite math nor logistics was required learning at your highest grade achieved?

Forum List

Back