Intent and/or purpose.

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
When speaking of an object what defines its purpose?

Is the purpose of any object defined by the creator of that object or does the intent of the person using that object define its purpose?

The intent of the person using that object define its purpose, as an object can have multiple purposes.

The way people use a thing is what defines its purpose. Coca-Cola was invented for medicinal purposes, if I'm not mistaken, but was ultimately embraced as a refreshment.
For upset stomachs as Coke Syrup. Would love to polish a bottle off when Coke had coke and go wax the car..

Is the purpose of any object defined by the creator of that object or does the intent of the person using that object define its purpose?
The purpose of any object is defined by the observer of that object... and I’d dare to say that every object has a different purpose to each observer.

The way people use a thing is what defines its purpose. Coca-Cola was invented for medicinal purposes, if I'm not mistaken, but was ultimately embraced as a refreshment.
For upset stomachs as Coke Syrup. Would love to polish a bottle off when Coke had coke and go wax the car..
...I drink white [ OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! ] soda when I have an upset stomach and it usually works

like guns?

A gun is a tool, like any other. It is no better or worse than a hammer or a wrench, all of which can be abused to commit murder with.
Guns are better in the sense that it is a faster and more efficient tool when used to kill. You can kill more people in a faster amount of time from a longer range making it a more dangerous and effective tool.

Guns are better in the sense that it is a faster and more efficient tool when used to kill. You can kill more people in a faster amount of time from a longer range making it a more dangerous and effective tool.

That is a value judgement. You are anthropomorphizing an inanimate object to promote your political agenda.

I think most tools are created with a purpose in mind, but many if not most have been repurposed for other uses that were discovered later.

The purpose of any object is defined by the observer of that object... and I’d dare to say that every object has a different purpose to each observer.
observer or user?

observer or user?
Both. The purpose of any object is different for each individual. Even the ones that use the object in a similar way

The definition of purpose is the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists.

A screw driver can be used to hammer in a nail but it was made to turn screws. A hammer is a much better tool to hammer nails than a screwdriver because a hammer was made to hammer nails. So while one can try to use a screwdriver to hammer nails and can try to use a hammer to turn screws the overarching purpose of each tool is what it was designed for not for what it was used for. Only in that very narrow instance of trying to use a tool for something it wasn't designed for can it be said it is that tools purpose but only for that point in time. For all other points in time it's purpose is what it was made for.

Forum List

Back