Iraq is imploding. Should we lend air support or wash our hands?

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
The terrorists are now marching on Bagdad. The Iraq government is asking for help, should we oblige?
Seems strange to me that we would spend all the money & lives just to let it fall in a matter of weeks/months.

The terrorists are now marching on Bagdad. The Iraq government is asking for help, should we oblige?
Seems strange to me that we would spend all the money & lives just to let it fall in a matter of weeks/months.

Remember these words from two members of the current administration that helped encourage these terrorists and in doing so did
what this Harvard study showed:

Senator Kerry (now Secretary of State) (D) "American soldiers going into the homes of Iraqis in the
dead of night, terrorizing kids and children."
Senator Obama (Now President) said "troops are air-raiding villages and killing civilians,"

This Harvard study found here THE "EMBOLDENMENT EFFECT"

asked: "Are insurgents in Iraq emboldened by voices in the news media expressing dissent or calling for troop withdrawals from Iraq?

The short answer is YES!!! according to Radha Iyengar, a Robert Wood Johnson Scholar in health policy
research at Harvard and Jonathan Monten of the Belfer Center at the university's Kennedy School of Government.

STUDY ABSTRACT
Are insurgents affected by information on US casualty sensitivity? Using data on attacks and variation in access to international news across Iraqi provinces, we identify an “emboldenment” effect by comparing the rate of insurgent attacks in areas with higher and lower access to information about U.S news after public statements critical of the war. (wouldn't you conclude the next president accusing the US military of methodically and systematically air raiding villages killing civilians.. dissent???) We find in periods after a spike in war-critical statements, insurgent attacks increases by 5-10 percent.

So you tell me who helped this situation???

• Banned
I have mixed feelings on this.

On one hand the middle east is a cesspool of savages and I just wish they would all kill each other off.

On the other hand do we stand by and let these savages gain control of a nation from which they would gain military assets to use against us?

Ignoring them won't make them leave us alone so whats the solution?

As the GOP always says, how are we going to pay for it?
How much blood and treasure are we going to piss away on an Iraqi "government" that can't function as a government, an Iraqi "army" that can't function as an army, and an Iraqi "police force" that can't function as a police force?

If Congress wants the President to use military force again in Iraq let them vote on a resolution supporting President Obama and giving him the resources necessary.

I say just arm the crap out of the Kurds and let them handle it. They are the only ethnic group in the area that like us anyway.

Remember these words from two members of the current administration that helped encourage these terrorists and in doing so did

Senator Kerry (now Secretary of State) (D) "American soldiers going into the homes of Iraqis in the
Senator Obama (Now President) said "troops are air-raiding villages and killing civilians,"

asked: "Are insurgents in Iraq emboldened by voices in the news media expressing dissent or calling for troop withdrawals from Iraq?

The short answer is YES!!! according to Radha Iyengar, a Robert Wood Johnson Scholar in health policy
research at Harvard and Jonathan Monten of the Belfer Center at the university's Kennedy School of Government.

STUDY ABSTRACT
Are insurgents affected by information on US casualty sensitivity? Using data on attacks and variation in access to international news across Iraqi provinces, we identify an “emboldenment” effect by comparing the rate of insurgent attacks in areas with higher and lower access to information about U.S news after public statements critical of the war. (wouldn't you conclude the next president accusing the US military of methodically and systematically air raiding villages killing civilians.. dissent???) We find in periods after a spike in war-critical statements, insurgent attacks increases by 5-10 percent.

Ah the same out of context (lies) quotes that healthmyth continuously posts.

Nope fuck them. ..they wanted us out...we shouldnt have been there..This is what was said would happen when bush when in...

Hey Obama's administration released the son of a murdering bitch Baghdadi in 2009 and have allowed him to develop an army of 12,000 in Syria.

Obama owns this crew of freaking terrorists. He wanted Assad toppled so badly he turned a blind eye to AQ in Syria.

And now the Ghost and his band of blood letting monsters are beheading their way to Baghdad. All this blood is on Obama's hands.

Last edited:
This is what happens when religious sectarianism trumps nationalism. Not something the military can solve old man.

I have no illusions that we can fix/stop their problems. However if minimal air strikes could buy enough time for them to get serious about solving their own problems now that they can see their own demise I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Nope fuck them. ..they wanted us out...we shouldnt have been there..This is what was said would happen when bush when in...

Hey Obama's administration released the son of a murdering bitch Baghdadi in 2009 and have allowed him to develop an army of 12,000 in Syria.

Obama owns this crew of freaking terrorists. He wanted Assad toppled so badly he turned a blind eye to AQ in Syria.

Hey you've posted this a hundred times already...
He owns nothing...shut up

I have mixed feelings on this.

On one hand the middle east is a cesspool of savages and I just wish they would all kill each other off.

On the other hand do we stand by and let these savages gain control of a nation from which they would gain military assets to use against us?

Ignoring them won't make them leave us alone so whats the solution?

I appreciate your honesty regarding your mixed emotions. Life is nuance, yet few people here will admit that a given issue isn't simple and black & white.

We have to learn to stop sticking our nose in the business of others. Example after example should be showing us that we're not very good at considering the negative ramifications of our actions.

At the same time - we've already stuck our nose into Iraq and I guess I wouldn't blame Obama if he blew some of these assholes away.

I just wish we'd stop creating messes like this, those that lead to two bad fucking choices.

STUDY ABSTRACT

No lies and how is "we have lost the war" OUT OF CONTEXT. in other words you really have no argument.

STUDY ABSTRACT

No lies and how is "we have lost the war" OUT OF CONTEXT. in other words you really have no argument.

Jesus fucking Chryst, you can't even get the out of context quote right. "..the war is lost"

Full quote.

"As long as we follow the President's path in Iraq, the war is lost. But there is still a chance to change course and we must change course.

Forum List

Back