Is English not the required language for the title & main body of USMB posts?

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
Notice the language used for multiple topics shown on the active topics list.

upload_2018-3-26_0-54-13.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-26_0-53-31.png
    upload_2018-3-26_0-53-31.png
    75.6 KB · Views: 338
A spammer, Kat appears to have taken care of them. They’ve been hitting for a few nights now when no one is looking.

A spammer, Kat appears to have taken care of them. They’ve been hitting for a few nights now when no one is looking.

Its best not to piss off Kat.. she makes things and people dissapear

Its best not to piss off Kat.. she makes things and people dissapear
I'm not sure if you're genuinely implying something about Kat's character that has escaped me, but I know that your hyperbolic description of Kat's comportment has not been by me observed.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat

View attachment 184724

They're spam anyway, so they're getting taken down as fast as the mods can take them down.

This has been happening for a week already.
I too have noticed that the incidence of spamming, as it were, has rather suddenly and recently beset USMB.

But this seems to be a targeted spam by one person, or one group of individuals, probably based in China due to the time that this seems to be happening.

Why? Are they trying to disrupt political discourse? If so they aren't doing a very good job, not that much talk about China is actually happening anyway.

View attachment 184724

They're spam anyway, so they're getting taken down as fast as the mods can take them down.

I didn't look real close or click on any but on my screen there were some Roman characters and/or numbers mixed in.

Yes, the Chinese use Roman characters too.

They have PinYin which is the Romanization of their words. It makes it easier for foreigners to learn Chinese and also for kids to learn Chinese phonetically.

View attachment 184724

I too have noticed that the incidence of spamming, as it were, has rather suddenly and recently beset USMB.

But this seems to be a targeted spam by one person, or one group of individuals, probably based in China due to the time that this seems to be happening.

Why? Are they trying to disrupt political discourse? If so they aren't doing a very good job, not that much talk about China is actually happening anyway.
That is definitely the "$64K question." I speculate that it's being done for practice or personal entertainment purposes.

View attachment 184724

That is definitely the "$64K question." I speculate that it's being done for practice or personal entertainment purposes.

Yes, what they're advertising is ridiculous on this forum, and there are those in Chinese and others with just simple words.

They have PinYin which is the Romanization of their words. It makes it easier for foreigners to learn Chinese and also for kids to learn Chinese phonetically.
It makes it easier for foreigners to learn Chinese
I can attest to that. I have learned but a handful of hanzi, but I can speak "get by" Mandarin and communicate in writing using pinyin, but for business meetings I need a translator.

Chinese people use pinyin for texting and other typing applications. On, say, a phone, they type in pinyin and the phone presents the hanzi options that apply, much like when you or I type text messages and the phone displays a selection of words matching what we've thus far typed, with the most commonly used one being the first on the list. So long as the first "listed word" is the one the user wants, that's what the phone inserts, if it's not, the user can select other options.

I didn't know that's how it worked until I bought a Chinese copy of an iPhone and used it to text associates and acquaintances in China. They responded to me in hanzi, which the phone doesn't convert back to pinyin. They were surprised that I'd so quickly picked up Mandarin, which, of course, I had not. I had to ask them to either text back in pinyin or English. LOL

Aside:
In case one is curious, the Chinese copies of western tech products/devices work quite well and are built well given the price one pays, which is dramatically less expensive than are the "real things." At the time in the PRC, an authentic iPhone cost the "world" price plus China's tariff on it, whereas an effective enough imitation that, though not as fully featured, ably handled the basics (phone, text, email, web surfing, picture taking, and video recording and playback) cost between $25 and $100, depending on one's haggling skills.

My being a white guy who's obviously not a Chinese citizen had a materially limiting impact on my haggling results because they knew damn well that people like me are, compared to Chinese, "made of money" had the means to pay. I was able to get the price down to ~$60, but my associates there all told me I paid too much. I learned my lesson. From that point on, I only went shopping with someone who is Chinese and let them do the haggling and execute the transaction.​

You k now, I'm seeing a pattern here. There's no moderator on the site right now and the active topics list is again flooded with these Mandarin posts. When I created this thread, there was then too no moderator present in the forum.

It makes it easier for foreigners to learn Chinese
I can attest to that. I have learned but a handful of hanzi, but I can speak "get by" Mandarin and communicate in writing using pinyin, but for business meetings I need a translator.

Chinese people use pinyin for texting and other typing applications. On, say, a phone, they type in pinyin and the phone presents the hanzi options that apply, much like when you or I type text messages and the phone displays a selection of words matching what we've thus far typed, with the most commonly used one being the first on the list. So long as the first "listed word" is the one the user wants, that's what the phone inserts, if it's not, the user can select other options.

I didn't know that's how it worked until I bought a Chinese copy of an iPhone and used it to text associates and acquaintances in China. They responded to me in hanzi, which the phone doesn't convert back to pinyin. They were surprised that I'd so quickly picked up Mandarin, which, of course, I had not. I had to ask them to either text back in pinyin or English. LOL

Aside:
In case one is curious, the Chinese copies of western tech products/devices work quite well and are built well given the price one pays, which is dramatically less expensive than are the "real things." At the time in the PRC, an authentic iPhone cost the "world" price plus China's tariff on it, whereas an effective enough imitation that, though not as fully featured, ably handled the basics (phone, text, email, web surfing, picture taking, and video recording and playback) cost between $25 and $100, depending on one's haggling skills.

My being a white guy who's obviously not a Chinese citizen had a materially limiting impact on my haggling results because they knew damn well that people like me are, compared to Chinese, "made of money" had the means to pay. I was able to get the price down to ~$60, but my associates there all told me I paid too much. I learned my lesson. From that point on, I only went shopping with someone who is Chinese and let them do the haggling and execute the transaction.​

You don't need a Chinese phone, you can just add languages to your phone, at least I've done that. I don't write much in Chinese on my phone, mostly just practicing on paper. But sometimes it's easier that way, you type it in and something hopefully pops up that you recognize.

Xelor, yes spammers usual hit when no mod is around, hoping someone will click through, as they usually are paid per click thru, from what I have read. In this case, it seems they were hired by some agency to advertise for a university (from what someone else said, it seemed to be for a university). There is probably an identifier in each link they post which, when clicked, gives them credit. This has been happening for years on forums. Forums usually have some built in mechanism to help identify spammers that are bots before they can get fully registered, but they eventually find a way around it. And if it is real individuals they just answer the text box like a captcha, which gets you right in, if answered correctly.
That is why some forums make each new registry wait for a mod to approve them before they can post. I don’t believe usmb does, as it can be time intensive for mods.
Kat had to delete each of those new spammers that had registered when she came on last night. That is why I was saying she had her work cut out for her, as the spammers had been busy. She had to clean up/delete their mess.

Xelor, yes spammers usual hit when no mod is around, hoping someone will click through, as they usually are paid per click thru, from what I have read. In this case, it seems they were hired by some agency to advertise for a university (from what someone else said, it seemed to be for a university). There is probably an identifier in each link they post which, when clicked, gives them credit. This has been happening for years on forums. Forums usually have some built in mechanism to help identify spammers that are bots before they can get fully registered, but they eventually find a way around it. And if it is real individuals they just answer the text box like a captcha, which gets you right in, if answered correctly.
That is why some forums make each new registry wait for a mod to approve them before they can post. I don’t believe usmb does, as it can be time intensive for mods.
Kat had to delete each of those new spammers that had registered when she came on last night. That is why I was saying she had her work cut out for her, as the spammers had been busy. She had to clean up/delete their mess.
But why would they advertise in Chinese on USMB? Seems more like deliberate harassment.

Forum List

Back