Isn't this sad...30-30 ammo

Invisibleflash

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2019
Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd home-Rustbelt is home base
Saw this at Calguns forum...

30-30 ammo
I am in search of any 30-30 ammo. Will pay reasonable market price. I am located in Sonora, CA but will travel up too two hours or 150 miles. TEXT me...

30-30 was one of the most common calibers that you could always depend on being available along with '06 during any ammo shortage. But both have dried up for the last couple months in the rustbelt.

If you got a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 8mm Mauser you are in luck. Both calibers were in stock for a handful of boxes. Along with some oddball rifle calibers that few people have heard of.

Pistol calibers and .22= zero availability here. Biden is smiling.

Biden gun strip LR.jpg

I pictured this at the local Walmart the other day. We live in a rural area where deer season is almost celebrated like Christmas. Let's see: Four boxes of .350 Remington Magnum, which nobody's ever heard of, and two other calibers of ammo which don't go to a rifle anyone owns. Fortunately for me, I handload in several different calibers, so no ammo shortage here. I have about 500 rounds of 30-06 using different weight bullets.

walmart ammo1.jpg

walmart ammo2.jpg

Nothing to do with Biden and everything to do with scared dumb-asses buying up everything. "Biden gonna take my guns so I gotta buy more guns". Dumbasses. I pretty much had to quit shooting and hold on to what I have because panic buying has made the cost prohibitive.

Nothing to do with Biden and everything to do with scared dumb-asses buying up everything. "Biden gonna take my guns so I gotta buy more guns". Dumbasses. I pretty much had to quit shooting and hold on to what I have because panic buying has made the cost prohibitive.

Seems to me like buying up all the ammo you can before it becomes unavailable, is not "dumbassery".

It's really quite smart. The only "dumbasses" are the ones who didn't prepare in advance.

Wanna buy some 9mm? How's $1 a round sound? I do take Paypal.

:laughing0301:

Seems to me like buying up all the ammo you can before it becomes unavailable, is not "dumbassery".

It's really quite smart. The only "dumbasses" are the ones who didn't prepare in advance.

I'm fine. It's just ridiculous how well gun and ammo manufacturers have the gun nutters trained to pay whatever ridiculous price they charge based on a fear of something that will never happen.

I'm fine. It's just ridiculous how well gun and ammo manufacturers have the gun nutters trained to pay whatever ridiculous price they charge based on a fear of something that will never happen.

Seeing how you bitched about the price and that you'd be willing to pay it, wouldn't you be a "gun nutter" too?

What do you have in store? Two boxes of 50 rounds? Four boxes? Do you even know how fast that would get burned up in a firefight?

What about spare magazines? You do have spare magazines, don't you?

Last edited:

Seeing how you bitched about the price and that you'd be willing to pay it, wouldn't you be a "gun nutter" too?

What do you have in store? Two boxes of 50 rounds? Four boxes? Do you even know how fast that would get burned up in a firefight?
A firefight with who? The government? Pretty sure they have more and better. I like to shoot but what separates me from gun nutters is that I have no fear that government is going to take them away, I do not see them as some kind of political statement and I have a realistic view of their necessity and utility as protection. They are simply my most expensive and least used tools.

A firefight with who? the government? Pretty sure they have more and better. I like to shoot but what separates me from gun nutters is that I have no fear that government is going to take them away, I do not see them as some kind of political statement and I have a realistic view of their necessity and utility as protection. They are simply my most expensive and least used tools.

No, not the government. They're the last ones you need to worry about. If the shit hits the fan, they're all going to be hunkered down at home with their own families.

What you'd really need to be concerned about would be roving gangs of desperate hungry people whose SNAP cards no longer work, willing to kill you for whatever morsel of food, bottled water, or anything else of value that you might have.

What would it take? We are not as strong as a country as we think we are. Suppose the power grid is attacked: It would take approximately five days before all hell breaks loose. Water would become unavailable in most cities, stores would be emptied out within the first two days. No power, no lights, no heat, no gasoline, no radio, no television, no internet.

That's some serious shit we're talking about and yes, even though we're the most powerful country in the world, it could happen here.

An armed society is a polite society ...

Even more, an armed society is the last line of defense, should law-enforcement and the military fail. I'm not big into "organized militias", but if we ever lost our police and military presence, armed citizens would the only resemblance of order that would be left standing.

I pictured this at the local Walmart the other day. We live in a rural area where deer season is almost celebrated like Christmas. Let's see: Four boxes of .350 Remington Magnum, which nobody's ever heard of, and two other calibers of ammo which don't go to a rifle anyone owns. Fortunately for me, I handload in several different calibers, so no ammo shortage here. I have about 500 rounds of 30-06 using different weight bullets.

View attachment 418543

View attachment 418545

Yeah but even the materials for hand loading are becoming extremely scarce and expensive now. It's crazy. Any time I see a pre-purchase backorder sale for decent ammo offered by Brownwells/OpticsPlanet/etc, I jump on it. It takes a little longer to arrive, but at least it's not costing 5x the market rate from a year ago.

A firefight with who? the government? Pretty sure they have more and better. I like to shoot but what separates me from gun nutters is that I have no fear that government is going to take them away, I do not see them as some kind of political statement and I have a realistic view of their necessity and utility as protection. They are simply my most expensive and least used tools.

No, not the government. They're the last ones you need to worry about. If the shit hits the fan, they're all going to be hunkered down at home with their own families.

What you'd really need to be concerned about would be roving gangs of desperate hungry people whose SNAP cards no longer work, willing to kill you for whatever morsel of food, bottled water, or anything else of value that you might have.

What would it take? We are not as strong as a country as we think we are. Suppose the power grid is attacked: It would take approximately five days before all hell breaks loose. Water would become unavailable in most cities, stores would be emptied out within the first two days. No power, no lights, no heat, no gasoline, no radio, no television, no internet.

That's some serious shit we're talking about and yes, even though we're the most powerful country in the world, it could happen here.

Yep, exactly, but it wouldn't take anywhere near 5 days for a total societal collapse in that scenario. And that is a very real scenario.

I've lived through at least a dozen hurricanes, the last one was a direct hit by Michael two years ago. Our town did not get a delivery of anything essential for about 10 days. It sucked balls but we did not go looting and killing. We helped each other and shared what we had. You might have seen us on TV cutting up downed trees and patching roofs for our neighbors. I donated all kinds of labor and materials. That's what Americans do when the shit hits the fan.

Don't forget that a lot of people who lived in dangerous neighborhoods who desperately wished they had a gun to defend themselves and their families who couldn't previously afford to buy a gun got a windfall $1200 check, plus unemployment benefits that were several hundred dollars more per month than their regular pay.

You can get a pretty good quality gun for $1200.

Don't forget that a lot of people who lived in dangerous neighborhoods who desperately wished they had a gun to defend themselves and their families who couldn't previously afford to buy a gun got a windfall $1200 check, plus unemployment benefits that were several hundred dollars more per month than their regular pay.

You can get a pretty good quality gun for $1200.

The gun law battle is pretty much over except in the minds of the nutters. More "leftists" than they would ever believe have guns, we just don't go around advertising it.

Yeah.... no.
That ain't why everybody started stocking up, guy. Don't be simple.

A firefight with who? The government? Pretty sure they have more and better. I like to shoot but what separates me from gun nutters is that I have no fear that government is going to take them away, I do not see them as some kind of political statement and I have a realistic view of their necessity and utility as protection. They are simply my most expensive and least used tools.
So you have never read a history book in your life, then?

:rolleyes:

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Secrets...s_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=ff0d01-20
It happened to this guy, in Sarajevo.

View attachment 418543

View attachment 418545

Yeah but even the materials for hand loading are becoming extremely scarce and expensive now. It's crazy. Any time I see a pre-purchase backorder sale for decent ammo offered by Brownwells/OpticsPlanet/etc, I jump on it. It takes a little longer to arrive, but at least it's not costing 5x the market rate from a year ago.

I'm seeing that. Two months ago, the price for small pistol primers was about $3-$4 per hundred or $30-$40 per box of 1,000. Those are the ones used in 9mm ammo. None of the reloading supply places around here has them anymore and they're bringing up to $350 per thousand now. I did manage to score a decent stash of primers at some garage sales last summer, so I'm good.

Same thing with small rifle, large rifle, and large pistol magnum primers. They seem to be made of unobtanium now. I still have access to a wide variety of powders, thanks to a local gun shop that over-bought a couple years ago, but you have to take what you can get. No more Alliant 2400 or Unique for magnum handloads, but plenty of other brands and types. It's just time-consuming working up loads every time you change powder or bullet weight.

Plenty of Hodgdon Titegroup too, which is good for most any pistol calibers. It takes smaller charges but is wicked to work with, as a one/tenth of a grain increase can cause a massive pressure spike, and turn your pistol into a hand grenade.

Bullets are scarce too: Anything in a .355 diameter (9mm), especially the jacketed ones. There are still plenty of cast lead/tin bullets around made by ACME or other companies, and their Hy-Tek polymer-coated bullets are pretty good if you keep them below 1200 fps.

And then there are the two 5-gallon buckets of wheel weights behind the house. I have bullet molds for 9mm, 38 Special, .44 magnum, 30-06, British .303, and several muzzle-loading rifles and pistols, which use only pure lead. Plenty of Pyrodex powder and percussion caps for the muzzle-loaders.

As for commercial ammo, I spent the last ten years buying up what I could find at garage sales. Probably have 10,000 rounds of 7.62x39mm for the AK, and a bunch of other calibers I don't even have the gun for. Probably have too much .22 LR too.

Forum List

Back