It's a nightmare in Atlanta.

Its a combination of lack of preparedness and doing the wrong thing during the event.

When they let schools out, government employees out, and told people to head home early all at the same time, a clusterfuck was inevitable.

We've actually had that problem in the past. Now they do a staggard plan. kids are the first to go, if they have school at all. If they are expecting really bad weather the kids stay home to begin with. Then they begin to release state employees and they ask the various businesses to let out by a certain time. There is still traffic but not a complete shutdown.

What part of the country do you live in, LR?

Connecticut

We've actually had that problem in the past. Now they do a staggard plan. kids are the first to go, if they have school at all. If they are expecting really bad weather the kids stay home to begin with. Then they begin to release state employees and they ask the various businesses to let out by a certain time. There is still traffic but not a complete shutdown.

What part of the country do you live in, LR?

Connecticut

Oh yeah, you guys have been hit this year too.

They're saying too many jacknifed trucks. They don't know where to start to get them all out of the way. Plus they still have icy roads, it's 32 there today.

Its a combination of lack of preparedness and doing the wrong thing during the event.

When they let schools out, government employees out, and told people to head home early all at the same time, a clusterfuck was inevitable.

They're very lucky they haven't had this terrible cold that we are having. People would be dying out there on that highway.

I have a feeling 32 degrees in Georgia IS terrible cold, I dont see the need for many Carhartt or NorthFace jackets down there.

Oh my God, my sis has gotten a huge promotion with her company and is moving to Atlanta in June. I just texted her and asked if she was glad not to be down there right now. She's there.

She said she's ok and it's really wild but she is down there now.

Oh my God, my sis has gotten a huge promotion with her company and is moving to Atlanta in June. I just texted her and asked if she was glad not to be down there right now. She's there.

She said she's ok and it's really wild but she is down there now.

Your sister will love it. While much of the country is still digging out of snow, we have had several days of beautiful weather.

I'm firing up my grill and cooking dinner outside.

gawd people today are wussies

waaaa, the snow and ice

I lived threw the blizzard of 82 in Denver...shut down the whole town...people were stuck in a mall for three days...only vehicles allowed were emergency and a call for anyone with four wheelers or snowmachine, (snowmobiles)...

snip:
A memorable blizzard descended on the city on Christmas Eve, 1982, and dumped almost two feet of snow over the following day, virtually closing the city. People unable to get to holiday celebrations or work found a challenging environment awaited when they ventured out. They were seen breaking trails on city streets on horseback, skis and snowshoes. Drivers of four-wheel-drive vehicles were requested to ferry patients and staff to hospitals in emergency situations.

A list of Colorado's historic blizzards and snowstorms

To be fair....Colorado expects and prepares for this kind of weather....Georgia does not. I'd hate to think what would happen here if we had even 2 inches of snow.

Exactly. I lived in North Carolina where they had a snowstorm once. People were flying off the road and driving like idiots. It was really amazing.

I was still in Denver in 1982 and it was bad. We were without power for 3 days and snow drifted against our front doors so high we could not get out. Our back door was under a Ramada so we were able to get to our firewood.

We had a fireplace and one cast iron frying pan. I remember very well that we had leftover mushroom stroganoff. We stayed in the living room, wearing several layers and sleeping in our couch bed, taking turns getting out from under the covers to put another log on the fire.

At one point, during the night, I was awakened by the whimpering of one of our dogs, a small cockapoo mix I had found wandering alone in an open field when he weighed 2 1/4 pounds. He was almost an adult at the time of the blizzard but still a baby at heart. I asked him if he wanted in and he whimpered a "yes" in doggy talk. I held up the covers and he hopped up. We were spoons the rest of the night.

Poor dogs just hated going out and didn't stay any longer than necessary. for that matter, the only time we went out was to get more wood.

I've always measured the cold by the number of cats on the bed at night. That was a 6 cat blizzard and they formed our Cat Quilt. We all shared the warmth. Good thing we didn't have a horse.

We were young though and able to deal with this. Older people didn't do very well and some died.

Poor Atlanta is not prepared for the kind of weather we took for granted in Denver. To make fun of the plight of people dealing with a disaster is despicable. But, sadly, not a surprise.

Very cold again here and supposed to get colder.

The pelicans are here. I've been watching 6 of them on the lake today. One never flies with the others. He just stays where he is. The others come and go but he stays - floating out there in the middle of the lake.

Its 24 degrees. I've rehabbed pelicans before but if there's something wrong, there's not a thing I can do for him.

I keep hoping I'll look and find him gone.

Lots of eagles but I think he's probably too big for them to take.

Glo-bell Warming! Get yer red hot glo-bell warming folks!

Double thanks for that one Zoom! You're not alone on that.

WTF is going on down there? Didn't the South know this was coming? Seriously if you know you don't have the equipment to deal with snow and Ice, tell everybody to stay home. There were school buses full of kids stuck on the roads overnight with no food, water and toilets. It takes at least three feet of snow here to possibly cause something like that to happen. I don't ever recall anyone getting stuck at school or on a bus because the kids were the first to be sent home or better yet, they didn't go to school in the first place. Unbelieveable.

I'm not in Atlanta either, but in fairness to the those in Atlanta, LR, that storm warning was not given. It was totally unanticipated. We had no warning whatsoever up here in Knoxville and we were hammered. We were expecting some minor dusting.

We in the south don't experience snow that often and don't have the equipment that's an absolute necessity in other areas. As an outsider, I think Atlanta officials did a good job of preparing for the following storm.

Forum List

Back