It's Perfectly Legal To Film The Cops

Video # 1 - The cow would not move to the sidewalk.

Video # 2 - The dog takes after his mad owner - mad dog.

Video # 3 - Dog, viciously wagging its tail, had to be put down. Deputy only given one bullet by his Sherriff.

Video # 4 - Video compiler was once given a ticket for jaywalking.

How about I put a bullet in your brain if you get in the road??????

It is ALWAYS legal to film police in public. Taping private conversations when the individual doesn't know he is being taped is another matter.

No it's not. As many camera-phones now include audio, as you pointed out if it's recording audio as well it's not legal. Breaks Federal wiretapping laws. Straight video/pictures is legal but with provisions like you can't physically impede an officer in the process. You stand in their path doing it and it's not legal. Plus this is all Federal law. State laws might vary. As with other Federal-State legal issues, just because the Federal Law says one thing doesn't mean it's legal in every state.

Should be careful making absolute statements like "it's always legal to..."

Plus there's a difference between what's legal, and what's a good idea. Officer tells you to do something, unless you wanna spend you life savings in court asserting your rights, might wanna just obey the officer.

Wrong. Filming in public WITH audio is perfectly legal. Holding up your phone or camera is sufficient "warning" that filming is occurring.

But it can still get you killed. Contempt of cop is often punished with summary execution on the spot.

You may have the right but not right where you want. If you are too close, and camera phones aren't known for sporting telephoto lenses, you have to move. That's why so many get into trouble, they are too stupid to understand they can't do anything they want any time they want.

I have never seen a Smartphone WITHOUT a zoom...even my $35 Kyocera has one.

Forum List

Back