Jay Leno's Garage is back with a 1931 Duesenberg .

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
From last week....

1930-1939 | Duesenberg Model SJ | 140mph
Four years after making the Model J, Duesenberg participated in the most time-honored of gearhead traditions: it souped the hell out of it. The supercharged Model SJ that debuted in 1932 could do 140mph, and a speciall -prepped one-off called the Mormon Meteor wound up topping 170mph, and held the record for highest average speed over a 24-hour period until 1990.

Here's one from this week...

Who would go 170/mph with little to no brakes?
Bonnie and Clyde.
1619399607727.png

At 170 mph, who needs them. LOL
Yeah, if you got a heck of a lot of open road or salt flats it could work. At least it's heavy enough to stay on the ground, I have had a couple of these modern cars totally fly in the air above 150/mph

Clearly you've never heard about aerodynamics. Modern cars don't "fly" when they hit 150. Any car that can get to that speed will be solidly planted on the ground thanks to the downforce the bodywork generates.

Peddle your lies elsewhere

Clearly you've never heard about aerodynamics. Modern cars don't "fly" when they hit 150. Any car that can get to that speed will be solidly planted on the ground thanks to the downforce the bodywork generates.
I once heard an engineer give a lecture on the aerodynamics of modern race cars. He said the downforce from the bodyworks is so strong at 200 mph.
The car is practically glued to the race track. That even if you could somehow turn the race track upside down during the race. The car wouldn't fall off the track to the ground below. ... :cool:

Last edited:
I once heard an engineer give a lecture on the aerodynamics of modern race cars. He said the downforce from the bodyworks is so strong at 200 mph.
The car would be practically glued to the race track. That even if you could somehow turn the race track upside down. The car wouldn't fall off the track to the ground below. ... :cool:

Modern F1 cars generate more downforce than they weigh, so yes, they can drive upside down. Modern supercars don't generate near that much, but they generate enough that they won't fly away.

It takes at least 450 horsepower to get to 150 mph in your average streetcar. The basic bodywork will squash that car into the road, which is why they need so much horsepower to overcome the aerodynamic drag being generated.

So many of these clowns lie about things that a gearhead knows are lies immediately.

At 170 mph, who needs them. LOL
Yeah, if you got a heck of a lot of open road or salt flats it could work. At least it's heavy enough to stay on the ground, I have had a couple of these modern cars totally fly in the air above 150/mph

Peddle your lies elsewhere

I dare you to attempt drive a 1987 Corvette convertible with top down & no spoiler to it's top speed of 165 mph! It will lift off the highway at 150 mph and the speedometer will show the tires spinning in mid air at 165 mph until you come back to earth & the tires contact the pavement again at 150 mph.
1987-maroon-convertible-corvette-2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back