Kmart to close its last remaining store in the contiguous U.S.

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Anyone here old enough to have shopped at a 'Kresge's' before they changed to Kmarts?

Kmart is closing its last big-box store in the contiguous U.S., employees with the company told CBS MoneyWatch, capping the retreat of what was once America's dominant discount retailer.

Kmart will shutter its location at Bridgehampton Commons mall in Bridgehampton, New York, on October 20, two workers at the store said. The location is the retailer's only remaining full-size store in the U.S. Kimco Realty, the real estate investment trust that owns Bridgehampton Commons, confirmed that Kmart is leaving the shopping center.

I thought they were all closed decades ago. Amazing some lasted this long at all.

They failed for the same reasons Mervin's and many other viable businesses got shut down. Some Wall Street swindlers using junk bonds took them 'private', sold all their real estate to themselves separate from the retail side and then jacked up rents so high on the retail side they went bankrupt in the first downturn. Wall Street bankrupts everything it touches.

I remember my mom dragging me around from one blue light special to the next....
And then I would get new pajamas....:doubt:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fblog.cloudflare.com%2Fcontent%2Fimages%2F2015%2F07%2Frozzers-1.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=0ab1bcd94f6c0d56b36eb33dc3a5e3af43c15fa0f8ff5dcb94377c85450fd8f8&ipo=images

ATTENTION SHOPPERS! AISLE 8!

Not a fan of chain stores; we used to have 6 of Kmart/Walmart type indies here, all different in brands carried and service styles, now there are none as well as a lot of small and medium sized retailers long gone, and now the chains have all jacked up their prices, no competition and the jobs are in Red China or some other shithole manned by slaves.

I thought they were all closed decades ago. Amazing some lasted this long at all.

They failed for the same reasons Mervin's and many other viable businesses got shut down. Some Wall Street swindlers using junk bonds took them 'private', sold all their real estate to themselves separate from the retail side and then jacked up rents so high on the retail side they went bankrupt in the first downturn. Wall Street bankrupts everything it touches.

Same thing that is cratering Red Lobster.

Forum List

Back