Language

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Out tutoring this morning, and the father of the student introduced me to his neighbor who was also interested in setting up some tutoring for his student. It turns out that the father of the new student didn't really speak much English (I didn't hear him speak one word while I was there), but I was able to work out a schedule with him starting tomorrow. While driving home, it occurred to me how convenient it is to have language skills. It's all about communication.

Out tutoring this morning, and the father of the student introduced me to his neighbor who was also interested in setting up some tutoring for his student. It turns out that the father of the new student didn't really speak much English (I didn't hear him speak one word while I was there), but I was able to work out a schedule with him starting tomorrow. While driving home, it occurred to me how convenient it is to have language skills. It's all about communication.

I forgot who produced the quote but it went something along the lines of "if you speak the language to a man who understands you speak to his head. If you speak to the man in his language you speak to his heart". Mandela I think.

In short, far more powerful to speak to another person in their native tongue. The more we know and learn of other languages the better. Keeps the mind sharp too.

I forgot who produced the quote but it went something along the lines of "if you speak the language to a man who understands you speak to his head. If you speak to the man in his language you speak to his heart". Mandela I think.

In short, far more powerful to speak to another person in their native tongue. The more we know and learn of other languages the better. Keeps the mind sharp too.

If you don't speak a person's language, I have found that valuing their food makes almost as positive an impression.

Forum List

Back