Lincoln: Selected Speeches and Writings

Hector12

Platinum Member
Feb 28, 2023
The Abraham Lincoln who reveals himself in Lincoln: Selected Speeches and Writings is a man who disliked slavery, but who disliked Negroes too.

Those who have read about the Lincoln - Douglas Debates held in 1858 may imagine that Lincoln's contributions were eloquent demands for abolition and equal rights for Negroes. They will be surprised to read the following passage from the fourth debate:

"I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races. [applause] I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making jurors or voters of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor of intermarrying with white people...I am not in favor of Negro citizenship." [applause]

Lincoln's goal was to keep slavery illegal in the free states, and to prevent slavery from moving to the territories. This was probably the white consensus at the time in the North. Northern whites wanted to keep slavery out of their states and the territories because they wanted to keep Negroes out of their states and the territories.

For the same reason they favored slavery where it existed. If slaves in the South were freed Negroes would move North, and to the territories.

During the Civil War Lincon made it clear that his goal was not to free the slaves; it was to preserve the Union. Lincoln wrote and signed the Emancipation Proclamation reluctantly, and when it became obvious that it would benefit the Union war effort. Freeing the slaves would enable young black men to serve in the Union Army. It would keep European countries from aiding the Confederacy. The Emancipation Proclamation preserved slavery in states that remained in the Union.

In Lincoln's "Address on Colonialization to a Committee of Colored Men," August 14, 1862 Lincoln said, "I think your race suffers very greatly from living with ours. Our race suffers from your presence."

Lincoln wanted to settle the Negroes in Central America. Nevertheless, the governments in Central America said that they did not want American Negroes to be sent to them and would fight to keep them out.

That left Africa as a destination for freed Negroes. Few Negroes wanted to move to Africa. They knew how bad conditions were there.

Lincoln's hostility toward Negroes may be due to the fact that like many whites - then and now - he was a victim of black criminals. In a brief autobiography Lincoln wrote:

"One night we were attacked by seven Negroes with intent to kill us and rob us. [We] were hurt somewhat in the melee but succeeded in driving the Negroes from the boat."

Nevertheless, on economic issues Lincoln sounded like Barnie Sanders. In his Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861, he said:

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor and deserves the higher consideration."

If Lincoln was alive today, he would be condemned as a racist. Many would try to prevent him from speaking publicly. Republicans would dismiss him as a RINO - "Republican in Name Only."

s-l300.jpg

Forum List

Back