Living on an "Island"

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Many years ago, I bought a PC (Toshiba Satellite) that I was able to use for home and office. Worked great. In fact, over a period of years I loaded all my "stuff" and some programs onto that computer, and used it a lot. It's about ten years old now. Haven't worked for that company for a long time.

In the past year I began to have problems with the browsers I was using. I had a version of Internet Explorer that Mr. Gates was no longer supporting, and the other programs like Chrome weren't working either, for some reason, although my internet connection is fine, both hard wired and Wi-Fi. Most of the stuff I do, I now do on a Mac.

But here's the thing: I'm totally disconnected with this PC. If I want to do anything at all with an old file I have to load it onto a flash drive and physically take it over to the Mac, which makes no sense to me.

There has to be some way of allowing the two computers to "talk" with one another. Either get the PC back on to the Internet or something. Maybe I could but MicroSoft's latest browser (on a CD? since I can't download anything), or do a hard-wire thing between the computers.

Also, I know how to work with Excel, Word, and a few other PC programs, and the Mac versions of them seem to suck. Or maybe it's just me. I'd really like to continue using the PC, but it is very cumbersome the way things are now.

Any suggestions?

Hard times for the computer semi-illiterate
Chrome is a POS but you can get "in' with an email/user id.
You can use Billies garbage by searching Office 365 and getting it.

Many years ago, I bought a PC (Toshiba Satellite) that I was able to use for home and office. Worked great. In fact, over a period of years I loaded all my "stuff" and some programs onto that computer, and used it a lot. It's about ten years old now. Haven't worked for that company for a long time.

In the past year I began to have problems with the browsers I was using. I had a version of Internet Explorer that Mr. Gates was no longer supporting, and the other programs like Chrome weren't working either, for some reason, although my internet connection is fine, both hard wired and Wi-Fi. Most of the stuff I do, I now do on a Mac.

But here's the thing: I'm totally disconnected with this PC. If I want to do anything at all with an old file I have to load it onto a flash drive and physically take it over to the Mac, which makes no sense to me.

There has to be some way of allowing the two computers to "talk" with one another. Either get the PC back on to the Internet or something. Maybe I could but MicroSoft's latest browser (on a CD? since I can't download anything), or do a hard-wire thing between the computers.

Also, I know how to work with Excel, Word, and a few other PC programs, and the Mac versions of them seem to suck. Or maybe it's just me. I'd really like to continue using the PC, but it is very cumbersome the way things are now.

Any suggestions?
Incompatibility is how they sell more new units.

Any suggestions?
Try these.

How to transfer your data from your old PC to your new Mac

How to Network a Mac and a PC to Share Files Easily - The Plug - HelloTech

How to Connect a PC to a Mac

Forum List

Back