Looking for a DA 22 lr revolver

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
I need a .22 DA revolver and after looking around I figured a Taurus 942 3 inch barrel would be a good choice. Not too pricey and having a good rep.

1621005954240.png

You can see them advertised for around 350.00. My wife like to shoot 22's and doesn't like my clunky Ruger SA that I have. So I thought a small DA revolver with a medium barrel length would be good except for one thing. Nobody that I have checked with has one. There are two gun stores and a pawn shop here and I called one and they said they had a Ruger LCR 22 DA so I went down and looked and it was a 22 mag and I didn't want that because I don't have any ammo for it and the ammo is expensive when you can find it. The guy said you could shoot lr in it in the same cylinder, and while that is true, it's not a good idea. I did it once with a Ruger Single Six inadvertently by loading the mag cylinder with lr ammo. It shot fine but the empties were really hard to punch out afterward. I later measured the mag ammo and the case is about 15 thousandths larger in diameter than the lr case. So it was a no go. Besides it was more than I wanted to pay at $550.00.

They did have 200 rounds of 45 acp which I bought for 120 dollars. I left an went to the other gun store and struck out there too, as he didn't have any. Zip for the pawnshop too. So I went home and gave up on it realizing that missus would have to wait. Then I remembered a feed store here that sold ammo and just for grins I called them and asked if they sold guns. They did. I asked if they had a DA 22lr revolver and they had 2, both Ruger LCRx models, one 22lr and one 22wmr with three inch barrels. They took trades also, so I got the pistol I wanted to get rid of and went down there and got it and had to pay 100 plus my trade in. The wife like it so all's well.

This is it. SA trigger pull is around 5 pounds and it's an 8 shot.

1621007115534.png

I need a .22 DA revolver and after looking around I figured a Taurus 942 3 inch barrel would be a good choice. Not too pricey and having a good rep.

View attachment 489394

You can see them advertised for around 350.00. My wife like to shoot 22's and doesn't like my clunky Ruger SA that I have. So I thought a small DA revolver with a medium barrel length would be good except for one thing. Nobody that I have checked with has one. There are two gun stores and a pawn shop here and I called one and they said they had a Ruger LCR 22 DA so I went down and looked and it was a 22 mag and I didn't want that because I don't have any ammo for it and the ammo is expensive when you can find it. The guy said you could shoot lr in it in the same cylinder, and while that is true, it's not a good idea. I did it once with a Ruger Single Six inadvertently by loading the mag cylinder with lr ammo. It shot fine but the empties were really hard to punch out afterward. I later measured the mag ammo and the case is about 15 thousandths larger in diameter than the lr case. So it was a no go. Besides it was more than I wanted to pay at $550.00.

They did have 200 rounds of 45 acp which I bought for 120 dollars. I left an went to the other gun store and struck out there too, as he didn't have any. Zip for the pawnshop too. So I went home and gave up on it realizing that missus would have to wait. Then I remembered a feed store here that sold ammo and just for grins I called them and asked if they sold guns. They did. I asked if they had a DA 22lr revolver and they had 2, both Ruger LCRx models, one 22lr and one 22wmr with three inch barrels. They took trades also, so I got the pistol I wanted to get rid of and went down there and got it and had to pay 100 plus my trade in. The wife like it so all's well.

View attachment 489405
Fits nicely in a small purse....my daughter has one....she still lives in San Diego....and so she needs it for self defense....

Here is my .22 revolver. It is a Taurus 942 M .22 mag. 8 rounds. Great shooter! Fits in my vest pocket. And its big brother, my 357 mag 605. and their really big brother, my .41s mag Tracker. All are great guns. I am a fan of Taurus. I think the Ruger LCR line is butt ugly. All of my .22LR guns are semi-autos. My little Beretta Bobcat lives in my blue jeans pocket ... if I have pants on, it is there!

If you are 100 yards away and I am shooting at you with any of these Taurus handguns, even the snubbies, you are in deep trouble.

Attachments

• IMG_0888.JPG
    IMG_0888.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 52
  • AAA TAURUS 605 357 MAG 1.JPG
    AAA TAURUS 605 357 MAG 1.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 53
  • AAA TAURUS 425 41 MAG 02.JPG
    AAA TAURUS 425 41 MAG 02.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 52
  • BERETTA BOBCAT 01.JPG
    BERETTA BOBCAT 01.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

View attachment 489394

View attachment 489405

You could get him one of these....

:scared1:

• Banned

View attachment 489394

View attachment 489405

You could get him one of these....

:scared1:
They had one but it's not for us.

Here is my .22 revolver. It is a Taurus 942 M .22 mag. 8 rounds. Great shooter! Fits in my vest pocket. And its big brother, my 357 mag 605. and their really big brother, my .41s mag Tracker. All a great guns. I am a fan of Taurus. I think the Ruger LCR line is butt ugly.
They're all quite lovely but we Canadians own few like them because they're made for killing people and we're really not into that so much.

We would consider those kind of guns to be more attractive to bad guys who own guns.

I'm shocked!
Tissue?
The back woods Florida crackers I grew up around hunted deer with .22. So its a good round for any type of shooting.
Florida deer are not all that large except in north Florida.

Here is my .22 revolver. It is a Taurus 942 M .22 mag. 8 rounds. Great shooter! Fits in my vest pocket. And its big brother, my 357 mag 605. and their really big brother, my .41s mag Tracker. All a great guns. I am a fan of Taurus. I think the Ruger LCR line is butt ugly.
They're all quite lovely but we Canadians own few like them because they're made for killing people and we're really not into that so much.

We would consider those kind of guns to be more attractive to bad guys who own guns.

I'm shocked!
Tissue?
The back woods Florida crackers I grew up around hunted deer with .22. So its a good round for any type of shooting.
Florida deer are not all that large except in north Florida.
Then maybe I can take them out with a boomerang.

View attachment 489394

View attachment 489405
not what you asked for but here's my backup carry all the time NAA 22 Mag
WY7-6W-vAoebbAuyOfoYUNgD6rXpZOyyTR0xgn8Eb6ft_p1RB4-UA2R1yKqlo3BjsNS_9UPpqg9DI30FhJU6Hven-jU1W2aIdKRCNRZ8MBiBro8h8UlsigvKiWOOLgE1ZFOb6Jh28TSHkzGejbR2i3XReWJq7l1_0BSmzWYHkFNKnZYPemvdyPf3aUJ2DfsgUDVpgGfzs3BBl8fJCJ-ntaewolwDjAkYckhuXfuTn9uRmtNFjHunPTCFj_Y-nI_Q8WuHp7yOwkxi7EKP567hOk9mMU6TymgVb3fdmBsWPDZXr5Ttyb9Gq7OQuM8bwDtMCKEPPSVwuyxvuNC9C4bMt8qrspkaM5Wk9iVXC3LlBmRLqaeIPn1ejK8XJxTBmZao1RmpIgxVj0X7AEraRLDOxUYQyhH1pcRGCeVdzOp-5NbMNXqUGhOJlTXMxKg00FUH3ptHci2PW-xRPCN8SpQW6UYi0Sll40o4c5sCIX2-p0qp-W3ob5CP80ypePGNXSPxhMZ6A2JOdaw8mq4jApIuY0KDQoMc8qw2b3PKuS8pUIHiynZ01jJN5fxFbbg8MzH4Rgj2HrFMe3ZkZj84-dTrxW5jyk0v3hYypUm5x8gJAABzmwv2V1BYkXPKbjfZtTCMnJ7neKl_NbmYPx4RzJUUsLW-Oz4kXZ5fPwgQbXSxZhhqkEfQHktNWuxyN3modrfOmcBJdbX3RFgWhfXvu4KLmHMD=w469-h625-no

I'm shocked!
they are made for legal lawful purposes

View attachment 489394

View attachment 489405
WY7-6W-vAoebbAuyOfoYUNgD6rXpZOyyTR0xgn8Eb6ft_p1RB4-UA2R1yKqlo3BjsNS_9UPpqg9DI30FhJU6Hven-jU1W2aIdKRCNRZ8MBiBro8h8UlsigvKiWOOLgE1ZFOb6Jh28TSHkzGejbR2i3XReWJq7l1_0BSmzWYHkFNKnZYPemvdyPf3aUJ2DfsgUDVpgGfzs3BBl8fJCJ-ntaewolwDjAkYckhuXfuTn9uRmtNFjHunPTCFj_Y-nI_Q8WuHp7yOwkxi7EKP567hOk9mMU6TymgVb3fdmBsWPDZXr5Ttyb9Gq7OQuM8bwDtMCKEPPSVwuyxvuNC9C4bMt8qrspkaM5Wk9iVXC3LlBmRLqaeIPn1ejK8XJxTBmZao1RmpIgxVj0X7AEraRLDOxUYQyhH1pcRGCeVdzOp-5NbMNXqUGhOJlTXMxKg00FUH3ptHci2PW-xRPCN8SpQW6UYi0Sll40o4c5sCIX2-p0qp-W3ob5CP80ypePGNXSPxhMZ6A2JOdaw8mq4jApIuY0KDQoMc8qw2b3PKuS8pUIHiynZ01jJN5fxFbbg8MzH4Rgj2HrFMe3ZkZj84-dTrxW5jyk0v3hYypUm5x8gJAABzmwv2V1BYkXPKbjfZtTCMnJ7neKl_NbmYPx4RzJUUsLW-Oz4kXZ5fPwgQbXSxZhhqkEfQHktNWuxyN3modrfOmcBJdbX3RFgWhfXvu4KLmHMD=w469-h625-no
Thanks but I got one!

View attachment 489394

View attachment 489405
Thanks but I got one!
I love mine I carry it everywhere

View attachment 489394

View attachment 489405
Thanks but I got one!
Sorry, I meant we got a DA revolver, not like yours.

View attachment 489394

View attachment 489405
Thanks but I got one!
Sorry, I meant we got a DA revolver, not like yours.
I paid 240.00 out the door

View attachment 489394

View attachment 489405
You’re better off looking for nearly anything else (Ruger, S.W. ) used then a new Taurus piece of junk. I‘d take one as a gift. Expect problems if you use it much. There is a reason why they are cheap. Personally, I’d look at a Charter Arms if money is an issue and you want new. Remember though, you get what you pay for and less with a Taurus. It took me several of them to learn my lesson. They all had problems.

You’re better off looking for nearly anything else (Ruger, S.W. ) used then a new Taurus piece of junk. I‘d take one as a gift. Expect problems if you use it much. There is a reason why they are cheap. Personally, I’d look at a Charter Arms if money is an issue and you want new. Remember though, you get what you pay for and less with a Taurus. It took me several of them to learn my lesson. They all had problems.
Got the Ruger LCRx.

I have to call bullshit on this. I have three Taurus revolvers, they are all ultra-reliable and accurate. I have had my .41 magnum Tracker for 20 years and have shot the piss out of it, it is still like new and going strong. My 357 and 22 mag snubbies are both going strong after many range sessions. They are inexpensive, not cheap. They are less expensive because they are made in Brazil. No other reason. And made on actual S&W equipment.

Just like every other brand including S&W you are going to find a lemon now and then. The big question to ask is "Do they stand behind their fireams and fix or replace anything defective?" and with zero hassle? I can attest that they do. The first 357 snubbie I ordered arrived defective right out of the box. They replaced it no questions asked and the replacement has run perfectly through hundreds of rounds. The press loves bad news and ignores any good news out there. That's why most of the press on Taurus is showing problems. Not the manufacturer's fault that the press is stupid. I have seen some very bad press on Charter Arms too. Do I believe it? No. They are in the same boat as Taurus ... a brand prima donnas with more money than brains look down their noses at.

I love my stainless 942 M 22 magnum

The grips on this are mango wood that I found somewhere on-line, and I got the Taurus medallions from a cheap set of plastic grips and used a forstner bit and inlaid them into these grips.

IMG_0888.JPG

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back