Many tanks...

there4eyeM

unlicensed metaphysician
Jul 5, 2012
...for the pollution.

Underground tanks at the infamous Hanford Nuclear Reservation present dangers to the environment. Built in the forties during the program to develop the bomb, officials admit leaks are occurring.

Much time and great treasure have gone into trying to clean this place up. It is the show-case example for the nuclear power problem. The consequences, ramifications and potential for catastrophe would have warned off any reasonable species, so of course humans launched themselves into it heedlessly.

We need many new approaches if survival is to continue in a comfortable, civilized fashion. Economics has to be revolutionized, for example. Power of all kinds also must be re-evaluated.

Some polluting mistakes of the past are in fact mistakes.

Many of them, however, weren't mistakes. Tthey knew that their facilities would eventually pollute, they ALSO knew their companies would be bankrupt long before the problems manifested.

In Orrington Maine, HOLTER CHEMICAL's massive mercury pollution of the Pensobscot Bay and DownEast region is a perfect example of that.

We've had coal miners die in collapses, lets ban that too.

There was just a natural gas explosion in KC, time to ban natural gas.

Unbelievable that people seriously compare the certain calamities that await us with the fragile nuclear technology with any other type of human practice. In both weapons and energy production, it is totally foolhardy.

A mine collapse? A gas explosion? Sure, people die, but the next day everything can be totally recovered. Nuclear is the gift that keeps on giving.

Last edited:
Nuclear storage in very challenging to say the least. Yeah this is scary serious.
I watched a report from Japan last night re: their issues in dealing with the spent goods.

Pushing things beyond absurdity to try and discredit a point makes the poster look stupid.

Kinda like Killing all people will end abortions.
Or Ban food since a few choke to death while eating.

Last edited:
This doesn't sound like the sort of thing that can 'wait' very long.

http://www.ajc.com/ap/ap/washington/gov-6-underground-hanford-nuclear-tanks-leaking/nWXcZ/

<Inslee and Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber have championed building additional tanks to ensure safe storage of the waste until the plant is completed. Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon said earlier this week that he shares their concerns about the integrity of the tanks, but that he wants more scientific information to determine it's the correct way to spend scarce money.

Wyden noted the nation's most contaminated nuclear site &#8212; and the challenges associated with ridding it of its toxic legacy &#8212; will be a subject of upcoming hearings and a higher priority in Washington, D.C.>

Last edited:
This doesn't sound like the sort of thing that can 'wait' very long.

Gov: 6 underground Hanford nuclear tanks leaking | www.ajc.com

<Inslee and Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber have championed building additional tanks to ensure safe storage of the waste until the plant is completed. Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon said earlier this week that he shares their concerns about the integrity of the tanks, but that he wants more scientific information to determine it's the correct way to spend scarce money.

Wyden noted the nation's most contaminated nuclear site — and the challenges associated with ridding it of its toxic legacy — will be a subject of upcoming hearings and a higher priority in Washington, D.C.>

Isn't there some kind of insurance for the nuclear industry? Oh, yeah, they couldn't get it from private enterprise, so they got it from...

A complete bunch of NONSENSE by a bunch of tree-hugging anti-nuke alarmists.

So what exactly is being stored in these Hanford tanks? Low level nuclear waste? High level nuclear waste? Waste chemicals? Do ANY of you know the answer? The Hanford reservation is a HUGE facility, staffed by top-notch scientists and support personnel. Hanford also stores radioactive waste from nuclear power plants. Not everything there is "weapons-grade" radioactive waste.

I can GUARANTEE you that the Hanford folks have a complete remediation plan in place to deal with these old storage tanks.

Why don't you leftists quit this "deflection" game, and talk about the REAL disaster that is looming in the near future...........the economic collapse of this country.

And people die of sunstroke, plus long-term or multiple overexposure to sunlight leaves people more susceptible to melanomas/carcinomas. I know - Let's put out the sun! Lessee, Where did I leave those warranty papers? & the proof of purchase? ...

Six tanks now said to be leaking at contaminated Hanford nuclear site - U.S. News

Of course this problem is not the only pressing need though looking at the amount of days the Congress spends 'on vacation' seems so. Debts and deficits are important, but not the only pending crisis our nation and our world faces.

It makes me wonder about other rather serious problems that are not widely publicized but could have major impacts on health, safety and security.

Not likely that such things are of interest to CNN and other news sources. I think they devoted 2 hrs to Oscar Pitorius last night. Or one hour to him and an hour to a documentary about rape in the military. I moved on.

South Africa will just have to adjudicate Oscar and I hope the military can address the issue of rape and everything else.

A complete bunch of NONSENSE by a bunch of tree-hugging anti-nuke alarmists.

So what exactly is being stored in these Hanford tanks? Low level nuclear waste? High level nuclear waste? Waste chemicals? Do ANY of you know the answer? The Hanford reservation is a HUGE facility, staffed by top-notch scientists and support personnel. Hanford also stores radioactive waste from nuclear power plants. Not everything there is "weapons-grade" radioactive waste.

I can GUARANTEE you that the Hanford folks have a complete remediation plan in place to deal with these old storage tanks.

Why don't you leftists quit this "deflection" game, and talk about the REAL disaster that is looming in the near future...........the economic collapse of this country.

Fortunately, your referring to me as anything does not make me one. Trying to group everything that does not correspond to your agenda as 'leftist' may make you feel good, but hardly suffices as argumentation.
Those of us for sane and safe energy refuse to accept the absurd and evidently wrong assumption that the 'experts' in charge know what to do,or even that in the absolute sense they are in charge at all. Nukes and the nuclear technology are in charge and humans have become an element under their control.
We are constantly assured that every possibility has been thought of and prepared for. The only problem is what has not been thought of nor prepared for, with devastating consequences. Pro-nukers can just stop with these kinds of protestations. They only look (and are) ridiculous.

Unbelievable that people seriously compare the certain calamities that await us with the fragile nuclear technology with any other type of human practice. In both weapons and energy production, it is totally foolhardy.

A mine collapse? A gas explosion? Sure, people die, but the next day everything can be totally recovered. Nuclear is the gift that keeps on giving.

People do not understand the nature of risk and the BLACK SWAN.

We are by human nuture optimists.

And that silly optimism of ours will ultimately kill our species.

Forum List

Back