Marxist Dissanayake wins Sri Lanka’s presidential election as voters reject old guard

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
China continues to expand their puppet governments in places we wouldn't expect. I pray for our species. The description of this guys win is curious.

America will choose in November.

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (AP) — Marxist lawmaker Anura Kumara Dissanayake won Sri Lanka’s presidential election, according to data released by the Election Commission Sunday, as voters rejected the old political guard that has been widely accused of pushing the South Asian nation toward economic ruin.

Dissanayake, whose pro-working class and anti-political elite campaigning made him popular among youth, secured victory over opposition leader Sajith Premadasa and incumbent liberal President Ranil Wickremesinghe, who took over the country two years ago after its economy hit bottom.

China continues to expand their puppet governments in places we wouldn't expect. I pray for our species. The description of this guys win is curious.

America will choose in November.

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (AP) — Marxist lawmaker Anura Kumara Dissanayake won Sri Lanka’s presidential election, according to data released by the Election Commission Sunday, as voters rejected the old political guard that has been widely accused of pushing the South Asian nation toward economic ruin.

Dissanayake, whose pro-working class and anti-political elite campaigning made him popular among youth, secured victory over opposition leader Sajith Premadasa and incumbent liberal President Ranil Wickremesinghe, who took over the country two years ago after its economy hit bottom.

How about a less biased view...

Sri Lankan leader Anura Kumara Dissanayake took office as president on Monday, promising change in a nation long led by powerful political families and now emerging from its worst economic crisis in more than seven decades.

Millions of Sri Lankans had voted for the opposition parliamentarian, putting faith in his graft-fighting pledge and vow to bolster a fragile economic recovery.

"I pledge ... to demonstrate dedication to protecting and upholding democracy," Dissanayake, 55, said during his inauguration at the president's office, saying he was taking office at a challenging time.

Forum List

Back