Masih Alinejad: “Women in Iran are breaking the law every day just to be ourselves”

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
No doubt the women from Iran who fled and are now living in the West hear from the women back in Iran about what is going on and, therefore, count their lucky stars that they left.

Masih Alinejad: “Women in Iran are breaking the law every day just to be ourselves”

“And I’m a master criminal because the government thinks I have too much hair, too much voice, and I am too much of a woman.”

ALLISON MALONEY
Speaking to a packed house today, journalist Masih Alinejad took the stage at the Women in the World New York Summit to speak with host Tina Brown about living in political exile from her native Iran and her campaign against the forced wearing of hijab, or headscarves. The energetic Alinejad, 39, issued a passionate call to American political leaders and public figures: “Do not ignore Iranian women when they put themselves in danger.

The Iranian Revolution in 1979 instituted conservative social codes, including an order that all women must wear hijab. Women in Iran remain unable to pursue an education without their father’s permission, sing solo, or dance. In the street, they may be stopped by “morality police” whose job is to enforce proper Islamic dress. “Women in Iran are breaking the law every day just to be ourselves,” Alinejad explained. “And I’m a master criminal because the government thinks I have too much hair, too much voice, and I am too much of a woman.”

Her full head of curly hair — and contagious enthusiasm — were well appreciated by the audience.

masih-alinejad-_-toby-melville_reuters1.jpg

Continue reading at:

Masih Alinejad: “Women in Iran are breaking the law every day just to be ourselves”?

Forum List

Back