Mets pitcher Jake deGrom

DrLove

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2016
Central Oregon Coast
Are you baseball fans familiar with this guy? OmG - He's got a 0.52 ERA and the Mets can't freaking hit the baseball. They'd better step up or this franchise player may be out of there. He doesn't blame anyone though ... Incredible maturity. His delivery and control remind me of a righty Sandy Koufax - Pedro Martinez or Greg Maddox? I've not seen him yet except for highlights. Dude is insane!

New York Mets right-hander Jacob deGrom tied Nolan Ryan's major league record for most strikeouts through a pitcher's first five starts of a season, finishing Wednesday night's start with nine strikeouts over six innings to run his five-game total to 59. But deGrom did so in a losing cause, as New York fell 1-0 to the Boston Red Sox at Citi Field.​
It was deGrom's 33rd career start, and third in 2021, in which he allowed one run or fewer and failed to pick up the win, most in the majors since he made his debut in 2014. Julio Teheran has the second-most such starts over that time frame with 25.​
"I try not to think too much about it," deGrom said. "Like I said, I'm more disappointed that I wasn't able to make pitches there in the second inning. I was trying to battle through but just left some balls over the middle of the plate that got hit. So, that comes down to me controlling what I can control and I didn't do a good job of that in that second inning."​
DeGrom has made 81 career starts of six-plus innings in which he has allowed no more than one run, but only 48 of those resulted in wins (59%). The MLB average win rate over the past five seasons when pitching at least six innings with one or no runs is 69%.​

When he's healthy, he might be the best pitcher in the majors. The danger is he is a power pitcher and is prone to elbow injuries. Hopefully the Mets protect him and don't rack up his pitch counts.

I blame the lack of hitting on the Sabermetrics nerds that have made baseball's offensive choices into homerun or strikeout.

It's almost like the nerdy kids who were put in deep left field all the time in little league (which was me) made a giant conspiracy to ruin baseball with math and calculators.

The Mets can’t get him a run

A 0.52 ERA and he is 1-2 on the season.
The one game he won, he left the game down a run

it isn't just the Mets. Between middle relivers hurling 95+ for 1 inning, batting instruction going with blast or nothing, and managers being nothing more than executors of programmed strategies no one is producing the runs they should be.

Lindor hitting sub .250 is certainly not helping things.

I don't get worried about a baseball season until 30-40 games into it.

In baseball every team wins 50 games, every team loses 50 games, the other 62 decide who gets to the playoffs.

it isn't just the Mets. Between middle relivers hurling 95+ for 1 inning, batting instruction going with blast or nothing, and managers being nothing more than executors of programmed strategies no one is producing the runs they should be.

I hate it

Runner on third with one out and the guy is swinging for the fences

I hate it

every time the switch is put up and the guy doesn't dink it to the empty side I cry a little inside.

I hate it

every time the switch is put up and the guy doesn't dink it to the empty side I cry a little inside.

Most don’t know how
That is why they shift

I hate it

Most don’t know how
That is why they shift

Considering the space they are being given, they can check swing their way to 1st.

I hate it

Most don’t know how
That is why they shift

Considering the space they are being given, they can check swing their way to 1st.

I always thought just choke up on the bat like Felix Millan and slap it the other way.

1619715219507.jpeg

Lindor hitting sub .250 is certainly not helping things.

Lindor has done well in the field, but the guy gets paid to hit and field. Dude is stinking up the ball park. Him and Conforto

Forum List

Back