Military Takes Over Government in Myanmar, Aung San Suu Kyi Detained

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
That didn't last very long. The military takes over again in Burma. A brief foray into democracy cut short.

Raise your hand if you can guess how this is going to be spun in the American media, and what the response to that will be.

Last edited:
"Myanmar's military has seized power after detaining civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi and other senior members of her governing party.
All authority has been given to the top army commander and a one-year state of emergency has been declared, a statement on military TV said."

I cant see there being much material difference. She was a massive disappointment and oppressed millions of her people.

Here again we see how much leftists care about democracy... ^^^

It wasnt a democracy. It was a stepping stone to democracy. One that she shat on by her genocidal treatment of a minority of the people. The Generals are shits but that doesnt make her a heroine.

As I was saying... ^^^^^
We don't care about democracy in other countries unless we can use those countries as proxy wars or to protect the oil supply.

Stop kidding yourself. Myanmar has nothing to offer so we won't do anything but say it's an outrage.

Myanmar was never a full democracy, it was more of a quasi-democracy given how much control the military had over the levers of power.

Having said that we should ALL be condemning the action of this military coup d’etat. Myanmar may be a fledging democracy, but that does not mean we should not condemn the coup in the strongest terms possible.

The military rationale for the coup was election fraud. The military refused to accept the election results then went to the Supreme Court then after that failed surrounded the houses of parliament. Does much of this sound familiar? Isn’t that a scenario we feared in our country?

Now, I realize that Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi was far from perfect but that is no reason not to condemn this coup.

Next time it could be us.

Last edited:
Myanmar was never a full democracy, it was more of a quasi-democracy given how much control the military had over the levers of power.

Having said that we should ALL be condemning the action of this military coup d’etat. Myanmar may be a fledging democracy, but that does not mean we should not condemn the coup in the strongest terms possible.

The military rationale for the coup was election fraud. The military refused to accept the results the went to the Supreme Court then after that failed surrounded the houses of parliament. Does much of this sound familiar? Isn’t that a scenario we feared in our country?

Now, I realize that Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi was far from perfect but that is no reason not to condemn this coup.
Oh we'll condemn it left and right we just won't actually do anything about it

It wasnt a democracy. It was a stepping stone to democracy. One that she shat on by her genocidal treatment of a minority of the people. The Generals are shits but that doesnt make her a heroine.

Tommy please tell me that you feel that China's actions are a: "genocidal treatment of a minority of the people".

The military rationale for the coup was election fraud. The military refused to accept the election results then went to the Supreme Court then after that failed surrounded the houses of parliament. Does much of this sound familiar? Isn’t that a scenario we feared in our country?

Next time it could be us.

Whaddaya mean "next time"?

Tommy please tell me that you feel that China's actions are a: "genocidal treatment of a minority of the people".

Thats pretty clear to the whole world. Tell me you arent confused on that ?

Forum List

Back