Mixing grass varieties may reduce insect infestations in lawns

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
mixed-grass1-1024x767.jpg

In any case, one needs to visit the local nursery and talk to someone who deals with it on a daily basis. I’m sure there are different mixes for different parts of the country.

A simple change in the choice of grass varieties for lawns of St. Augustinegrass could be a key tool for fending off fall armyworm infestations, according to new research. While no single St. Augustinegrass cultivar rises above the rest in resisting infestation, mixing varieties may confer some benefits, as fall armyworms clearly preferred single-cultivar plantings in a series of lab tests.

More @ Mixing grass varieties may reduce insect infestations in lawns: Fall armyworms prefer single-variety plantings of St. Augustine grass

I have been mixing varieties for years

A little rye, bluegrass, clover, onion grass, dandelions, Moss ....

I am a little too far north to really use St. Augustine I also have mixed condition---some full sun, some full shade lots of in between areas. I use fescue blends + K31+weeds/common bermuda.

I am a little too far north to really use St. Augustine I also have mixed condition---some full sun, some full shade lots of in between areas. I use fescue blends + K31+weeds/common bermuda.
So is it still true that you can only purchase St Augistine is sod-form and because of their patent, it's illegal to harvest the seeds ? I know you can buy any other grass in seeds- Centipede and Zoysia are about the most expensive I believe.

So is it still true that you can only purchase St Augistine is sod-form and because of their patent, it's illegal to harvest the seeds ? I know you can buy any other grass in seeds- Centipede and Zoysia are about the most expensive I believe.

Don't know about the seed harvesting, but the reason you need to buy sod or plugs is because it is difficult to grow direct from seed. They sometimes throw it in seed blends, but they don't want to sell you the seed, you have a crappy yard, and then you want your money back

Monocropping has always been a bad idea. Men knew this even in biblical times.

While necessary for today's food production, it requires the used of artificial fertilizer and pesticides to be viable.

mixed-grass1-1024x767.jpg

In any case, one needs to visit the local nursery and talk to someone who deals with it on a daily basis. I’m sure there are different mixes for different parts of the country.

A simple change in the choice of grass varieties for lawns of St. Augustinegrass could be a key tool for fending off fall armyworm infestations, according to new research. While no single St. Augustinegrass cultivar rises above the rest in resisting infestation, mixing varieties may confer some benefits, as fall armyworms clearly preferred single-cultivar plantings in a series of lab tests.

More @ Mixing grass varieties may reduce insect infestations in lawns: Fall armyworms prefer single-variety plantings of St. Augustine grass
What's grass?

desert_1500961861.jpg

I just got me some annual rye grass. I am supposed to get some red creeping fescue too. Then later I will buy the cheapest, oldest and easiest to grow grass on the market. I am buying some Kentucky 31 Fescue. I am going to mix it all up for a techna combination.

I have been mixing varieties for years

A little rye, bluegrass, clover, onion grass, dandelions, Moss ....

Those native grasses are easy to grow. I have some weird looking weed that looks similar to a fern. They are covering my yard with plenty of greenery.

I would prefer a large patch of zoysia but I don't know how trustworthy it is.

Forum List

Back