My Thoughts On Music Education

GMCGeneral

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2020
For me to know and you not to find out.
Something near and dear to my heart as I am a musician myself (bass) and have kept an ear on the state of the music industry in general, which right now is just plain pathetic. Although there are some gems and genuine young talent out there, they are few and far between considering the mass of vulgar, base, and just plain boring noise that passes for "music" nowadays.
Having said that, with the advent of technology, it seems that learning music, either through voice or instrument, doesn't seem appealing to modern youth. No surprise as to why. Our modern ethos of instant media has trumped hours of practice and hard work. Even though playing music is fun, at least it's supposed to be anyways, kids just don't want to put in the effort.

Something near and dear to my heart as I am a musician myself (bass) and have kept an ear on the state of the music industry in general, which right now is just plain pathetic. Although there are some gems and genuine young talent out there, they are few and far between considering the mass of vulgar, base, and just plain boring noise that passes for "music" nowadays.
Having said that, with the advent of technology, it seems that learning music, either through voice or instrument, doesn't seem appealing to modern youth. No surprise as to why. Our modern ethos of instant media has trumped hours of practice and hard work. Even though playing music is fun, at least it's supposed to be anyways, kids just don't want to put in the effort.
You might want to look at the extraordinary young musicians at schools around the country. Schools like Eastman in Rochester, Steinhardt at NYU, Berkeley in MA, Hartford CT, etc. There are also performing arts high schools around the country that prepare those talented kids for those challenging programs. Perhaps you aren’t looking in the right place?

Last edited:
You might want to look at the extraordinary young musicians at schools around the country. Schools like Eastman in Rochester, Steinhardt at NYU, Berkeley in MA, Hartford CT, etc. There are also performing arts high schools around the country that prepare those talented kids for those challenging programs. Perhaps you aren’t looking in the right place?
That's college level. I'm referring to elementary and HS level music programs besides performing arts schools of which there is one in my hometown of Buffalo. Most of the schools' programs have either been eliminated or severely decimated.

That's college level. I'm referring to elementary and HS level music programs besides performing arts schools of which there is one in my hometown of Buffalo. Most of the schools' programs have either been eliminated or severely decimated.
I still stand by what I said. The kids have to start somewhere. My son started in a middle school program. I wish there were more programs like the one he was in. They have to start there or they won’t be good enough for the gifted HS programs. And if they aren’t in the gifted HS programs they aren’t going to be good enough for the collegiate programs

but if you’re asking if I think a lot more money should be put into those music programs from elementary school on, I’m 100% with you.

and it’s near and dear to my heart, too. I raised one of those kids

My daughter will be a Junior next year majoring in music education. She and all the others in college with her had to start somewhere.

My wife and I was highly involved with the band boosters for 5 years (she started in the band in the 8th grade). My first experience with the band. My wife played in high school. We had a blast. A bunch of great kids.

The college has a Bluegrass program. I always like when she gets the time to go and play Bass with them. She plays the clarinet, eb clarinet, bass clarinet, Saxophone, trumpet, marimba, xylophone, as noted bass guitar, piano and messes around with other instruments. Oddly she never liked the guitar.

It's the only thing she really has been interested in. We've encouraged her to go for it. She wants to teach.

Our modern "culture" and corporate entertainment media have made a mockery of music.

Almost none of the performers write their own arrangements anymore, and the "music" is composed and collated through pre-programmed electronic gizmos.

Actual effort and talent have been obviated.

Our modern "culture" and corporate entertainment media have made a mockery of music.

Almost none of the performers write their own arrangements anymore, and the "music" is composed and collated through pre-programmed electronic gizmos.

That's sad indeed. As we get older, the musicians we are associated with are dying off. People like:
Glenn Frey
Maurice White
Ellis Marsalis
and so forth.

That's sad indeed. As we get older, the musicians we are associated with are dying off. People like:
Glenn Frey
Maurice White
Ellis Marsalis
and so forth.
Dave Brubeck
Frank Zappa
Prince

Glenn Frey
Maurice White
Ellis Marsalis
and so forth.
Dave Brubeck
Frank Zappa
Prince
One thing about Jazz great Ellis Marsalis, he left a wonderful legacy in his sons. Four of whom are acclaimed musicians in their own right, the other a poet.
Branford, Wynton, Delfeayo, and Jason Marsalis have all performed in their respective venues, but the real treat is to be able to perform with their father as well.

There is a summer music program for underprivileged kids in my city but as far as I know, that's it. The other schools other than High Schools dropped their music programs.

There is a summer music program for underprivileged kids in my city but as far as I know, that's it. The other schools other than High Schools dropped their music programs.
My own alma mater's music program is just a shell of it's former self when I went to HS there.

I just found a music school franchise that is reaching out to encourage learning to play and perform music for fun. All the teachers I met are wonderful. Look up Bach to Rock and see if there is one near you.

GMCGeneral I also believe it is essential to critical thinking and management skills to teach music and performance, if not media production as well.

What about promoting music video contests, to raise money for music lessons or scholarships? I would love to support you in a creative campaign to promote music education. If you started your own music scholarship or grant fund, would you support students learning voice or instruments, or teachers getting degrees or training to teach music?

What interests or angles would you focus on? I'd be happy to help you organize ideas to set up your own grant program or matching scholarship fund!

I teach upper level math (Geometry and Algebra) in Middle School and my best classes are the kids that also do the band thing.

Love those kids.

Now, this might sound odd, but students often reference our Band Instructor as exceptional.
I agree 100%, the man is young, knows his stuff, is relates to the students.
We work well together, because we share many students.

I Love Music and Math.

Call me odd, but I was Happy to see the Idol tonight be Chayse. Exceptional.

I still stand by what I said. The kids have to start somewhere. My son started in a middle school program. I wish there were more programs like the one he was in. They have to start there or they won’t be good enough for the gifted HS programs. And if they aren’t in the gifted HS programs they aren’t going to be good enough for the collegiate programs

but if you’re asking if I think a lot more money should be put into those music programs from elementary school on, I’m 100% with you.

and it’s near and dear to my heart, too. I raised one of those kids
Kids used to learn music on the back porch, the street corner, through a knot hole at the juke joint, etc. Those days were the training grounds for blues, jazz, rockabilly, country, etc. The best American music didn't come out of a classroom. It came from every day life.

Kids used to learn music on the back porch, the street corner, through a knot hole at the juke joint, etc. Those days were the training grounds for blues, jazz, rockabilly, country, etc. The best American music didn't come out of a classroom. It came from every day life.
I'm glad to see country music making a comeback of sorts.

My own alma mater's music program is just a shell of it's former self when I went to HS there.
Yes my HS used to have the top Choir and Band programs. That all dropped to dismal levels, and so did the academic performance. I thought of going back and trying to help by setting up clubs or contests to promote higher participation and goals.

Let me know if you would consider media outreach for alumni to promote music and arts education. If so, I have friends with public radio through Pacifica we could team up with to organize a national initiative. I also know a couple of other nonprofits I could ask to support this as critical to education and social leadership development.

Forum List

Back