N.S.A. Gets More Latitude to Share Intercepted Communications

Doc1

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2017
The Conspiratorium.
"
WASHINGTON — In its final days, the Obama administration has expanded the power of the National Security Agency to share globally intercepted personal communications with the government’s
16 other intelligence agencies before applying privacy protections.

The new rules significantly relax longstanding limits on what the N.S.A. may do with the information gathered by its most powerful surveillance operations, which are largely unregulated by American wiretapping laws. These include collecting satellite transmissions, phone calls and emails that cross network switches abroad, and messages between people abroad that cross domestic network switches.

The change means that far more officials will be searching through raw data. Essentially, the government is reducing the risk that the N.S.A. will fail to recognize that a piece of information would be valuable to another agency, but increasing the risk that officials will see private information about innocent people.

Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch signed the new rules, permitting the N.S.A. to disseminate “raw signals intelligence information,” on Jan. 3, after the director of national intelligence, James R. Clapper Jr., signed them on Dec. 15, according to
a 23-page, largely declassified copy of the procedures."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/...tude-to-share-intercepted-communications.html

And there you go.

Interesting chain of command. Does the head of the "Justice Dept" get to dictate policy to the National Security Administration? It seems to me that Lynch wasn't qualified to dictate policy to the janitorial staff much less the NSA. You almost gotta laugh that the order to declassify information was partly classified itself.

"
WASHINGTON — In its final days, the Obama administration has expanded the power of the National Security Agency to share globally intercepted personal communications with the government’s

The new rules significantly relax longstanding limits on what the N.S.A. may do with the information gathered by its most powerful surveillance operations, which are largely unregulated by American wiretapping laws. These include collecting satellite transmissions, phone calls and emails that cross network switches abroad, and messages between people abroad that cross domestic network switches.

The change means that far more officials will be searching through raw data. Essentially, the government is reducing the risk that the N.S.A. will fail to recognize that a piece of information would be valuable to another agency, but increasing the risk that officials will see private information about innocent people.

Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch signed the new rules, permitting the N.S.A. to disseminate “raw signals intelligence information,” on Jan. 3, after the director of national intelligence, James R. Clapper Jr., signed them on Dec. 15, according to

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/...tude-to-share-intercepted-communications.html

And there you go.

Funny how this policy wasn't needed for the first 7 years 11 months of the maobama regime. Now you know why the leaks will be harder to track.

"

And there you go.

Funny how this policy wasn't needed for the first 7 years 11 months of the maobama regime. Now you know why the leaks will be harder to track.

Unfortunately Obama went batshit crazy with the expansion of the corporate state mass surveillance ramp up initiated under Bush.

Clutch your gun, you're "free" if you can still have one.

How very totalitarian of you, you love you some "Big Brother".

I own, permitted to carry, but I understand its use in this madness as an empty symbol.

Guns are not the topic.
The gentleman and I were posting to each other and he was the OP.

And? That doesn't invalidate my comment.

"

And there you go.

Absolutely, now there are no barriers to any of the entities.

Clutch your gun, you're "free" if you can still have one.

I own, permitted to carry, but I understand its use in this madness as an empty symbol.

Guns are not the topic.

I don't fucking care what you want.

"

And there you go.

Unfortunately Obama went batshit crazy with the expansion of the corporate state mass surveillance ramp up initiated under Bush.

Yep and the dear leader never did anything without political considerations, anyone who thinks this policy and the leaks are coincidental need their heads examined. maobama should have abolished the Patriot Act like he campaigned on, but he found it to be a useful political tool.

"

And there you go.

Yep and the dear leader never did anything without political considerations, anyone who thinks this policy and the leaks are coincidental need their heads examined. maobama should have abolished the Patriot Act like he campaigned on, but he found it to be a useful political tool.

For all, not just the "side" you don't like.

"

And there you go.

Anytime you expand access you increase the likelihood of leaks.

"

And there you go.

Yo yo's. It wasn't that long ago that Repubs were bitching about Clinton placing barriers on the intelligence community all the while Bush created a whole new bureaucracy designed to better coordinate intelligence. I wish people could just pick a position and stick with it.

Guns are not the topic.

I know, you regressives think you're exempt form the posting rules.

Keep it relevant, choose wisely. Each post must contain content relevant to the thread subject, in addition to any flame. No trolling. No hit and run flames. No hijacking or derailing threads.

Zone 2 Posting Rules

"

And there you go.

For all, not just the "side" you don't like.

Yep

Guns are not the topic.

Keep it relevant, choose wisely. Each post must contain content relevant to the thread subject, in addition to any flame. No trolling. No hit and run flames. No hijacking or derailing threads.

Zone 2 Posting Rules

Your problem with me is my ideas son, pretty obvious. So once again, go fuck yourself, tattle, whatever you're moved to.

Guns are not the topic.

Zone 2 Posting Rules

Your problem with me is my ideas son, pretty obvious. So once again, go fuck yourself, tattle, whatever you're moved to.

Poor pathetic snowflake! I guess you missed where I agreed with you in post #18.

Forum List

Back