Need a new mower for 5 acres...

SmokeALib

Platinum Member
Nov 8, 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
Hey guys, I'm looking at a John Deere 1023e.
Do you guys think it's worth it to spend 10k on this machine? Or spend a quarter of that amount and get a 25 hp Cub Cadet or Husqvarna...
I appreciate your input please. Thanks.

I've owned two John Deer's and both were bullet proof.
Had this model to maintain my roads and mow my rental river property that was wide open,had a box grader,post hole digger,brush hog and the front end loader.
Loved that damn thing!!!!
3035d_tractor_studio_r4f10279_1024x576_large_4a5c38711537f9d796869f05e1ecf36e2a51897d.jpg

Had this one that I used for mowing around eight acres at my place a few miles down the river but without the four wheel steering.
x739-signature-series-hero-feature-r4f032493-1366x768.jpg

I dont have a single bad thing to say about either.

John Deere Deere decks are of a proper mil.

You could probably get it done with whatever my neighbor has. Like $1300 or so.

What about New Holland? Oh man, one of my good friends loved his New Holland.

He welded a hook to the bucket, nothing made him happier than when I rigged up a couple of big old logs and he curled them up with that bucket and put them in a pile. He absolutely beamed carrying them logs. :113:

God bless him! He taught me how to tie a running bowline with chain.

Watching him go..you could just hear "She thinks my tractor's sexy, it really turns her on". :auiqs.jpg:

We did weeks of that stuff. Good times. :)'

Nothing gave that man more pleasure than me rigging up logs to his tractor and him hauling them. It was fantastic! Thank You Lord for the good times we had.

Last edited:
I'm sure any of the machines suggested would probably work great......but with 5 acres, it would probably be cheaper in the long run to put in sturdy fence and add some cows. Cross fence it so you can rotate grazing area and would only have to buy hay for the winter months.....unless you mow opposite pastures from where the cows are and store the mowings for winter feed.

It may sound like a lot, but it really shouldn't be.....plus when they're about 2 years old, send them to the butcher. Keep one for your own freezer & sell the other(s) to pay back your costs.....and you'd get something back on your investment :thup:

He welded a hook to the bucket, nothing made him happier than when I rigged up a couple of big old logs and he curled them up with that bucket and put them in a pile. He absolutely beamed carrying them logs. :113:

Watching him go..you could just hear "She thinks my tractor's sexy, it really turns her on". :auiqs.jpg:

We did weeks of that stuff. Good times. :)

My Uncle had a New Holland and he raved about it.
From what I read stay away from the Kubota because they have a bad rep when it comes to warranty work.
I say just get a Deer and you wont have to worry about warranty work....there wont be any.

From what I read stay away from the Kubota because they have a bad rep when it comes to warranty work.
I say just get a Deer and you wont have to worry about warranty work....there wont be any.

Idk what to say in 2019. I'll be purchasing a skid steer of some sort, with the claw. That's not for mowing grass. What about cows? :eek:

We did weeks of that stuff. Good times. :)'

Nothing gave that man more pleasure than me rigging up logs to his tractor and him hauling them. It was fantastic! Thank You Lord for the good times we had.

He beamed carrying them logs?

He like the wood?

You need to shut your stupid ass up right now.

Why are you so gay?

Is he the one spouting off about you all over the board??????

Idk what to say in 2019. I'll be purchasing a skid steer of some sort, with the claw. That's not for mowing grass. What about cows? :eek:

Skid steers are fun as hell to drive!!!!
Had a company that was building my concrete river access and they left it on the property when they went home.
They never should have left the keys in it......
I got more shit done with that thing over the week they were there!!!
Just made sure to top off the diesel when I was done and hoped they didnt look at the hour meter.

Had a company that was building my concrete river access and they left it on the property when they went home.
Just made sure to top off the diesel when I was done and hoped they didnt look at the hour meter.

Probably the avg John Deere is what OP needs.

I've done a lot of stuff with New Hollands and Kubotas, though. Tons of earth moved.

50 short-needle pines topped and buried. :eek:

In 2 weekends. Cut to the ground, too.

hey, don't knock the cow idea......if you got the room, why not? As I said, you'd end up with a freezer full of organic grass fed beef and possibly a few bucks in your pocket to boot......and if you keep a small herd going, you'll have that for years to come.

I've done a lot of stuff with New Hollands and Kubotas, though. Tons of earth moved.

In 2 weekends.
Looking at x7 series also. But at roughly the same price, I would step up to 1020 series (0%/60 at the moment).

hey, don't knock the cow idea......if you got the room, why not? As I said, you'd end up with a freezer full of organic grass fed beef and possibly a few bucks in your pocket to boot......and if you keep a small herd going, you'll have that for years to come.

I'd rather change the oil in a tractor than pay for the vet bills.

Raise em right and there shouldn't be any

In 2 weekends.
Looking at x7 series also. But at roughly the same price, I would step up to 1020 series (0%/60 at the moment).

The x700 would be more than enough for three acres.

Raise em right and there shouldn't be any

Trust me,there will always be calls to the vet.
Vaccinations will always be necessary.

Forum List

Back