Need some help

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
Me and a buddy split a whole rib eye loin. We were going to both make prime rib and have a bunch of friends over. Its going to be a competition. Loser buys winner dinner and drinks.
Anyway, he decided he wants to spice it up so he is making beef and cheddars. Probably because he knows my prime rib will blow his out of the water.. lol
So its got me thinking, I need to get creative. Rather, let yall do it for me..
Yall got any ideas on how to use this rib eye loin?

Me and a buddy split a whole rib eye loin. We were going to both make prime rib and have a bunch of friends over. Its going to be a competition. Loser buys winner dinner and drinks.
Anyway, he decided he wants to spice it up so he is making beef and cheddars. Probably because he knows my prime rib will blow his out of the water.. lol
I got a couple ideas. Pack it in ice and send it to me. I know I can do something great with it. I'll even send pictures of how it turns out.

Slow smoked. I dry rub with salt, pepper, paprika, unsweetened cocoa, garlic powder, and chili flakes. I put it in the smoker (pellet) at 225 until it hits 115. Then I heat the grill up to about 450 and sear all sides. Rest for 20 minutes. Comes out about 130 - perfect medium rare, edge to edge. Has awesome smoky flavor. I usually use Mesquite for beef, but hickory is good too. (Trager makes some mesquite-hickory blend pellets)

Uncensored has it right. Get some smoke in it and slow roast it, then give it a good sear.

You can also prep it differently than most do to get rid of the bones etc.

And now that I'm thinking of it, this extra prep is your kicker.

Butcher and prep it according to this

This is going to remove a lot of the fat, silver skin and gristle. Your cut is now better. People won't have piles of fat on their plates and will be able to cut this with their forks. He'll be working from the same cut of meat, so this step alone elevates you.

Dry brine it and prep the seasonings as per the instructions. You win right there if you just slice away and serve it.

To bury him deeper, take the ribs and the strip from the tip you got from the butchering process and do something extra with them. BBQ the ribs and skewer the strips for appetizers or something. He won't be able to compete with Prime Rib 3 ways and your base cut will have less fat and be more tender in the first place.

He'll be so humbled he'll volunteer to do the dishes. lol.

And don't forget the sides.

And my invitation.

Slow smoked. I dry rub with salt, pepper, paprika, unsweetened cocoa, garlic powder, and chili flakes. I put it in the smoker (pellet) at 225 until it hits 115. Then I heat the grill up to about 450 and sear all sides. Rest for 20 minutes. Comes out about 130 - perfect medium rare, edge to edge. Has awesome smoky flavor. I usually use Mesquite for beef, but hickory is good too. (Trager makes some mesquite-hickory blend pellets)
Thats pretty close to the rub i use for prime rib. I use cayenne instead of flakes and i add a little coffee to it.

Uncensored has it right. Get some smoke in it and slow roast it, then give it a good sear.

This is going to remove a lot of the fat, silver skin and gristle. Your cut is now better. People won't have piles of fat on their plates and will be able to cut this with their forks. He'll be working from the same cut of meat, so this step alone elevates you.

Dry brine it and prep the seasonings as per the instructions. You win right there if you just slice away and serve it.

To bury him deeper, take the ribs and the strip from the tip you got from the butchering process and do something extra with them. BBQ the ribs and skewer the strips for appetizers or something. He won't be able to compete with Prime Rib 3 ways and your base cut will have less fat and be more tender in the first place.

And my invitation.
I trim mine up pretty good. I add the fat to my drip pan that i use for the au jus. Sooo good

And my invitation.

Prime rib is a different cut.

See that now. Was thinking prime rib, primarily because the OP said they were making prime rib. lol.

All good. The loin can be done in a similar fashion....

Despite a similar name, the prime rib and the rib eye are two very different cuts of meat. The prime rib is a juicy slice of a larger rib roast, and the ribeye is a well-marbled steak with a reputation for a tender buttery-smooth texture.Sep 30, 2019

Despite a similar name, the prime rib and the rib eye are two very different cuts of meat. The prime rib is a juicy slice of a larger rib roast, and the ribeye is a well-marbled steak with a reputation for a tender buttery-smooth texture.Sep 30, 2019
Ok, so the "prime rib" is the "standing rib roast"
I didnt know that! Thanks man

Ok, so the "prime rib" is the "standing rib roast"
I didnt know that! Thanks man

You can get either with bone in.
This describes the difference the best.

The prime rib is a large roasting joint, often containing large sections of the rib bone. The ribeye, by comparison, is cut from the most tender part of the rib, between the 6th and 12th rib, and is a heavily marbled slice of the longissimus dorsi muscle.Sep 30, 2019

I did a filet roast a week or two ago and still called it "prime rib"
Fuckin bumpkin :lol:

Forum List

Back