New York school assigns racist word-problems to fourth-graders

Bullshit, it has everything to do with the left-wing.

No. This has nothing to do with any 'wing.' This is not a political issue. This topic does not belong in 'current events,' nor does it belong in the racial issues or political thread. This topic belongs in the education forum. It is about the poor judgment of a couple of teachers. It is an unfortunate event. I wouldn't fire the teachers. They made a mistake and need to be censured for it and guided to not repeat such a thing. It is about poor judgment, period. We read about teachers doing amazingingly stupid/foolish things. It happens in many different ways. We act like teachers are not supposed to make mistakes, but the truth is everyone makes mistakes, sometimes really horrendous ones. However most teachers are intelligent people doing a good job. The times when one makes a really foolish mistake like this, we hear about it and make a huge to-do about it. Firing her/him is going too far. It should be a 'lesson' learned instead. This teacher was probably fired because the media made such an issue of it.

But this a political issue, a partisan one? Absolutely not. It is really tiresome that people try to make every issue on these boards about right or left, liberal or conservative, white race versus black race, etc. Life is not that simplistic.
You're so full of shit. 99% of teachers are left-wing fucking liberals and you're too disingenuous to admit that this is typical of the mentality of the public school system. I love how you libs try to backtrack when one of your own goes off the scale.

Your post isn't even worth replying to. Maybe when someone comes along with something intelligent to say....

No. This has nothing to do with any 'wing.' This is not a political issue. This topic does not belong in 'current events,' nor does it belong in the racial issues or political thread. This topic belongs in the education forum. It is about the poor judgment of a couple of teachers. It is an unfortunate event. I wouldn't fire the teachers. They made a mistake and need to be censured for it and guided to not repeat such a thing. It is about poor judgment, period. We read about teachers doing amazingingly stupid/foolish things. It happens in many different ways. We act like teachers are not supposed to make mistakes, but the truth is everyone makes mistakes, sometimes really horrendous ones. However most teachers are intelligent people doing a good job. The times when one makes a really foolish mistake like this, we hear about it and make a huge to-do about it. Firing her/him is going too far. It should be a 'lesson' learned instead. This teacher was probably fired because the media made such an issue of it.

But this a political issue, a partisan one? Absolutely not. It is really tiresome that people try to make every issue on these boards about right or left, liberal or conservative, white race versus black race, etc. Life is not that simplistic.
You're so full of shit. 99% of teachers are left-wing fucking liberals and you're too disingenuous to admit that this is typical of the mentality of the public school system. I love how you libs try to backtrack when one of your own goes off the scale.

Your post isn't even worth replying to. Maybe when someone comes along with something intelligent to say....
Yeah, let me know when you think of something intelligent (and believable) to say.

had ANT FArm on from the DIsney channel a couple of days ago and I believe it was one of the kids having a dream as though they were back in time before the civil rights movement and showed Blacks being kept out of Night Clubs for anything but to entertain. Then one of the entertainers said that is not right, etc.
I understand it is Black history month and all that but to me this played out as to widen the gap. To very young kids that, hopefully, are unaware at their young age the ghosts of the pasts, if a parent wasn't there watching, I can't imagine what those kids must have thought was going on. I turned it off before it was over as I thought it very inappropriate for kids watching alone. Many kids do sit in front of TV watching Disney without their parents there to be able to explain what it was actually all about. I was very disappointed in Disney for this.

Do you remember the "RAT PACK?" Sammy Davis junior wasn't allowed to stay at the same hotels and Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. He was allowed to entertain there, but he wasn't allowed to stay. I never understood that. They mostly entertained for free and both Frank and Dean claimed Sammy as their "friend". Well if it was me and my friend wasn't welcome at that hotel, I wouldn't be welcome either. No way would I stay in a hotel my friend wasn't allowed to stay in.

It's easy now to say "it was a different time" but I don't think friendship has changed all that much and a friend is a friend.

had ANT FArm on from the DIsney channel a couple of days ago and I believe it was one of the kids having a dream as though they were back in time before the civil rights movement and showed Blacks being kept out of Night Clubs for anything but to entertain. Then one of the entertainers said that is not right, etc.
I understand it is Black history month and all that but to me this played out as to widen the gap. To very young kids that, hopefully, are unaware at their young age the ghosts of the pasts, if a parent wasn't there watching, I can't imagine what those kids must have thought was going on. I turned it off before it was over as I thought it very inappropriate for kids watching alone. Many kids do sit in front of TV watching Disney without their parents there to be able to explain what it was actually all about. I was very disappointed in Disney for this.

Do you remember the "RAT PACK?" Sammy Davis junior wasn't allowed to stay at the same hotels and Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. He was allowed to entertain there, but he wasn't allowed to stay. I never understood that. They mostly entertained for free and both Frank and Dean claimed Sammy as their "friend". Well if it was me and my friend wasn't welcome at that hotel, I wouldn't be welcome either. No way would I stay in a hotel my friend wasn't allowed to stay in.

It's easy now to say "it was a different time" but I don't think friendship has changed all that much and a friend is a friend.

I think to ascribe it to "it was a different time" makes sense when you realize there has been a paradigm shift since the civil rights movement. People's perception of the world was different. From our perspective today, it is impossible to understand how a 'friend' could stay in a hotel that did not allow his/her friend there because of color. But you don't actually know how you would see things if you were living in that time. Perception is everything. How we percieve the world and race relations in the US now is very different than how we perceived them then. I'm not giving Frank or Dean or anyone else a pass; I'm just saying that we cannot know how this situation was perceived because we were not either alive or not adults at that time.

Separation of the races was a major thing in the States before the civil rights movement, not just in the South. There were states that did not allow interracial marriages. In my PNW city, black people lived in separate neighborhoods. There was one mixed race child who lived down the street from me. She was the result of a rape; or at least that is what was believed. She was pretty much shunned by the other kids, and probably there was worse she endured, I don't know. That was in the 50s. My high school of 2,000 kids had about 4 black kids. That was in the late 60s. That school, that neighborhood isn't like that anymore. My city doesn't have all white neighborhoods or schools these days.

Times have changed considerably and with it a paradigm shift in how we view reality.

Last edited:
Excuses? I think YOU are the one that needs the excuses. Conservatives don't control public schools.

You're kidding right?

Conservatives control schools all over the nation.

They are trying to teach kids that jeebus road dinosaurs into the arc. :cuckoo:

New York school assigns racist word-problems to fourth-graders - Salon.com

“Slavery Word Problems Homework”

“In a slave ship, there can be 3,799 slaves. One day, the slaves took over the ship. 1,897 are dead. How many slaves are alive?” and, “One slave got whipped five times a day. How many times did he get whipped in a month (31 days)? Another slave got whipped nine times a day. How many times did he get whipped in a month? How many times did the two slaves get whipped together in one month?”
This is just mind boggling.

Okay, rw nutters, bring on your excuses.

It is New York, and a union school, the left wing is showing its true colors.

The thing is..it was a mostly white school..and the kids were the ones who made up the questions.

Fancy that.

New York school assigns racist word-problems to fourth-graders - Salon.com

This is just mind boggling.

Okay, rw nutters, bring on your excuses.

The thing is..it was a mostly white school..and the kids were the ones who made up the questions.

Fancy that.

Yes, but it is the teacher who allowed the questions to be put into a homework assignment. The teacher made a mistake. She/he should have had a discussion with the class explaining why the questions were not appropriate. It's really not complicated. Teaching children to have a broader world view is what it is about. To be global citizens. The teacher is at fault. The teacher needs to acquire a broader world view, it seems.

Excuses? I think YOU are the one that needs the excuses. Conservatives don't control public schools.

You're kidding right?

Conservatives control schools all over the nation.

They are trying to teach kids that jeebus road dinosaurs into the arc. :cuckoo:
You been livin' under a fuckin' rock or something? LOL!

Nope.

Living in the real world.

You folks are trying to dumb down science with religion and edit history.

This was a couple of teachers doing something stupid and they got caught.

Kentucky's GOP lawmakers question standards for teaching evolution in schools - Politics Wires - MiamiHerald.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/education/13texas.html?_r=0

Fancy that.

Yes, but it is the teacher who allowed the questions to be put into a homework assignment. The teacher made a mistake. She/he should have had a discussion with the class explaining why the questions were not appropriate. It's really not complicated. Teaching children to have a broader world view is what it is about. To be global citizens. The teacher is at fault. The teacher needs to acquire a broader world view, it seems.

This is probably a case of damned if you do..damned if you don't. But I agree the Teachers did something stupid. But trying to get kids more involved in learning is a good thing.

Fancy that.

This is probably a case of damned if you do..damned if you don't. But I agree the Teachers did something stupid. But trying to get kids more involved in learning is a good thing.
You're a good soldier, swallow, no matter HOW stupid it makes you look.

r

Fancy that.

Yes, I agree that getting kids more involved in their learning is a good thing. This was a cross-curricular activity. But the teacher should have supervised it from the beginning and been aware of what was an appropriate choice of questions and what wasn't. The teacher should have been able to explain to the students what kind of questions are appropriate and what are not and why. It's really a fail in the training and judgment of the teacher, not this school or school district or having anything to do with the NY school system, or anything like that.

Last edited:
r

Yes, I agree that getting kids more involved in their learning is a good thing. This was a cross-curricular activity. But the teacher should have supervised it from the beginning and been aware of what was an appropriate choice of questions and what wasn't. The teacher should have been able to explain to the students what kind of questions are appropriate and what are not and why. It's really a fail in the training and judgment of the teacher, not this school or school district or having anything to do with the NY school system, or anything like that.
You're a dedicated soldier too, but do you think we can't see through your phoniness?

Done sucking American_Faggot's dick, I see.

Well..no..thanks for the offer..

But you can't swallow my cum.

r

Still, I am thinking this is more of a "snapshot" that got bubbled up because it seems like something very bad. Teaching in New York Schools is no picnic. Not only do you have to deal with some pretty messed up kids, but you are constantly under the gun, underpaid and over worked. It's not a "fairy tale" that most of these folks have to dive into their own pockets for supplies. That's reality. You also need a masters to teach in this school system. You don't necessarily have to have it from the beginning..but you need to get it. So that means many teachers are themselves, students. And again, that comes out of pocket.

Add in all of that..and you get the picture.

Done sucking American_Faggot's dick, I see.

Well..no..thanks for the offer..

But you can't swallow my cum.
You sure talk about homosexual acts a lot. Why is that?

I think to ascribe it to "it was a different time" makes sense when you realize there has been a paradigm shift since the civil rights movement. People's perception of the world was different. From our perspective today, it is impossible to understand how a 'friend' could stay in a hotel that did not allow his/her friend there because of color. But you don't actually know how you would see things if you were living in that time. Perception is everything. How we percieve the world and race relations in the US now is very different than how we perceived them then. I'm not giving Frank or Dean or anyone else a pass; I'm just saying that we cannot know how this situation was perceived because we were not either alive or not adults at that time.

Separation of the races was a major thing in the States before the civil rights movement, not just in the South. There were states that did not allow interracial marriages. In my PNW city, black people lived in separate neighborhoods. There was one mixed race child who lived down the street from me. She was the result of a rape; or at least that is what was believed. She was pretty much shunned by the other kids, and probably there was worse she endured, I don't know. That was in the 50s. My high school of 2,000 kids had about 4 black kids. That was in the late 60s. That school, that neighborhood isn't like that anymore. My city doesn't have all white neighborhoods or schools these days.

Times have changed considerably and with it a paradigm shift in how we view reality.

There were 3 blacks in my highschool in the 70's. I still say that if my friend wasn't welcome at a hotel, I wouldn't stay there either. And if Frank and Dean had felt that way, the civil rights act would have happened a lot sooner. They were stars and they had power. They could have changed things but chose not to rock the boat.

Forum List

Back