Nigeria bans Twitter for deleting a post from the president

AMart

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2020
On Friday, Nigeria banned Twitter — yes, the entirety of Twitter — from the country.

The move comes after Twitter deleted a tweet from Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday. The company also suspended Buhari from using the platform for 12 hours.

According to CNN, Twitter said the tweet violated its abusive behavior policies. Many Nigerians had reported the president's tweet as well.

Ironically, the Nigerian government announced its "indefinite" suspension of Twitter on...Twitter.

On Friday, Nigeria banned Twitter — yes, the entirety of Twitter — from the country.

The move comes after Twitter deleted a tweet from Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday. The company also suspended Buhari from using the platform for 12 hours.

According to CNN, Twitter said the tweet violated its abusive behavior policies. Many Nigerians had reported the president's tweet as well.

Ironically, the Nigerian government announced its "indefinite" suspension of Twitter on...Twitter.
That news made my day!

Thanks.

Hope more nations ban Twitter.

Sadly, Twitter can ban the Honorable Donald J. Trump without any consequences.

But other nations will not put up with such impertinence.

Bravo for Nigeria!

We can always count on the trumpbots to take the side of authoritarians every single time.

So Twitter who loves to ban people got banned.
1622941692506.png

We can always count on the trumpbots to take the side of authoritarians every single time.
We are deeply concerned by the blocking of Twitter in Nigeria. Access to the free and #OpenInternet is an essential human right in modern society. We will work to restore access for all those in Nigeria who rely on Twitter to communicate and connect with the world. #KeepitOn

They don't seem to think the President of said country should have access to the free and #OpenINternet that is an essential human right in modern society.

We are deeply concerned by the blocking of Twitter in Nigeria. Access to the free and #OpenInternet is an essential human right in modern society. We will work to restore access for all those in Nigeria who rely on Twitter to communicate and connect with the world. #KeepitOn

They don't seem to think the President of said country should have access to the free and #OpenINternet that is an essential human right in modern society.
Should Twitter be obliged to allow it's service to be used by tyrants to oppress their citizens? That would lead to a worse kind of criticism than removing the marching orders of despots.

Should Twitter be obliged to allow it's service to be used by tyrants to oppress their citizens?
Wouldn't know... What did the president say that was so horrible?
That would lead to a worse kind of criticism than removing the marching orders of despots.
I think in order to know if someone is issuing marching orders of despots... We actually need to see it. If what he said was so horrible... You advertise it... not remove it. That's how you change shit.

Should Twitter be obliged to allow it's service to be used by tyrants to oppress their citizens?
Wouldn't know... What did the president say that was so horrible?
That would lead to a worse kind of criticism than removing the marching orders of despots.
I think in order to know if someone is issuing marching orders of despots... We actually need to see it. If what he said was so horrible... You advertise it... not remove it. That's how you change shit.
It would have been informative if the article has said what was removed but I am pretty sure it was nothing good. Nigeria is an almost unbelievably corrupt country and the powerful are just not interested in. anything that might change that.

It would have been informative if the article has said what was removed but I am pretty sure it was nothing good.
But... Don't you find it odd at all that they didn't say???
Nigeria is an almost unbelievably corrupt country and the powerful are just not interested in. anything that might change that.
I will always prefer evidence of that over some third party telling me what to believe.

Edit: I researched this myself. This is what the post supposedly said:

"Many of those misbehaving today are too young to be aware of the destruction and loss of lives that occurred during the Nigerian Civil War. Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, will treat them in the language they understand."

Edit2: Just saying... If I was a Nigerian citizen... I would ABSOLUTELY WANT TO KNOW HE JUST SAID THAT.

Last edited:
It would have been informative if the article has said what was removed but I am pretty sure it was nothing good.
Nigeria is an almost unbelievably corrupt country and the powerful are just not interested in. anything that might change that.
I will always prefer evidence of that over some third party telling me what to believe.
Twitter is in an awkward situation. They have to make judgment calls in every country as to what purpose their service serves. They do not always get it right but they are acutely aware that they have a responsibility to the truth that can easily cost lives if they get it wrong.

Twitter is in an awkward situation. They have to make judgment calls in every country as to what purpose their service serves. They do not always get it right but they are acutely aware that they have a responsibility to the truth that can easily cost lives if they get it wrong.
That's not a awkward situation at all... They should NEVER delete or otherwise remove in anyway a post that their president posts. CERTAINLY if that president is fucking threatening them.

Oh!!! how I love good news!!!!:2up:

That's not a awkward situation at all... They should NEVER delete or otherwise remove in anyway a post that their president posts. CERTAINLY if that president is fucking threatening them.
If twitter allowed it's service to be used by evil men for evil purposes how would that be better? The internet is supposed to empower the people not give tyrants the means to oppress.

If twitter allowed it's service to be used for by evil men for evil purposes how would that be better? The internet is supposed to empower the people not give tyrants the means to oppress.
WTF? It's everywhere... Meaning people who can actually help can and will read it... Straight from his own damn mouth. You want to just remain ignorant of said evil people?

Worse... You want people to die because they didn't have the forewarning that violence is more likely?

Since when does information oppress? I mean if it's lies... Sure... But.... Hello?

Bullshit... They regularly ignore dangerous statements from dangerous people who are aligned with them politically. This type of behavior from people like Dorsey and Zuckerberg will bring upon them the type of regulation they fear the most. I don't agree with that kind of regulation but then again these two assholes have created a regulatory state in their own little worlds. It will be the very same type of judgment call being made by a government official that they are now making as owners of private businesses. This is actually quite inevitable.

Jo

The president of said country wasn’t banned from the internet, Twitter was.

Forum List

Back