No War on Christmas? School Alters Lyrics of 'Silent Night'

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
Sometimes, you wonder how people can act so ridiculously.

When they were planning their annual holiday concert, officials at Ralph J. Osgood Intermediate School on Long Island, New York, altered the lyrics of the popular Christmas song “Silent Night,” removing words such as “holy infant” and “Christ the savior.”

No War on Christmas? School Alters Lyrics of 'Silent Night' to Remove Any Reference to Christ | Independent Journal Review

This has gotten so ridiculous, I would be completely cool if government run schools just did away with ANY holiday celebration of any kind. That would be better than doing this kind of thing.

I agree with the person in the article who said they should have just chosen a different song. I mean, there's always Jingle Bell Rock.

A war on Christmas, say it ain't so, 'thought' henny penny. "Oh, me, oh my, a war on Christmas, we better go tell the king" 'thought' henny penny.

Just then ducky lucky walked by and henny told ducky about the war on Christmas. Ducky looked henny square in the eye and said to her, "who gives a shit, tell a goose, no one eats duck on Christmas".

And off ducky went to the pond where he and his goose friends could be heard laughing, as they listened to henny and her chicken friends echo each other with new iterations of hate and fear.

A war on Christmas, say it ain't so, 'thought' henny penny. "Oh, me, oh my, a war on Christmas, we better go tell the king" 'thought' henny penny.

Just then ducky lucky walked by and henny told ducky about the war on Christmas. Ducky looked henny square in the eye and said to her, "who gives a shit, tell a goose, no one eats duck on Christmas".

And off ducky went to the pond where he and his goose friends could be heard laughing, as they listened to henny and her chicken friends echo each other with new iterations of hate and fear.

What??!!!

A weak attempt at sarcasm??

This has gotten so ridiculous, I would be completely cool if government run schools just did away with ANY holiday celebration of any kind. That would be better than doing this kind of thing.

This right here. It deprives the whiny pussies who find offense in everything any opportunity to be offended. I'm sorry it's come to that, but it's the lesser of two evils.

Why change the lyrics? what was the reason?

Liability most likely. Having schoolchildren even mention Jesus (or Odin or Buddha or any other religious figure) just opens up the school to lawsuits. It's just easier to expunge any and all references to religious figures.

At my sons Christmas concert at school last night they sang the same song, but no alterations were done to the lyrics. The school also distributed little Bibles.

In elementary school my school would do a song for each holiday. Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanzaa, and I don't remember if there were any others. Still know a lot of the words to them. I don't see why they can't do that.

At my sons Christmas concert at school last night they sang the same song, but no alterations were done to the lyrics. The school also distributed little Bibles.

Unless your kid goes to a private school, expect your school taxes to go up to cover the lawsuit.

Unless your kid goes to a private school, expect your school taxes to go up to cover the lawsuit.

School taxes? You mean real estate taxes and the lotto supply Missouri with cash. Real estate taxes can only increase with a popular vote.

Why change the lyrics? what was the reason?

Liability most likely. Having schoolchildren even mention Jesus (or Odin or Buddha or any other religious figure) just opens up the school to lawsuits. It's just easier to expunge any and all references to religious figures.

It would have been better just to sing non religious songs. But then that would have taken a little common sense.

AND even thought this is an old song, there are still some copyright issues that apply:

Google Groups

When I was teaching we got the quick and dirty on the fact that even schools are not free to violate the copyright laws, and if we, as individuals did violate the copyright laws, the school would not support us.

Christmas still is, and will likely always be, a retail event. No retail business that stands to make a profit is going to slay this goose that lays the golden eggs every December. But, IMO, if the government doesn't want ANYTHING religious in their programs then they should choose non religious music to use. There is plenty of it out there. I, personally, think they should be sued for copyright infringement.

Last edited:
For me it would be more convenient for Christmas to be moved to August.
Same for my sister she was born on Christmas day.

Last edited:
There's always Australia or New Zealand. Chrismas is in the middle of summer.

Christmas in Australia:

a55b66f65e319f3dea3376b1c19b8a80.jpg

What??!!!

A weak attempt at sarcasm??

Every one is a critic. Sarcasm is a legitimate rhetorical tool and is a bit more social and civil then calling her a contard or repugnant, isn't it? I tire of such threads - though I have in the past posted new threads just to yank the chain of members of the echo chamber. But some issues are so hackneyed they deserves sarcasm and ridicule - this thread is one.

As for it being a "weak attempt" not every effort will please everyone, and there are always negative neds and nellies. Sorry you didn't like it, but I expended very little effort; so, no loss, no gain (and I expected no gain given the target of my weak attempt).

Forum List

Back