Not a Marine

B. Kidd

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2010
Western Lands
Just passin' thru this site for a few months. Like to walk on slippery rocks (politics, that is) like the rest of you. Been RV'ing for the last 14 months. Back in Vegas to unload the 'sticks n' bricks' so I can hit the road again. Fortunate or unfortunate, whatever the case may be, to find the old 'puter still works.

Anyways, Hello to most.......

Jus' a few facts: (Age 56, retired therapist, Rutger's grad that escaped the ivy league school propeller-head education)

:welcome:

Why NOT a Marine????

Grew up on military bases. Dad (happy fathers' day Dad, where-ever one ends up in the afterlife) was an Air Force semi-lifer, 22 years.
Vietnam was the deciding factor in his retirement. After serving in WWII and the Korean War, the Air Force wanted to send him into Southeast Asia as an advisor for one year, without the family of course. The Vietnam war hadn't ramped up yet but American advisors' at that time were already being killed in their barracks. His main consideration was not being afraid of dy'in (obviously, cause he went thru two wars already), but my mom and having four kids was his main consideration.
He was also politically dead set against military involvement in Vietnam at that early juncture. So, when I turned of age for service, Vietnam was still going on, he waved me off from enlisting in the early '70's, and selective service never got to my # to draft me.

And that is bad? Vietnam war has been over for us since 72, 38 years ago.

Never said it was bad. That's just what happened in my early life as to why I never ended up in the military, not a Marine.

Not a soldier, sailor or airman either? Or are you admitting the Marines are the best so since you never joined you want to indicate the best? )

And that is bad? Vietnam war has been over for us since 72, 38 years ago.

Never said it was bad. That's just what happened in my early life as to why I never ended up in the military, not a Marine.

Not a soldier, sailor or airman either? Or are you admitting the Marines are the best so since you never joined you want to indicate the best? )

Yeah, no doubt Marines are the best. One of my best friends a few decades ago, an ironworker, did two tours in Vietnam, starting in 1968. In the late 70's, he had a testicle removed due to testicular cancer from agent orange. Had a scar from the surgery from the top of his abdomen down to the groin area. Never complained, never felt sorry for himself, and had a heart of gold, meaning he'd give you the shirt off his back. Call you in a second when he caught you bullshittin', but never held it against people.

Yeah...no doubt Marines are the best.

BTW, Saigon captured in April 1975.

Last edited:

Yeah, no doubt Marines are the best. One of my best friends a few decades ago, an ironworker, did two tours in Vietnam, starting in 1968. In the late 70's, he had a testicle removed due to testicular cancer from agent orange. Had a scar from the surgery from the top of his abdomen down to the groin area. Never complained, never felt sorry for himself, and had a heart of gold, meaning he'd give you the shirt off his back. Call you in a second when he caught you bullshittin', but never held it against people.

Yeah...no doubt Marines are the best.

BTW, Saigon captured in April 1975.

We ceased all combat roles by the end of 71, ceased most adviser roles by end of 72. In 1974 we started cutting the money we gave South Vietnam to defend itself, a result of Nixon quitting and Ford being a weak President. Saigon and all of South Vietnam fell because the Democrats refused to honor the peace deal Nixon made and the North found out we were really a paper tiger.

By the way we won the war in 1968, the TET Offensive wiped out the Insurgency, which was the war we were fighting. South Vietnam fell to an external Invasion of 25 North Vietnamese Divisions. Most experts agree that what was left of the Insurgency which was mostly North Vietnamese soldiers infiltrating into the South and donning pajamas would have been settled by 86 given how those things play out.

I wouldn't argue the Marines are the best. The Army has too much bureacracy, there's an official chaplain on every Navy ship, and the Air Force has a racehorse jocky problem with dieting, picky eating, eating disorders, and bantamweight pilots.

Just passin' thru this site for a few months. Like to walk on slippery rocks (politics, that is) like the rest of you. Been RV'ing for the last 14 months. Back in Vegas to unload the 'sticks n' bricks' so I can hit the road again. Fortunate or unfortunate, whatever the case may be, to find the old 'puter still works.

Jus' a few facts: (Age 56, retired therapist, Rutger's grad that escaped the ivy league school propeller-head education)

Safe Travels!! Enjoy!

Safe Travels!! Enjoy!
Have you noticed the date on this thread ?
He was messing with me earlier and I dragged this up.

Forum List

Back