Nuclear Energy

Pythagoras

Dec 24, 2020
Samos, Greece
I am curious to know people's views on nuclear energy.
How do people feel about worldwide efforts to achieve nuclear fusion? How do people feel about our current state of fission? Do you believe that nuclear has no place in certain areas? ( I.E. naval vessels/aircrafts/ trains/ shuttles and space stations/ etc.) Are there any reactors or materials you take issue with? What causes any reservations if you have any? How do people feel about waste disposal?
I will be doing another one of these posts on other forms of energy.
I am curious to see what people think. This is specifically on nuclear energies and is not limited to problems but extends to any offered solutions, theories, or inquiries.

How do people feel about worldwide efforts to achieve nuclear fusion? How do people feel about our current state of fission? Do you believe that nuclear has no place in certain areas? ( I.E. naval vessels/aircrafts/ trains/ shuttles and space stations/ etc.) Are there any reactors or materials you take issue with? What causes any reservations if you have any? How do people feel about waste disposal?
I am curious to see what people think. This is specifically on nuclear energies and is not limited to problems but extends to any offered solutions, theories, or inquiries.

Nukes are one of the cleanest forms of energy out there. The leftwing effort to vilify the nuclear energy sector is wrongheaded. It is safe, and it is efficient. The new technologies that have been developed are lightyears from the dark days of the 1960's era technologies. They are safe, incredibly clean, and when they are done they are safe for ultra long term storage until the radioactivity fades away.

If the fucking government can stay the fuck out of everyone's lives, (but prog elites just cant help themselves) people are moving very fast into the future. I have a plasma lighter, than requires electricity to burn stuff. It is cool as shit, and the reason why i got it, is because while a lot of people have no clue how to make fire, the old Flint and Steel method, you dont have to work hard with this thing. 3,000 lights before you have to recharge it. If there is no power at the plug, i have a small hand held solar charger. Never without fire....

Stealth Angel Arc Lighter - Stealth Angel Survival

Stealth Angel 10,000mAH Waterproof / Shockproof Solar Dual-USB Charger - Stealth Angel Survival

Who knows what is next, i heard that they have a new engine that also runs on a plasma drive....

Nukes are one of the cleanest forms of energy out there. The leftwing effort to vilify the nuclear energy sector is wrongheaded. It is safe, and it is efficient. The new technologies that have been developed are lightyears from the dark days of the 1960's era technologies. They are safe, incredibly clean, and when they are done they are safe for ultra long term storage until the radioactivity fades away.
I agree completely. How do you feel about the latest developments in nuclear fusion? Do you see the United States utilizing nuclear energy more in the future? How do you feel about mobile reactors on ships? Do you think nuclear vessels should be more common in commercial or public use? Do you favor any specific reactors, companies, or materials?

Molten Salt Reactors. Thorium fuel cycle. That is the ticket. Safer, operates at atmospheric pressure. Seven hundred degrees difference in liquid verses gas state, unlike water, which is around a hundred degrees. Fast reactors can use nuclear waste for fuel, it is a no-brainer.

fission or fusion?

The forum I was on before this one was a science forum, populated by a lot of science Phd. and folks from very elites industry and research places.

There was some heavy discussion about a guy and company from Italy that was working on it, it was all pretty suppressed. . . and I learned some interesting things about those Americans that supposedly had done cold fusion back in. . oh, jeese, what was it, the 90's, early 2000's?

Folks sort of memory hole that stuff after it leaves the mainstream press, and after the corporate press tell them it is all bullshit.

. . . I have a feeling there is more to cold fusion than the scientific and corporate elites are letting on.

Cheap, plentiful, clean, abundant energy would totally blow the ruling global oligarchs grip on total world domination.

It would enable the desalination of ocean water. It would enable the growing of food in every desert on the planet, and enable the construction of major cities, anywhere on the planet.

It would revolutionize transportation, housing, education, clothing, every aspect of every persons life on the planet, and lead to true freedom. If you have ever looked at a graph of a nation's economic output, it is directly linked to it's consumption and usage of energy.

Such a discovery would just about solve any and all major global problems, a complete cleaning and rehabilitation of the environment . . . IOW, it would make all major ruling elite families and systems of government obsolete. So why on Earth would they ever let such a technology out of the bottle? Would it not be better to buy up the patents, even if it meant killing inventors and scientists, black mailing, kid-napping, extorting, or doing what ever it takes to hush up such a thing, and keep humanity permanently in a 20th century dark age?

I agree completely. How do you feel about the latest developments in nuclear fusion? Do you see the United States utilizing nuclear energy more in the future? How do you feel about mobile reactors on ships? Do you think nuclear vessels should be more common in commercial or public use? Do you favor any specific reactors, companies, or materials?

How do I feel about nuclear propulsion on ships? Pretty good, made several deployments onboard nuclear aircraft carriers, and never had a problem. How do I feel about commercial ships using nuclear power? If they are as meticulous as Adm. Rickover was in designing and running their nuclear programs, again, I have zero problems. The US Navy has probably the best track record of nuclear power that there ever was, but that is because Rickover personally ran the program with an iron fist and accepted ZERO excuses or mistakes.

Molten Salt Reactors. Thorium fuel cycle. That is the ticket. Safer, operates at atmospheric pressure. Seven hundred degrees difference in liquid verses gas state, unlike water, which is around a hundred degrees. Fast reactors can use nuclear waste for fuel, it is a no-brainer.
I was talking to friend who said throium salt reactors would be
fission or fusion?

The forum I was on before this one was a science forum, populated by a lot of science Phd. and folks from very elites industry and research places.

There was some heavy discussion about a guy and company from Italy that was working on it, it was all pretty suppressed. . . and I learned some interesting things about those Americans that supposedly had done cold fusion back in. . oh, jeese, what was it, the 90's, early 2000's?

Folks sort of memory hole that stuff after it leaves the mainstream press, and after the corporate press tell them it is all bullshit.

. . . I have a feeling there is more to cold fusion than the scientific and corporate elites are letting on.

Cheap, plentiful, clean, abundant energy would totally blow the ruling global oligarchs grip on total world domination.

It would enable the desalination of ocean water. It would enable the growing of food in every desert on the planet, and enable the construction of major cities, anywhere on the planet.

It would revolutionize transportation, housing, education, clothing, every aspect of every persons life on the planet, and lead to true freedom. If you have ever looked at a graph of a nation's economic output, it is directly linked to it's consumption and usage of energy.

Such a discovery would just about solve any and all major global problems, a complete cleaning and rehabilitation of the environment . . . IOW, it would make all major ruling elite families and systems of government obsolete. So why on Earth would they ever let such a technology out of the bottle? Would it not be better to buy up the patents, even if it meant killing inventors and scientists, black mailing, kid-napping, extorting, or doing what ever it takes to hush up such a thing, and keep humanity permanently in a 20th century dark age?
Intriguing and I was speaking on both fusion and fission because both are still being worked on thoroughly.

How do I feel about nuclear propulsion on ships? Pretty good, made several deployments onboard nuclear aircraft carriers, and never had a problem. How do I feel about commercial ships using nuclear power? If they are as meticulous as Adm. Rickover was in designing and running their nuclear programs, again, I have zero problems. The US Navy has probably the best track record of nuclear power that there ever was, but that is because Rickover personally ran the program with an iron fist and accepted ZERO excuses or mistakes.

w
Out of curiosity what was being on a nuclear-powered ship like? Was there a lot of extra risk or fear about contact? Were regulations different?

I think nukes are the future and fusion is the goal. New designs for fission will take us there in the meantime. The waste issue is a NIMBY thing, there are plenty of safe economical options.

I think nukes are the future and fusion is the goal. New designs for fission will take us there in the meantime. The waste issue is a NIMBY thing, there are plenty of safe economical options.
What options do you believe are the best in nuclear waste disposal? I also Completely agree with the future of energy sitting in nuclear fusion.

What are you, a paid shill or just writing a stupid paper? Here's an idea, sparky. If you want to declare something good or a goal, declare first what you're comparing it to. Acknowledge at least one other viable alternative and admit to at least one serious problem or flaw with your favorite puppy. "The Left" says, Merry Xmas all you pansy assed, Trump promoting, victim flakes!

Last edited:
What options do you believe are the best in nuclear waste disposal? I also Completely agree with the future of energy sitting in nuclear fusion.
Yucca Mountain and salt mines seem the best candidates. Any of our basins in the Basin and Range area of the US would likely work as they generally have only internal drainage.

What are you, a paid shill or just writing a stupid paper? Here's an idea, sparky. If you want to declare something good or a goal, declare first what you're comparing it to. Acknowledge at least one other viable alternative and admit to at least one serious problem or flaw with your favorite puppy. "The Left" says, Merry Xmas all you pansy assed, Trump promoting, victim flakes!
Every decent conversation starts with a question. I prefer to discuss a topic and let it engage in a debate if necessary. While there are several opinions most of them I agree with except for your assessment of the question. It is not based on "if it is better than oil", it is simply engaging in theories and realities of the energy production itself. However, if you feel the need to come in and need any other explanations about the usage of the English language just ask away and I will gladly explain the intent of my vocabulary exchanges to you. We all have to slow down for someone.

w
Out of curiosity what was being on a nuclear-powered ship like? Was there a lot of extra risk or fear about contact? Were regulations different?

Actually, to tell you the truth, for those of us who weren't nuclear techs, it was pretty much like being on a normal ship, and you didn't really notice or think much about being on a nuclear powered vessel. But, if you did get close to where the engine room was, there were people who would kindly tell you that you weren't authorized to be there and to leave. No, never had a fear about nuclear contact, and never felt like there was a risk.

Best part about being on a carrier? You could eat 23 out of 24 hours a day, so you never went hungry, even if you had late watch. Not only that, but the meals that were served in the regular chow line were pretty decent. Out of all the ships I served on, being on a carrier I think was the one I enjoyed the most. And, they rarely rocked, even in really heavy seas.

w

Actually, to tell you the truth, for those of us who weren't nuclear techs, it was pretty much like being on a normal ship, and you didn't really notice or think much about being on a nuclear powered vessel. But, if you did get close to where the engine room was, there were people who would kindly tell you that you weren't authorized to be there and to leave. No, never had a fear about nuclear contact, and never felt like there was a risk.

Best part about being on a carrier? You could eat 23 out of 24 hours a day, so you never went hungry, even if you had late watch. Not only that, but the meals that were served in the regular chow line were pretty decent. Out of all the ships I served on, being on a carrier I think was the one I enjoyed the most. And, they rarely rocked, even in really heavy seas.
I have very little knowledge of experiences such as you described only some stories and information passed on by acquaintances. That is quite fascinating though. Not just about the nuclear techs and normality that went along with it but the whole thing is honestly very intriguing to me. Thank you.

w

I have very little knowledge of experiences such as you described only some stories and information passed on by acquaintances. That is quite fascinating though. Not just about the nuclear techs and normality that went along with it but the whole thing is honestly very intriguing to me. Thank you.

I was also on the PRP team, which meant that I was one of the personnel that loaded nuclear weapons on the FA-18. Interestingly enough, when we had our drills for loading and checking, we never knew if they were live or if they were just practice dummies. But, we treated each and every one as if they were live. They would seal off one of the hangars, and put armed Marines around the perimeter to keep unauthorized personnel out.

By the way, speaking of how little a carrier rocks, on one cruise we went above the Arctic Circle in the middle of Feb and had seas so rough that the carrier was taking 15 degree rolls, and spray was coming up OVER the front of the flight deck (90 feet off the water). One of the A-6's that was tied down towards the front ended up being encased in a shell of ice a foot thick, and when we got back to the States, it had to be craned off of the ship. I didn't mind though, because 15 deg. rolls is a regular event on smaller ships, which I had served on before going to the carrier. Best part about that is most of the people who had been on carriers all their enlistment got sea sick, which made for only a 10-15 min. wait in the chow line. Normally, you would wait anywhere from 30 - 45 min. in line. Read a lot of Tom Clancy novels standing in line for chow.

w

I was also on the PRP team, which meant that I was one of the personnel that loaded nuclear weapons on the FA-18. Interestingly enough, when we had our drills for loading and checking, we never knew if they were live or if they were just practice dummies. But, we treated each and every one as if they were live. They would seal off one of the hangars, and put armed Marines around the perimeter to keep unauthorized personnel out.

By the way, speaking of how little a carrier rocks, on one cruise we went above the Arctic Circle in the middle of Feb and had seas so rough that the carrier was taking 15 degree rolls, and spray was coming up OVER the front of the flight deck (90 feet off the water). One of the A-6's that was tied down towards the front ended up being encased in a shell of ice a foot thick, and when we got back to the States, it had to be craned off of the ship. I didn't mind though, because 15 deg. rolls is a regular event on smaller ships, which I had served on before going to the carrier. Best part about that is most of the people who had been on carriers all their enlistment got sea sick, which made for only a 10-15 min. wait in the chow line. Normally, you would wait anywhere from 30 - 45 min. in line. Read a lot of Tom Clancy novels standing in line for chow.
That is very fascinating not to mention it had to be extremely stressful.

I cannot imagine being on a ship that moves so violently. If I had the time I would very much like to spend a summer on a transport ship just to have that experience but I have no clue how that would go. I've heard the arctic circle is very beautiful alongside extremely dangerous. A friend of mine had a brother posted on a ship off of the Alaskan Coast and mentioned it was extremely beautiful including the girls when they docked. I know not too much more of his time spent out there except that he enjoyed it. I bet the line didn't last long, that's some violent water. I never heard of the occurrence of a frozen A-6 that really baffles me. Never read Tom clancy however several friends of mine love his works.

w

That is very fascinating not to mention it had to be extremely stressful.

I cannot imagine being on a ship that moves so violently. If I had the time I would very much like to spend a summer on a transport ship just to have that experience but I have no clue how that would go. I've heard the arctic circle is very beautiful alongside extremely dangerous. A friend of mine had a brother posted on a ship off of the Alaskan Coast and mentioned it was extremely beautiful including the girls when they docked. I know not too much more of his time spent out there except that he enjoyed it. I bet the line didn't last long, that's some violent water. I never heard of the occurrence of a frozen A-6 that really baffles me. Never read Tom clancy however several friends of mine love his works.

Violent? 15 degree rolls are nothing. If you really want to have an experience, try being on a smaller ship on the edge of a hurricane when you are taking 25 to 35 degree rolls. I remember one time during those kind of rough seas, I opened the door to the bridge, we took a roll, and I saw 2 people fall down and slide from one side of the bridge to the other, smacking into the opposite bulkhead.

As far as a frozen aircraft making the news? Nope, that isn't really anything to report, other than to the maintenance folks who have to repair the aircraft.

I really enjoyed the 20 plus years I spent in the Navy. Not only did it provide me with a steady retirement (especially useful in these times of the virus), but I also got to travel to 26 different countries, and 49 different states, only missing Alaska. Not bad for a poor country boy from Montana who wanted to travel the world. As far as which country had the most beautiful women in my opinion? I'd have to say it's a toss up between Italy and Israel. They had some really attractive ladies in those countries, and no, I've never been to Sweden or Norway, but I hear they are gorgeous up there.

Forum List

Back