Obama to move forward with plan to arm Syrian rebels

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Washington (CNN) -- Reluctant approval from Congress for providing military support to Syrian rebels allows the Obama administration to move forward with plans first announced almost six weeks ago.

White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters on Tuesday that the goal of the military aid expected to include small arms, ammunition and perhaps anti-tank weapons is to keep the Syrian opposition going against forces aligned with President Bashar al-Assad's regime.

Noting al-Assad's forces have been helped by Hezbollah in Lebanon as well as Iran, Carney said Syrian rebels need the help of the United States and allied nations to withstand an increased assault.

"The aid is intended to help the opposition resist Assad and eventually prevail," Carney said, adding that any resolution of Syria's civil war will require a political transition.

His comment appeared intended to soften any expectations that the rebels could topple the regime by military means alone.

A source, speaking on condition of being identified only as an official, said Monday that President Barack Obama can begin acting on plans for increased Syrian aid first made public last month now that concerns of Congress had been resolved.

Obama to move forward with plan to arm Syrian rebels - CNN.com

This makes me sick....why isn't Obama being impeached for aiding terrorists?

John McCain and many in the Senate and the House, dem and pub, will approve.

Not really sure what a good solution is..

My take is either you are in..or you are out.

Personally? I think this is a bad idea.

But without cutting off Russian aid to Assad, there is no way a popular revolution is going to work in Syria.

Our courageous Pres. Obama is taking a page from the same play book that Pres. Reagan used when he supplied the mujahideen with money and weapons in Afghanistan. .. :thup:

But without cutting off Russian aid to Assad, there is no way a popular revolution is going to work in Syria.

Who gives a fuck about a "popular revolution" in a shit hole like Syria. Not our problem. Not one bit. Fuckum. They can eat cake.

But the Neocons still have the PNAC in play. There is still work to be done. And what better way to get it done than by having a guy who is supposed to be the oppisite of the neocons do it under a different guise?

Washington (CNN) -- Reluctant approval from Congress for providing military support to Syrian rebels allows the Obama administration to move forward with plans first announced almost six weeks ago.

White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters on Tuesday that the goal of the military aid expected to include small arms, ammunition and perhaps anti-tank weapons is to keep the Syrian opposition going against forces aligned with President Bashar al-Assad's regime.

Noting al-Assad's forces have been helped by Hezbollah in Lebanon as well as Iran, Carney said Syrian rebels need the help of the United States and allied nations to withstand an increased assault.

"The aid is intended to help the opposition resist Assad and eventually prevail," Carney said, adding that any resolution of Syria's civil war will require a political transition.

His comment appeared intended to soften any expectations that the rebels could topple the regime by military means alone.

A source, speaking on condition of being identified only as an official, said Monday that President Barack Obama can begin acting on plans for increased Syrian aid first made public last month now that concerns of Congress had been resolved.

Reluctant approval from Congress
Why not just reject it ?

Our courageous Pres. Obama is taking a page from the same play book that Pres. Reagan used when he supplied the mujahideen with money and weapons in Afghanistan. .. :thup:

Well duh..

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Who gives a fuck about a "popular revolution" in a shit hole like Syria. Not our problem. Not one bit. Fuckum. They can eat cake.

But the Neocons still have the PNAC in play. There is still work to be done. And what better way to get it done than by having a guy who is supposed to be the oppisite of the neocons do it under a different guise?

Ah I see.

So you were against Operation Ajax, arming the muj, bombing Libya, encouraging the Iraq/Iran war and the invasion of Iraq..right?

Or are you "just" coming to see the "light" now?

:doubt:

Reluctant approval from Congress
Why not just reject it ?

Seriously?

:lol:

Ah I see.

So you were against Operation Ajax, arming the muj, bombing Libya, encouraging the Iraq/Iran war and the invasion of Iraq..right?

No, you dont see, that would require thinking. I'm against any intervention policy. Libya, Iraq, Yemen, Pakistan, Syria, Egypt, etc....

There is no imminent threat from any of these shitholes and the goal isn't revolution or any other pleb feed. it's about dominance and "national interest".

Ah I see.

No, you dont see, that would require thinking. I'm against any intervention policy. Libya, Iraq, Yemen, Pakistan, Syria, Egypt, etc....

There is no imminent threat from any of these shitholes and the goal isn't revolution or any other pleb feed. it's about dominance and "national interest".

If you are really sincere about this..we are probably on the same page.

Don't let that stop the frothing insults, son.

That would be bad form.

:lol:

Forum List

Back