Ocean Prey

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
I just finished, a couple of days ago, Ocean Prey, by John Sanford- a Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers novel-
I think it's the best one to date- Davenport is an over the top, legal thug, who is very well off financially and takes advantage of his situation and problem solving skills in a pretty unorthodox manner as a US Marshall, who, apparently doesn't have to play by the rules that other LEO's are supposed to- Virgil Flowers is just cool- from his demeanor to his life style to his life philosophy- together they are a formidable team- very entertaining in this book especially so-

I just finished, a couple of days ago, Ocean Prey, by John Sanford- a Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers novel-
I think it's the best one to date- Davenport is an over the top, legal thug, who is very well off financially and takes advantage of his situation and problem solving skills in a pretty unorthodox manner as a US Marshall, who, apparently doesn't have to play by the rules that other LEO's are supposed to- Virgil Flowers is just cool- from his demeanor to his life style to his life philosophy- together they are a formidable team- very entertaining in this book especially so-
Thanks for the rave review. My eyes aren't good enough to read anymore so I'll wait for the movie. I was hoping the theme would be an outer space monster

Last edited:
I have read almost all of Sanford's Prey series. Have you read any of the Virgil Flowers books. He was Davenport's sidekick. The Virgil Flowers books are good but not as good as the Davenport books.

• Banned
I have read almost all of Sanford's Prey series. Have you read any of the Virgil Flowers books. He was Davenport's sidekick. The Virgil Flowers books are good but not as good as the Davenport books.
Yes I have read nearly all of Sanfords books- I like Virgil Flowers- the stories and his help and being helped by Davenport-

• Banned
Thanks for the rave review. My eyes aren't good enough to read anymore so I'll wait for the movie. I was hoping the theme would be an outer space monster
I'm not sure what to make of your reply- most books are available in audio format, and I've only seen one movie (or TV series) that equals the quality of the book- that is/was Lonesome Dove-

I'm not sure what to make of your reply- most books are available in audio format, and I've only seen one movie (or TV series) that equals the quality of the book- that is/was Lonesome Dove-
I too am having problems with my eyes do to my age which is limiting my reading. I've discovered audiobooks which are wonderful. 20 years years ago few books were available on audio and libraries didn't have that many. Today over half the books are available on audio and most libraries have large selection which is free to patrons. You don't have to mess with tapes and cds. In fact, I never go to the library anymore. I downloaded an app called overdrive, selected my local library, entered my card number and started searching. I can check out up to 25 books at no cost for 21 days, either audio or eBooks then download them to my cellphone or other device. My library has just about all the most popular titles and it doesn't cost anything. The only problems I've had is that there can be long waits, several months or more for new tittles from the top authors. Also it can take a lot longer to listen to books than read them. However, most of readers these days are really good at changing their voice for different characters. It reminds me of radio dramas 70 years ago.

Last edited:
  • Banned
I too am having problems with my eyes do to my age which is limiting my reading. I've discovered audiobooks which are wonderful. 20 years years ago few books were available on audio and libraries didn't have that many. Today over half the books are available on audio and most libraries have large selection which is free to patrons. You don't have to mess with tapes and cds. In fact, I never go to the library anymore. I downloaded an app called overdrive, selected my local library, entered my card number and started searching. I can check out up to 25 books at no cost for 21 days, either audio or eBooks then download them to my cellphone or other device. My library has just about all the most popular titles and it doesn't cost anything. The only problems I've had is that there can be long waits, several months or more for new tittles from the top authors. Also it can take a lot longer to listen to books than read them. However, most of readers these days are really good at changing their voice for different characters. It reminds me of radio dramas 70 years ago.
I remember Radio drama- and the Lone Ranger- ;)

I remember Radio drama- and the Lone Ranger- ;)
Some audio books were created with with voice actors taking the part of each character. That was never very popular probably because of the cost plus many books are mostly written in third person leaving little dialog. Some readers are voice actors who alter their voice to match the characters. Others such as George Guidall simply have a very pleasing voice and style of reading.
A good reader is important. Today popular books rarely have bad readers.

Forum List

Back