Over 30,000 Post 9/11 Suicides Amongst Veterans

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
Forever wars only benefit contractors, corporations, and politicians, and no one else. Almost never civilians, who die in numbers equal or far greater than the soldiers, and never the soldiers themselves, who, if they survive, have another war waiting to fight in the civilian world.

Perpetual War = Perpetual Commerce

And this does not factor in those PTSD deaths not classed as suicides, or those who snapped and started shooting, ending up in prison. That's not that uncommon anymore either. To say nothing of those who accidentally overdose, all while fighting PTSD.

The study finds that at least four times as many active duty personnel and war veterans of post-9/11 conflicts have died of suicide than in combat, as an estimated 30,177 have died by suicide as compared with the 7,057 killed in post-9/11 war operations. The report notes that the increasing rates of suicide for both veterans and active duty personnel are outpacing those of the general population - an alarming shift, as suicide rates among service members have historically been lower than suicide rates among the general population

Forever wars only benefit contractors, corporations, and politicians, and no one else. Almost never civilians, who die in numbers equal or far greater than the soldiers, and never the soldiers themselves, who, if they survive, have another war waiting to fight in the civilian world.

And this does not factor in those PTSD deaths not classed as suicides, or those who snapped and started shooting, ending up in prison. That's not that uncommon anymore either. To say nothing of those who accidentally overdose, all while fighting PTSD.

The study finds that at least four times as many active duty personnel and war veterans of post-9/11 conflicts have died of suicide than in combat, as an estimated 30,177 have died by suicide as compared with the 7,057 killed in post-9/11 war operations. The report notes that the increasing rates of suicide for both veterans and active duty personnel are outpacing those of the general population - an alarming shift, as suicide rates among service members have historically been lower than suicide rates among the general population

War Happy Obammy was hard on our troops.

Sad really.

Army21Infantry3BMosulIraq11320054.jpg

Forever wars only benefit contractors, corporations, and politicians, and no one else.
unfortunately our national leadership did fail the troops following 9-11

Particularly Bush43 and obama44

The invasion of iraq was a total mistake

In afghanistan the was necessary but never should have lasted more than 6 months

instead we are still there today

And as usual, not actually looking into the real statistics. Just making things up to try and fit them into your beliefs.

A large study of nearly 4 million U.S. service members and veterans found that deployment to Iraq and Afghanistan is not associated with an increased risk of suicide.
Appearing in JAMA Psychiatry online on Wednesday, the study by researchers at the Defense Department's National Center for Telehealth and Technology, or T2, indicates that although the suicide rate among active-duty personnel has increased since 2001, the rate for those who deployed to a combat zone was roughly the same as for those who did not.

And this is a study released in 2015, we now know that in fact the risk of those who deployed is even lower.

But as I all to often see, the hatred and bigotry of those in the military has slanted your views.

But for a moment, let me humor this "report". Here is my question, it is an actual intellectual paper that really assembles the data then tries to reach a conclusion based on the data? Or are they combing through the data in an attempt to make connections to follow their beliefs? Well, it was not hard to figure that out.

The Costs of War Project is a team of 50 scholars, legal experts, human rights practitioners, and physicians, which began its work in 2010. We use research and a public website to facilitate debate about the costs of the post-9/11 wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the related violence in Pakistan and Syria. There are many hidden or unacknowledged costs of the United States’ decision to respond to the 9/11 attacks with military force. We aim to foster democratic discussion of these wars by providing the fullest possible account of their human, economic, and political costs, and to foster better informed public policies.

Project Goals:​

• To account for and illustrate the wars’ costs in human lives among all categories of person affected by them, both in the US and in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan;
  • To tell as accessible as possible a story of the wars’ costs in US federal and local dollars, including the long-term financial legacy of the wars in the US;
  • To assess the public health consequences of the wars, including for the countries of Iraq and Afghanistan and for US veterans living with war injuries and illnesses;
  • To describe how these wars have changed the political landscape of the US and the countries where the wars have been waged, including the status of women in the war zones, the degree to which Iraq and Afghanistan’s fledgling democracies are inclusive and transparent, and the state of civil liberties and human rights in the US;
  • To identify less costly and more effective ways to prevent further terror attacks.

So yeah, this is not a serious scholarly article that is looking at things in a neutral and non-biased manner. It is a targeted fluff piece, intending to push an agenda. And they do not even do actual research, they say it quite clearly themselves. "We use research and a public website to facilitate debate". Translation, they cherry pick things from other sources that support their own bias and beliefs, and then shovel it to others. In more simple words, propaganda.

Therefore, flushed as not important at all.

Hell, I bet you do not even know how a "Veteran with PTSD" acts or behaves.

Mushroom, that might be one of the most singularly inaccurate posts I've ever read on this forum. I honestly thought you were smarter than that, but I'm mistaken. You really are not.

Not a serious scholarly article? Okay, sure

Hatred of the military? Why in the fuck would I hate the military when I experienced so much good from my time in it? Not just memories, but other more tangible benefits, like the G.I. Bill, and the discipline I learned over six years.

If you have a scientific argument with how they researched and compiled their data, feel free to post it.

Many of those are not suicides.

Pat Tillman was murdered by Jews in the army Rangers for telling us the truth...

We are just so sitting here. We have no target. We took Kabul and Kandahar, and since then, we just sit around.

Pat Tillman was on to the truth, that 911 was a fraud, getting col tim osman aka "Osama" was "not a priority" as w admitted.

In afghan, when we arrived, three was an ongoing war between taliban and The Northern Alliance, armed and funded by IRAN.

Then W flipped them off with Axis of Evil. W deployed our troops to country A to ally with B to fight enemy C, and then flipped off ally B with our troops still there and the mission not accomplished....

Israel did not want TNA to win. Israel prefers Twliban in charge over an ally of Iran. W just said YES MASTER and sold out our afghan deployment (as if the actual deployment was not a total fraud and act of intentional treason, which it was)

If they wanted to off those behind 911, start in CIA hq

Mushroom, that might be one of the most singularly inaccurate posts I've ever read on this forum. I honestly thought you were smarter than that, but I'm mistaken. You really are not.

Not a serious scholarly article? Okay, sure

Hatred of the military? Why in the fuck would I hate the military when I experienced so much good from my time in it? Not just memories, but other more tangible benefits, like the G.I. Bill, and the discipline I learned over six years.

If you have a scientific argument with how they researched and compiled their data, feel free to post it.

"Scientific"? They went through a bunch of reports made by others, and then publish their own beliefs with those to back them up.

This however is why I encourage everybody to "Vette their sources". When your reference and entire post ifs an obvious attack, all I can do is point out that it is an aimed attack, throw in a much more neutral source, then walk away. The fact is, most suicides in the military are from those who never deployed. And it has not a damned thing from PTSD, but you have apparently bought into the entire "PTSD VET" belief, and think we are all some kind of ticking timebombs.

We joined the military, became a bunch of killers, and when we get back we start shooting up places and killing people.

And you said it in your own post, which just confirms that you believe all of the bias in that report. Meanwhile, refuse any other reports that show your beliefs are wrong.

But fine, my post is "unscientific". Here, feel free to look through this report, compiled by the VA.

There you find true numbers, and no "political spin".

Things explicitly covered in the VA report. For example, while the suicide rate in the US has been increasing since 2018, among veterans it is actually decreasing. And that the anomaly among stats has long been attributed to the simple fact that military and veterans also meet the highest risk factor groups (young males, away from home).

How many of the seal team who "got bin laden" are still alive?

Zero.....

How many of the seal team who "got bin laden" are still alive?

Zero.....

Uhhh, all of them?

Typical conspiracy theory coprolite. And I know what you are going to bring up, all you tinfoil hat nuts do.

The ones killed a few months later were in a completely different unit. The ones for OBL were in Red Squadron. The ones killed months later were in Green and Silver Squadrons.

Gee, facts are sure annoying.

Trump started no new wars.
Of course that doesnt fit your agenda.

I don't have an agenda, and I thank President Trump for not starting any new wars. In fact, if there is one single paradigm shift that results from a Trump presidency that I fully endorse and support, it is that these stupid and abhorrent wars Republicans like to start are not going to be as popular moving forward.

I don't have an agenda, and I thank President Trump for not starting any new wars. In fact, if there is one single paradigm shift that results from a Trump presidency that I fully endorse and support, it is that these stupid and abhorrent wars Republicans like to start are not going to be as popular moving forward.

I see. So in 2001 when the Taliban wanted us distracted, you think we should have stayed out of their renewal of the civil war, just because they attacked us? And we should not have gotten involved?

Nor when Iraq constantly violated UN sanctions? And I imagine that also means we should not have been involved when they annexed Kuwait in the first place, right?

If there is one thing I hate, it is actually when people "Politicize" the military, and conflicts. But tell me, President Clinton was the man in charge for 8 years, plenty of time where he could have pulled us out of the region. But strange, he never did that. In fact, I have a hard time remembering, were there any attacks against his country during either of the Bust Presidencies other than 2003? But how many times did President Clinton attack him during that time?

Yes, Bush 41 got us involved with NATO when Yugoslavia imploded. But who turned that into a long involvement, with actual boots on the ground that we are still involved in?

And notice something, I am not pointing fingers here. I for one reject all the "Wag the Dog" claims when President Clinton took military actions. I do not politicize such things, yet somehow you seem to be going on about "Republican Wars". That is only telling of your biased mindset and nothing else.

And the reason why the suicide rates (which have ALWAYS been high among the military, mostly due to demographics) is such a big deal, is this has been the least bloody war we have ever been in. We have had single day battles that have killed more than 2 decades of war. I guess you are thinking that is a bad thing, and we should have had more deaths from combat. Or disease (which was another large killer in past conflicts).

And as usual, not actually looking into the real statistics. Just making things up to try and fit them into your beliefs.

A large study of nearly 4 million U.S. service members and veterans found that deployment to Iraq and Afghanistan is not associated with an increased risk of suicide.
Appearing in JAMA Psychiatry online on Wednesday, the study by researchers at the Defense Department's National Center for Telehealth and Technology, or T2, indicates that although the suicide rate among active-duty personnel has increased since 2001, the rate for those who deployed to a combat zone was roughly the same as for those who did not.

And this is a study released in 2015, we now know that in fact the risk of those who deployed is even lower.

But as I all to often see, the hatred and bigotry of those in the military has slanted your views.

But for a moment, let me humor this "report". Here is my question, it is an actual intellectual paper that really assembles the data then tries to reach a conclusion based on the data? Or are they combing through the data in an attempt to make connections to follow their beliefs? Well, it was not hard to figure that out.

The Costs of War Project is a team of 50 scholars, legal experts, human rights practitioners, and physicians, which began its work in 2010. We use research and a public website to facilitate debate about the costs of the post-9/11 wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the related violence in Pakistan and Syria. There are many hidden or unacknowledged costs of the United States’ decision to respond to the 9/11 attacks with military force. We aim to foster democratic discussion of these wars by providing the fullest possible account of their human, economic, and political costs, and to foster better informed public policies.

• To account for and illustrate the wars’ costs in human lives among all categories of person affected by them, both in the US and in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan;
  • To tell as accessible as possible a story of the wars’ costs in US federal and local dollars, including the long-term financial legacy of the wars in the US;
  • To assess the public health consequences of the wars, including for the countries of Iraq and Afghanistan and for US veterans living with war injuries and illnesses;
  • To describe how these wars have changed the political landscape of the US and the countries where the wars have been waged, including the status of women in the war zones, the degree to which Iraq and Afghanistan’s fledgling democracies are inclusive and transparent, and the state of civil liberties and human rights in the US;
  • To identify less costly and more effective ways to prevent further terror attacks.

So yeah, this is not a serious scholarly article that is looking at things in a neutral and non-biased manner. It is a targeted fluff piece, intending to push an agenda. And they do not even do actual research, they say it quite clearly themselves. "We use research and a public website to facilitate debate". Translation, they cherry pick things from other sources that support their own bias and beliefs, and then shovel it to others. In more simple words, propaganda.

What's your point ?
30,000 military suicides in 20 years is normal ?
And why are they doing it if the op is wrong , as you claim ?

Well done!

Well done!
Legalize weed so the VA can give it to these guys and I GUARANTEE the suicide rate will drop in half the first year.

And why are they doing it if the op is wrong , as you claim?
My guess is if they couldnt cut it in the military they had other personal problems that drove them to suicide
Maybe they realized they've been lied to and were tricked into joining for 'free college' --"welcome to the University of fucking Baghdad kid."

Look up how many Guard and Reserves got sent under Bush and Obama.

War Happy Obammy was hard on our troops.

Sad really.

View attachment 504392
Yeah, do not blame it on Bush and Cheney.

New Topics

Forum List

Back