Oz the Great and Powerful

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
Just saw this prequel in 3D.

I ordinarily don't care for 3D movies. Some movies seem to be made for 3D just for the sake of 3D, wo I will avoid most movies if they are in 3D just because they are in 3D. 3D is usually a great indicator of a really lousy movie.

But if you are going to see Oz, see it in 3D.

Even the opening credits are cleverly done in 3D to give an old-timey feel.

For parents, Oz the Great and Powerful is definitely kid friendly. There were small children sitting in front of me during this film and they were oooh-ing and ahh-ing all through the film, which made it even more enjoyable.

There are some moments which might freak out the particularly squeamish little ones, but the makers seemed to have taken great pains not to drag these scenes out.

For those looking for a complicated plot, this is not your film. The plot is simple, and I think that was deliberate to keep it in line with the original. When you think about it, the Wizard of Oz is not a complicated story, and yet the film is a classic. So, too, is this story.

And just like the original, this movie starts out in black and white and becomes color once Oz enters the land of Oz.

This is the story of not only the Wizard's beginnings, but also that of the three witches.

If this movie was going to fall on its face, it would have done so with Theodora's plot line. And for just a moment there, I though it was going to do just that. But all credit to Mila Kunis and the makeup people, Theodora's story swoops into the sky and keeps on going. Very well done.

Fellas, there is a lot of insight into women in this film.

The visuals are excellent. This movie is predictably dependent on CGI, heavily so. And I generally do not like movies that are, but they do a really good job here.

Young boys are going to love the little monkey, and little girls are going to want to buy the china doll by the millions.

Using three women who are not A-list actresses is actually a strong suit for this movie. Powerful real world personalities would have drowned the subtleties of the characters.

All through the movie I kept wondering where I had seen the actress playing Evanora before. She was absolutely gorgeous in this movie. It turns out she was in The Bourne Legacy in a really small role. I guess she must have stuck with me. :redface:

Michelle Williams as the good witch Glinda is also drop dead gorgeous.

James Franco as the Wizard is perfect. This will sound funny, but I have never seen any of his movies. I don't watch comic book movies like Spiderman, and I could not see any point to watching a movie about a guy trapped with a rock for 127 hours. So this was my first impression of him, and he was very, very good.

For some reason, I thought Johnny Depp was going to be playing the Wizard, and I am sure he would have been perfect for the role. But just as A-list women would have overpowered the women's roles, Depp would have stolen the show, too.

Together, Franco and Kunis were a perfectly balanced team.

A fun movie to watch.

For most guys, this will not be a movie you would watch twice, but one you'll be glad you saw once.

For kids, they will want to see it over and over again.

Last edited:
Here she is. Toys R Us: Disney Oz The Great and Powerful 14 inch China Doll - Tolly Tots - Toys "R" Us

Amazon: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Oz-The-Great-Powerful/dp/B00ABDZUPG]Disney Oz The Great and Powerful - 14 inch China Doll[/ame]

The doll is also at Target.

Here's the monkey: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Great-Powerful-Movie-Finley/dp/B00BGFGN7W/ref=pd_sim_t_5]Disney Oz the Great & Powerful Movie 19 Inch Plush Finley[/ame]

They actually have all the movie characters on Amazon. :lol:

p856u.gif

Last edited:
OZ is such a wonderful franchise I'm surprised there aren't more films and books playing off that concept.

Hell its out of copyright and everything.

Here's my treatment of a book I purchased in 1957 for the staggering sum of $1.

Rinkitink in Oz

OZ is such a wonderful franchise I'm surprised there aren't more films and books playing off that concept.

Hell its out of copyright and everything.

Here's my treatment of a book I purchased in 1957 for the staggering sum of $1.

Rinkitink in Oz

Wicked has been a hit on Broadway for ten years

I saw it last weekend and it was OK

Worth seeing but not something you could watch year after year like the original

Acting was second rate. Francos constant smirk got irritating. Mila Kunis is no Margaret Hamilton when it comes to wicked witches

I thought I could have written a more engaging story line

Forum List

Back