Paint Your Wagon 1969

A western, a musical, a 3 hour incoherent mess. Clint Eastwood sings and Lee Marvin overacts.
"Incoherent mess?" What'a ya mean? It's a great movie. A wagon train of prospectors stumble upon gold so they stake their claims and mine it out and then move on, and the shenanigans during that time period ensue, especially when Ben Rumpson takes a bride. It's an epic. One of the all time greatest westerns. One of my favorites, right up there with The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Last edited:
A western, a musical, a 3 hour incoherent mess. Clint Eastwood sings and Lee Marvin overacts.
"Incoherent mess?" What'a ya mean? It's a great movie. A wagon train of prospectors stumble upon gold so they stake their claims and mine it out and then move on, and the shenanigans during that time period ensue, especially when Ben Rumpson takes a bride. It's an epic. One of the all time greatest westerns. One of my favorites, right up there with The Outlaw Josey Wales.

"Dyin ain't much of a livin boy"

I saw Paint Your Wagon in a theater back when it was first run. I was 18 and did not do any research. I was expecting action-filled excitement like "Where Eagles Dare" or maybe a lesser Eastwood vehicle like "Coogan's Bluff", both released a year or so earlier. I was painfully disappointed. The other side of that same coin was when I went to see Blazing Saddles thinking it was a real western. It immediately became my favorite comedy and remains so to this day.

Surely took on one of the glaring issues of the day in the mormon church--allowing female members multiple spouses. I thought is was head and shoulders above ANYTHING that Hollyweird has produced in at least forty years.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

"Dyin ain't much of a livin boy"
"I had to come back..."

Surely took on one of the glaring issues of the day in the mormon church--allowing female members multiple spouses. I thought is was head and shoulders above ANYTHING that Hollyweird has produced in at least forty years.
"... it don't make sense in Iowa, but it does in California."

I don't know how anyone could not like that movie, even though Clint Eastwood himself called it a "boondoggle." It was never meant to be a serious movie. It was meant to be silly and fun, and that it was.

I don't know how anyone could not like that movie, even though Clint Eastwood himself called it a "boondoggle." It was never meant to be a serious movie. It was meant to be silly and fun, and that it was.
It was one of a couple of light movies (musicals) that were produced in the late 60s. Another being Finnegan's Rainbow. Light enjoyable fare that left the viewer with a good feeling after it was over. Purely fiction in both cases though.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

It was one of a couple of light movies (musicals) that were produced in the late 60s. Another being Finnegan's Rainbow. Light enjoyable fare that left the viewer with a good feeling after it was over. Purely fiction in both cases though.
Wish they still made movies like that.

Two guys marry the same woman and the whole town falls apart at the end. Maybe a coherent mess.

Two guys marry the same woman and the whole town falls apart at the end. Maybe a coherent mess.
You make it sound as though you've never watched a fiction movie before.

You make it sound as though you've never watched a fiction movie before.
That's the problem. It wasn't fiction or a western or a musical or even a slapstick comedy. It spent almost 3 hours trying to be all of those things and it didn't work. You don't have to defend a crappy movie out of loyalty to Clint Eastwood. I like most of his stuff.

One of the best movies ever made.
It wasn't close to being the best musical I have seen but far from the worst. Lots of people really liked it, judging from the box office and the 7 academy awards. It was fun to watch both Marvin and Eastwood playing against type. The music was excellent; can't say the same for the acting. Paint Your Wagon is certainly not in the same ballpark as Learner & Lowe's other hits, such as "My Fair Lady", "Camelot", and "Gigi". The movie was pretty corny but that was the intent. I really like two of the numbers, the theme, "Paint Your Wagon" and "Wandering Star".

Forum List

Back