Paint Your Wagon 1969

"The Sound of Music" grossed about 285 million. "Paint Your Wagon" did about 30 million. People like musicals but they don't care for western slapstick comedies that pretend to be musicals.
Well, I'm not sure about that. "Anne Get Your Gun" did pretty well as did
"The Sound of Music" grossed about 285 million. "Paint Your Wagon" did about 30 million. People like musicals but they don't care for western slapstick comedies that pretend to be musicals.
Different strokes.
Annie Get Your Gun, Oklahoma, Will Rogers Follies, and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers all did pretty well at the box office

Great as the movie was there was a live production of "Paint Your Wagon" put on several successive years at The Nevada County Fairgrounds in Grass Valley, California. GV is the heart of the gold country. It's the area about which the play was written. While not everything in the play/movie are historically accurate a surprising number are. The production featured a cast of local professionals and a considerable number of horses, oxen and other animals. The first year or two the lead was played by Fred Forsman - a face and overall appearance perfect for the role. While the production was videotaped it was long before "social media" and a copy has never shown up.

It is said that the actual location the town where many of the events appearing in the play happened was not far from Grass Valley in a place captured from old photographs:

Great as the movie was there was a live production of "Paint Your Wagon" put on several successive years at The Nevada County Fairgrounds in Grass Valley, California. GV is the heart of the gold country. It's the area about which the play was written. While not everything in the play/movie are historically accurate a surprising number are. The production featured a cast of local professionals and a considerable number of horses, oxen and other animals. The first year or two the lead was played by Fred Forsman - a face and overall appearance perfect for the role. While the production was videotaped it was long before "social media" and a copy has never shown up.

It is said that the actual location the town where many of the events appearing in the play happened was not far from Grass Valley in a place captured from old photographs:

Surprisingly, it wasn't. I was always under the impression that it was filmed in the Sonora-Angels Camp area, but not so. Turns out it was filmed in NE Oregon and the Holcomb Valley near Big Bear Lake in San Bernardino county. Filming Locations for Joshua Logan's Paint Your Wagon (1969), with Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin, in Oregon.

Surprisingly, it wasn't. I was always under the impression that it was filmed in the Sonora-Angels Camp area, but not so. Turns out it was filmed in NE Oregon and the Holcomb Valley near Big Bear Lake in San Bernardino county. Filming Locations for Joshua Logan's Paint Your Wagon (1969), with Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin, in Oregon.

Beautiful place

Attachments

• 1621704130527.png
    1621704130527.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 25
Different strokes.
You make my case. Sound of Music was a musical set in the dark days of WW2 and became a hit. Paint Your Wagon was a musical but it didn't make much sense.

i
Different strokes.
You make my case. Sound of Music was a musical set in the dark days of WW2 and became a hit. Paint Your Wagon was a musical but it didn't make much sense.
Isn't that why we watch such things though? There is a bit of nonsense in every fictional work. That is where the escape come from. I was not a fan of Cabaret or Camelot, but they were two highly successful musicals. It is refreshing that we are not all clones and we have different tastes.

Different strokes.
The movie made sense. It just wasn't very good despite the great music . Take a mediocre Broadway musical that couldn't make it through 2 seasons and couldn't mount a road show and try to turn it into a hit movie musical by spending 18 million dollars on it is a bad idea to begin with. Paramount hired the two of biggest action adventure stars in Hollywood at that time to star in a musical by two of the biggest names on Broadway, Lerner and Loewe plus add Jean Seberg to give the film some class Apparently no one consider the problem of making a musical with 3 stars that couldn't sing nor dance. The strong point of play was the music. And what was needed was knockout performances delivering it. What audiences got was Clinton Eastwood singing like a wounded moose and Lee Marvin singing like a drunk panhandler. Nobody had the courage, foresight, or common sense to perform voiceovers. I never quite figured out why Jean Seberg was there other than the money. Her role didn't call for much acting and her contract called for voice overs.

Although the film was flop, the sound track was a hit.

Last edited:
i
Different strokes.
Isn't that why we watch such things though? There is a bit of nonsense in every fictional work. That is where the escape come from. I was not a fan of Cabaret or Camelot, but they were two highly successful musicals. It is refreshing that we are not all clones and we have different tastes.
Fictional movies don't have to be accurate but should be realist enough to be believable. Musicals are the exception. Musicals productions are fantasies. The music and dancing are an expression of how the characters feel. I don't there has ever been a situation were a crowd on the street broke in song and dance backed up by policemen.

Different strokes.
The movie made sense. It just wasn't very good despite the great music . Take a mediocre Broadway musical that couldn't make it through 2 seasons and couldn't mount a road show and try to turn it into a hit movie musical by spending 18 million dollars on it is a bad idea to begin with. Paramount hired the two of biggest action adventure stars in Hollywood at that time to star in a musical by two of the biggest names on Broadway, Lerner and Loewe plus add Jean Seberg to give the film some class Apparently no one consider the problem of making a musical with 3 stars that couldn't sing nor dance. The strong point of play was the music. And what was needed was knockout performances delivering it. What audiences got was Clinton Eastwood singing like a wounded moose and Lee Marvin singing like a drunk panhandler. Nobody had the courage, foresight, or common sense to perform voiceovers. I never quite figured out why Jean Seberg was there other than the money. Her role didn't call for much acting and her contract called for voice overs.

I think you are reading too much into an effort to make light of some of the more ludicrous ideas of our past and present. How hilarious is it that a female mormon was to take on two ne'er do wells and actually produce some levity. I was not aware that it flopped. I thoroughly enjoyed the show.

i
Different strokes.
Fictional movies don't have to be accurate but should be realist enough to be believable. Musicals are the exception. Musicals productions are fantasies. The music and dancing are an expression of how the characters feel. I don't there has ever been a situation were a crowd on the street broke in song and dance backed up by policemen.
Ever seen a flash mob? LOL

Different strokes.

I think you are reading too much into an effort to make light of some of the more ludicrous ideas of our past and present. How hilarious is it that a female mormon was to take on two ne'er do wells and actually produce some levity. I was not aware that it flopped. I thoroughly enjoyed the show.
Although the quality of the production was not there, I did enjoy. It just could have been a lot better if Paramount had done some voice overs. The press referred to it as the biggest Flop in the West because it barely broken even at the box office and it was expected to be a blockbuster. The Sound track was a big winner.

Last edited:
i
Different strokes.
No, is it a musical

• i
    Different strokes.
    No, is it a musical
    What is flash mob performance?
    • A flash mob is an organized routine of a group of performers working together on a large scale to surprise and amuse the general public for a temporary period of time with a spontaneous performance. Flash mob performances can include dances, songs or even record breaking attempts. I've never seen on live, but I think it would be a hoot. Here's is a video

• i
    Different strokes.
    No, is it a musical
    What is flash mob performance?
    • A flash mob is an organized routine of a group of performers working together on a large scale to surprise and amuse the general public for a temporary period of time with a spontaneous performance. Flash mob performances can include dances, songs or even record breaking attempts. I've never seen on live, but I think it would be a hoot. Here's is a video

I had herd of them but just didn't know the name.

Forum List

Back