Parents at this Toronto public school started an unofficial breakfast program. Red tape and complaints from the adjoining Catholic school shut it down

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Wow, I'm sure Jesus (or is it Mother Mary?) would be so proud. Catholic school pushed to have this program to halt, because hey, it's not about the food the kids need, its about the greater lesson "don't take food from strangers".

At what point is someone a person of faith in name only?

Parents of a Toronto public school community who have been handing out free breakfast to kids since last fall have been told to stop doing so by an adjacent Catholic school after complaints that the initiative contravened protocols and encouraged children to take food from strangers.

Anyone who thinks it's important to this story that the complainers were Catholic.

Umm, do facts bother you? Whatever the denomination of the people complaining, they are the facts. A Catholic school thought it would be "Catholic-like" to prevent impoverished kids from getting breakfast because it went against protocol and was teaching them the wrong lesson about "talking money from strangers".

They don't seem to mind when the stranger is the government and they get tax breaks.

CINO? Catholic In Name Only? If I were a parent with my kid in their school I would demand answers. If this is Catholicism, well, I can understand why some might be a little leary...

This is illegal in Oregon ... We the People have caused to come into effect strict rules about the purity and safety of human foods ... this is obviously a commercial-level operation and MUST comply with all local, state and federal rules concerning food preparation ... just like how we made the Catholics run their operation ...

One bad batch of spinach and you've poisoned 50 children ... who pays? ...

California public schools provide free meals to all their children, without regard to income ... but that's more a comment about having too much food ... it's cheaper to have children eat the extra food than throw it away ... God knows Canada will never have that problem ...

This is illegal in Oregon ... We the People have caused to come into effect strict rules about the purity and safety of human foods ... this is obviously a commercial-level operation and MUST comply with all local, state and federal rules concerning food preparation ... just like how we made the Catholics run their operation ...

One bad batch of spinach and you've poisoned 50 children ... who pays? ...

California public schools provide free meals to all their children, without regard to income ... but that's more a comment about having too much food ... it's cheaper to have children eat the extra food than throw it away ... God knows Canada will never have that problem ...

Sure, defend the indefensible.

I was speaking to written law ... this is illegal in Oregon ... looks like it's illegal there too ... is lawful behavior now "indefensible"? ... help me here, I don't keep up with the latest New Speak ...

You first paragraph sure. Your second paragraph just takes the life out of life.

There are risks in everything. There is faith whenever you buy food be it from the grocery store or pizza delivery to your door.

You first paragraph sure. Your second paragraph just takes the life out of life.

There are risks in everything. There is faith whenever you buy food be it from the grocery store or pizza delivery to your door.

This starts with a separate kitchen ... we can't do commercial food preparation in our own family's kitchen ... not where there's privacy rights ... there is no privacy from government intrusion where pure food and drug laws exist ... and we'll have to be inspected before we can start producing our food product ...

This includes all schools both public and private ... if you hold private schools to these standards, you can expect the private school to squauk about public school getting a pass ...

Oh right, no 14th Amendment in the Great White North ... Catholics can't be Head-of-State there ...

This starts with a separate kitchen ... we can't do commercial food preparation in our own family's kitchen ... not where there's privacy rights ... there is no privacy from government intrusion where pure food and drug laws exist ... and we'll have to be inspected before we can start producing our food product ...

This includes all schools both public and private ... if you hold private schools to these standards, you can expect the private school to squauk about public school getting a pass ...

Oh right, no 14th Amendment in the Great White North ... Catholics can't be Head-of-State there ...

Well, put it this way. Let's say there were some rules being broken. Why should this concern the Catholic School Board?

Parents didn't complain, nor did teachers or students. Another school does though because...?

Well, put it this way. Let's say there were some rules being broken. Why should this concern the Catholic School Board?

Parents didn't complain, nor did teachers or students. Another school does though because...?

Rules were broken ... by a government agency ... if you don't like the rules, complain to parliament ... your MP is paid to listen to you bitch, maybe avail yourself? ... but turning a blind eye to illegal activities at a children's school? ... there are better ways to help ...

As a licensed construction contractor, I was paying into an insurance pool ... accidents happen ... so I'm reporting any and all scabs to State Authorities ... they're breaking the law and costing me money ... that's how insurance works ...

Forum List

Back