PC Sticks

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
iu

Personal computer in a stick form. Plug it into a monitor, TV, folding keyboard, mouse etc. It is a flash drive sized portable computer, with Windows 10 loaded on it, (all brands that are made so far). You won't be playing any 3D games or doing any serious multitasking yet but they're getting there. They run from $50 to $400.

Hopefully they are better than the game consoles surfing capabilities on the information super highway...

iu

Personal computer in a stick form. Plug it into a monitor, TV, folding keyboard, mouse etc. It is a flash drive sized portable computer, with Windows 10 loaded on it, (all brands that are made so far). You won't be playing any 3D games or doing any serious multitasking yet but they're getting there. They run from $50 to $400.

Gee, put a touch screen display on the front of it and the ability to dial and it could almost be a cellphone!

iu

Been using them for years on the shop floor for barcode collection.

Set up a mesh network and it's plug and play.

iu

You can get a Raspberry Pi for 10 bucks, and it has built in Wifi and bluetooth. A case will cost you another 5 bucks

iu

I don't think I would want to plug that directly into my TV or something because of the stress it may put on the board.

iu

You can get a Raspberry Pi for 10 bucks, and it has built in Wifi and bluetooth. A case will cost you another 5 bucks

A Raspberry Pi 4 is $50 MSRP (8gb) and about $60 retail. Great little machines, but they don't run Windows and can't join a domain. I use them for electronic locks, the bell system, and the evacuation alarm. Use a Python script and they can run all sorts of relays.

iu

A Raspberry Pi 4 is $50 MSRP (8gb) and about $60 retail. Great little machines, but they don't run Windows and can't join a domain. I use them for electronic locks, the bell system, and the evacuation alarm. Use a Python script and they can run all sorts of relays.
I had something like that hooked up to my TV. It wasn't a Raspberry Pi, but some copycat. It had Windows 10.

It would support a wireless keyboard and mouse. I just had it there in the living room for guests to use. Then it started crashing after a year or two at startup. I never did figure out what was wrong with it.

But ever since the pandemic I haven't really had a lot of guests like I used to, so really haven't tried very hard to troubleshoot it, yet.

I did try to use the recovery thumbdrive but it didn't work. Maybe it's corrupted? Or maybe it's the wrong one. I dunno. :dunno:

I still have it in a box around here somewhere.

iu

A Pi Zero W sells for $10.00. Add a keyboard. mouse, and display and you have a complete computer that is capable of connecting to the internet just like any other computer with a browser. I use it to control multiple wireless IP security cameras. Windows is possible, but it's too slow to be of much use. This video is for the zero. The zero W has wireless capability, so you don't need the ethernet cable.

Forum List

Back