Percy vs. Goliath, the story of one man against a political powerhouse.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I have always liked Christopher Walken, a bit one-noted I know... I guess I like that note.
The movie itself is based on a true story of Percy Schreiber who found himself being sued by Monsanto for patent infringement.
Percy was one of the last "real" farmers. Farmers use to always, of course, save seeds. Particularly from fields that did well. This is how farmers improved their crops and yield.
But the new kind of farming... GMO seeds... was taking over. Promising unimaginable yields. And - they delivered. They worked. But it came at a price, once you used their seeds... you could never use any other seed... forever. Of course, they didn't tell farmers that.
They found out the hard way.

Good movie, acting not brilliant... but good. And the story is an important one.

I have always liked Christopher Walken, a bit one-noted I know... I guess I like that note.
The movie itself is based on a true story of Percy Schreiber who found himself being sued by Monsanto for patent infringement.
Percy was one of the last "real" farmers. Farmers use to always, of course, save seeds. Particularly from fields that did well. This is how farmers improved their crops and yield.
But the new kind of farming... GMO seeds... was taking over. Promising unimaginable yields. And - they delivered. They worked. But it came at a price, once you used their seeds... you could never use any other seed... forever. Of course, they didn't tell farmers that.

Good movie, acting not brilliant... but good. And the story is an important one.

Is it available on Netflix or Prime?

Monsanto causes mixed emotions around here. They built one of the biggest factories in the area and took hundreds of families out of poverty.

My Taid and Nana had an engagement that went on over many years and always ended when he was out of work, which was a lot in those days. When he got that job in Monsanto they were able to get married and he stayed there till retirement.

They were a good employer and looked after their staff. they had a social club, cricket and hockey pitches and a snooker club. Retired staff were invited back and used the staff canteen and it was very paternal.

But they got fined for polluting the river every year and we had to have a Monsanto drill in school in case the place ever blew up.

But we didnt know they were evil.

Is it available on Netflix or Prime?

We rented it on VuDu

Forum List

Back