pharmacist have 1st Amendment right to refuse to dispense Plan B

Hey Libbies I gotta deal for you.

I'll support forcing every pharmacy to sell Plan B if you support FORCING every bookstore to carry the Bible.
i'm a liberal and I don't think we should or can force all pharmacies to carry an over the counter drug, which plan B is an over the counter drug...at least via Federal law.....

And honestly, you can't force a book store to carry a Bible, that does break the First Amendment....

Plan B is the same drug as birth control pills....there is no additional component in the drug, it's the same, only stronger....like popping 10 days of bc pills at once....it does not work if the woman is pregnant already, it only prevents a pregnancy from happening, just as BC pills....

since it is over the counter and it is not used by many people so there is not great demand for it by the community on the whole, I have no problem with a pharmacy choosing not to carry it....not because of religious reasons, but just because the owner doesn't want to carry it....but I do believe the Pharmacy owner should let the rape patient know where they can get it from. I think it is heartless and I think the rape patient looking for it has already been through enough stress already and the time table of needing to take it within 3 days for it to work properly is putting more undue stress upon her and would never ever give my business to a Pharmacy that I found out was being this heartless....but heh, to each his own.

Care

Could the CEO of the regional electricity cooperative/generation plant decide she doesn't want to sell power to Mosques? Or Doctor's offices that perform abortions? Or places that sell guns if she is a pacifist?

Did I miss the point where pharmacies became public utilities rather than private businesses? No? Did I miss the point where the pharmacy is refusing to sell to only certain people and not others? No?

Then if neither of these situations applies - and they are the only things that could make your asinine post even VAGUELY relevant or meaningful - may I ask what possessed you to waste time and space posting this pointless piece of shit? If you were trying to prove to us that you're the poster girl for repealing women's suffrage on the grounds that they really ARE too softheaded to be allowed to vote, you accomplished that long ago.
point to where i supported the idea of forcing all businesses to carry a product as mandated by the government?

i pointed out that as the law was written, that the pharmacy was already mandated to carry the product. but the pharmacist simply refused to sell based on a religious preference. so ill ask you the same question that immie wouldnt answer.

which freedom comes first. the freedom of choice, or the freedom of religion?

candycorn asked this question:

Could the CEO of the regional electricity cooperative/generation plant decide she doesn't want to sell power to Mosques? Or Doctor's offices that perform abortions? Or places that sell guns if she is a pacifist?

opinion?

Did I miss the point where pharmacies became public utilities rather than private businesses? No? Did I miss the point where the pharmacy is refusing to sell to only certain people and not others? No?

Then if neither of these situations applies - and they are the only things that could make your asinine post even VAGUELY relevant or meaningful - may I ask what possessed you to waste time and space posting this pointless piece of shit? If you were trying to prove to us that you're the poster girl for repealing women's suffrage on the grounds that they really ARE too softheaded to be allowed to vote, you accomplished that long ago.
not all utilities are public companies, there are many private energy / utility producers across the states.

Regulation - Public Vs. Private Power | Blackout | FRONTLINE | PBS

Seems to me that if you decide to become a minister or preacher, you'd better believe in a deity associated with your religion. If you're going to become a pharmacist, you'd better be prepared to dispense drugs that you may think are ineffective, disproportionate to the disease, etc...

Your "choice" in the matter was sacrificed when you decided to become licensed by the regulatory bodies. If you don't want to work with medicines that kill cells, you're in the wrong line of work.

Who gives a shit? I , and you, have the FREEDOM to choose a job which we hate, disagree with, and or don't want to do. Unless the government is our BOSS, then they can butt the fuck out. How hard is that for you simpletons to understand?

If I want to open a restaurant and then refuse to cook food when people come in hungry, tough shit, it's MY restaurant. YOU don't have the right to demand that I feed you.

Your childlike mind is really quite endearing. Feel free to go outside and get some sunlight.

When you enter into a regulated profession, you assume certain responsibilities. If you don't like what comes with that regulation, you should not get into the profession. I guess if you're a racist air traffic controller and you have a black pilot trying to land a plane, you'd be fine with steering him into a mountain. Nobody tells the air traffic controller what to do in your warped little world, do they? he he he

not all utilities are public companies, there are many private energy / utility producers across the states.

The good thing about having cecil on ignore is missing his "wisdom". Actually, since there is no wisdom there, I haven't missed it at all.

The good thing about having cecil on ignore is missing his "wisdom". Actually, since there is no wisdom there, I haven't missed it at all.

hey dipshit, utilities - even private ones, have been given limited monopolies in their areas, no competition, in return they must serve EVERYONE.

Post all examples of pharmacies who have been given monopolies.

While you're at it, post examples of ANYONE who has simple not had access to Plan B because of some pharmacy who didn't want to sell it.

Seems to me that if you decide to become a minister or preacher, you'd better believe in a deity associated with your religion. If you're going to become a pharmacist, you'd better be prepared to dispense drugs that you may think are ineffective, disproportionate to the disease, etc...

Your "choice" in the matter was sacrificed when you decided to become licensed by the regulatory bodies. If you don't want to work with medicines that kill cells, you're in the wrong line of work.

Who gives a shit? I , and you, have the FREEDOM to choose a job which we hate, disagree with, and or don't want to do. Unless the government is our BOSS, then they can butt the fuck out. How hard is that for you simpletons to understand?

If I want to open a restaurant and then refuse to cook food when people come in hungry, tough shit, it's MY restaurant. YOU don't have the right to demand that I feed you.

Your childlike mind is really quite endearing. Feel free to go outside and get some sunlight.

When you enter into a regulated profession, you assume certain responsibilities. If you don't like what comes with that regulation, you should not get into the profession. I guess if you're a racist air traffic controller and you have a black pilot trying to land a plane, you'd be fine with steering him into a mountain. Nobody tells the air traffic controller what to do in your warped little world, do they? he he he

Hey dummy ALL industries are regulated, EVERY one of them.

tell me how the hardware store down the block is regulated? tell me how the cake shop on the corner is regulated? tell me how the restaurant across town is regulated?

hey dipshit, utilities - even private ones, have been given limited monopolies in their areas, no competition, in return they must serve EVERYONE.

While you're at it, post examples of ANYONE who has simple not had access to Plan B because of some pharmacy who didn't want to sell it.
it depends on if the industry has been deregulated or not. but this has in fact happened

Deregulation Information

and you really need to go back to the beginning of the thread and read about the woman who tried to buy plan b but the pharmacist refused. that is the point of this entire thread.

Last edited:

tell me how the hardware store down the block is regulated? tell me how the cake shop on the corner is regulated? tell me how the restaurant across town is regulated?

LOL oh so easy

OSHA

Health Department

Labor Department

need I go on dummy?

it depends on if the industry has been deregulated or not. but this has in fact happened

Deregulation Information

and you really need to go back to the beginning of the thread and read about the woman who tried to buy plan b but the pharmacist refused. that is the point of this entire thread.

And I asked the question long ago. Did this poor beleaguered soul end up with an unwanted pregnancy or did she end up going elsewhere to get some Plan B?

You are an ignoramus.

While I agree a pharmacist should discuss with a patient possible side effects and alert the prescribing doctor of a potential dangerous drug combination there is no danger to the patient standing in front of him from the morning after pill. He or she should be concerned about the person in front of him, not some potential life. He does not have the moral authority or even the knowledge to deny the drug. For all he knows the woman or girl was raped by her father.

If someone's morals prevent them from doing their job they should find other work.

If he were my employee I would work to find a replacement and then fire him.

We already know you want to impose your views on other people, thanks for admitting it.
On the contrary, I do not wish others to impose their views on me or anyone else. It really isn't much different than refusing to fill a prescription for a sexually transmitted disease because the pharmacist thought it is God's will that the little slut dies of VD.

There you go again, imposing your views on others.

LOL oh so easy

OSHA

Health Department

Labor Department

need I go on dummy?
agreed. this was meant to be an easy answer. so on to my next question.... if the government can regulate and does regulate every business, why is regulating the pharmacy's any different?

if OSHA can mandate that certain safety equipment and procedures be used, and the health department can mandate the certain products and procedures be put in place, and the same with labor. they why is a pharmacy any different?

Deregulation Information

And I asked the question long ago. Did this poor beleaguered soul end up with an unwanted pregnancy or did she end up going elsewhere to get some Plan B?

You are an ignoramus.
and i asked the question long ago, if it was mandated that the pharmacy must carry it and they had it on the shelf, what gave the pharmacist the right to deny service for a product that the pharmacy already carried?

you retard

There are actually 2 arguments here.

1) The Freedom of Choice vs. the Freedom of Religion

I think that this one will hinge on which side of the following argument is won.
Whos rights are more critical in the eyes of the law? The right and freedom of choice by the customer, or the right to refuse serve based on a religious belief.

2) Does the state have a right to mandate that a regulated business can be forced to carry a product.
(the side argument to this would be, can the state do this if it is in the interest of the public good, i.e. mandating vaccinations and such)

There is only 1 argument here.

1. The freedom of choice is the freedom of religion. The customer is free to go to another store if he doesn't like the religion in one of them. If we were to follow your logic a customer would be able to walk into a store that is displaying a menorah and demand it be taken down.
  2. Can the state demand that a store carry all types of alcohol if the store owner gets a liquor license? Again, if we follow your logic, customers could insist that grocery stores get rid of all other products in order to stock all sorts of obscure wines that no one buys.
Your grasp of law is so flawed it is not even worth actually addressing until you graduate from kindergarten.

Under this ruling any pharmacist can refuse to sell anything because they are "religiously" against it.

Got AIDS? God's will.
Cancer? God's will.
etc

We already know you want to impose your views on other people, thanks for admitting it.
On the contrary, I do not wish others to impose their views on me or anyone else. It really isn't much different than refusing to fill a prescription for a sexually transmitted disease because the pharmacist thought it is God's will that the little slut dies of VD.

There you go again, imposing your views on others.
how is that imposing her view on others? she is choosing not to judge as opposed to actually judging

why do you INSIST on trying to pretend that the REASON for refusing to sell a product matters at all?

If it's MY STORE, and MY INVENTORY, and I'm paying the bills. Then why on God's green Earth do YOU get to decide who I do what business with?
you can not refuse service to someone based on a discriminatory practice. i.e. refusing to sell a product to black man, but be willing to sell it to white man.

if you do not carry a product, then there is no discussion.

Does that mean that, for example, a guy walks into the store wearing a ski mask and a long coat when the temperature outside is over 100 the employees cannot refuse to serve him because it would discriminate against people that dress up like armed robbers? Or are you jst so stupid you think refusing to sell something to anyone is discrimination against a group of people?

Under this ruling any pharmacist can refuse to sell anything because they are "religiously" against it.

Got AIDS? God's will.
Cancer? God's will.
etc

so what?

If I own a business and I just want to sit there all day every day and not sell anything to anyone, it's MY business.

Jesus why are you people so stupid?

And the lawsuit cited in the OP was about pharmacies being required to carry a product.

>>>>

Again, Syphon is a dishonest idiot. This isn't about discrimination either. If a pharmacy were selling Plan B to some people but not others, and IF those people were a protected class, THEN it would be discrimination, but flat declaring you won't sell something at all is NOT discrimination. No different than the judge down in Texas who isn't performing ANY marriages. That's not discrimination.
how is it not about discrimination? if the state has already mandated that you must carry the product, and you refuse to sell it based upon a person belief that is a form of discrimination. the same way refusing to service blacks in cafes and resturants during the civil rights movement was discrimination, whether you want to admit it or not. your just too far on the religious right to have a legal argument about it.

if youre more upset about the state mandating that a pharmacy be required to sell a certain product, then that is a separate argument.

the judge in texas is not by law required to perform marriages. maybe you should do some research on that topic first.

It is so not about discrimination that the state did not even try to argue it was discriminatory when they defended the law.

Forum List

Back