Phil Robertson Latest Victim of Gay Mafia War on Freedom of Religion and Speech

It is quite simple:

Phil has a right to speak his mind.
A&E has a right to fire him.
There is no violation of free speech nor free exercise of religion.

And CHRISTIANS have the right to BOYCOT A+E.

Do we not?

And yes, by definition A+E is censoring Phil Robertson and while this is not a federal issue, it is an abridgement of his religious expression, like it or not.

Of course we have the right to boycott!

But no it isn't an abridgment if his freedom of religious expression. The network has a right to fire him because of his speech irregardless of wether it was religious in nature.

As a conservative who was probably upset about the state forcing the bakery to bake cakes for gay weddings, you should be supporting A&E's right (if not their decision). Believe me you do not want to live in a country where employers are forced to behave by the government or groups of people who believe they have a right to not be offended.

That is NOT the conservative way.

Exactly what I was trying to say in a roundabout way. Maybe you will be called rude names now by JimBowie?

Do we not?

And yes, by definition A+E is censoring Phil Robertson and while this is not a federal issue, it is an abridgement of his religious expression, like it or not.

But no it isn't an abridgment if his freedom of religious expression. The network has a right to fire him because of his speech irregardless of wether it was religious in nature.

As a conservative who was probably upset about the state forcing the bakery to bake cakes for gay weddings, you should be supporting A&E's right (if not their decision). Believe me you do not want to live in a country where employers are forced to behave by the government or groups of people who believe they have a right to not be offended.

Exactly what I was trying to say in a roundabout way. Maybe you will be called rude names now by JimBowie?

Nothing new under the sun.

From Senator Ted Cruz

Free Speech Matters

The reason that so many Americans love Duck Dynasty is because it represents the America usually ignored or mocked by liberal elites: a family that loves and cares for each other, believes in God, and speaks openly about their faith.

If you believe in free speech or religious liberty, you should be deeply dismayed over the treatment of Phil Robertson. Phil expressed his personal views and his own religious faith; for that, he was suspended from his job. In a free society, anyone is free to disagree with him--but the mainstream media should not behave as the thought police censoring the views with which they disagree.

And, as PC enforcers often forget, tolerance is a two-way street. Here's what Phil himself had to say about accepting and loving everybody:

“I myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together. However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”

Ted Cruz is a smart man. You will notice that he never said that Phil's free speech or free exercise of religion was violated.

He and others are correct. What A&E did was awful and stupid. I hope they pay dearly for it.

They probably will. And deservedly so. They WAY overreacted.

From Senator Ted Cruz

Free Speech Matters

The reason that so many Americans love Duck Dynasty is because it represents the America usually ignored or mocked by liberal elites: a family that loves and cares for each other, believes in God, and speaks openly about their faith.

If you believe in free speech or religious liberty, you should be deeply dismayed over the treatment of Phil Robertson. Phil expressed his personal views and his own religious faith; for that, he was suspended from his job. In a free society, anyone is free to disagree with him--but the mainstream media should not behave as the thought police censoring the views with which they disagree.

And, as PC enforcers often forget, tolerance is a two-way street. Here's what Phil himself had to say about accepting and loving everybody:

“I myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together. However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”

Ted Cruz is a smart man. You will notice that he never said that Phil's free speech or free exercise of religion was violated.

He and others are correct. What A&E did was awful and stupid. I hope they pay dearly for it.

GoodGod, talk about splitting hairs!

Cruz said, 'If you believe in free speech or religious liberty, you should be deeply dismayed over the treatment of Phil Robertson. Phil expressed his personal views and his own religious faith; for that, he was suspended from his job. In a free society, anyone is free to disagree with him--but the mainstream media should not behave as the thought police censoring the views with which they disagree.'

That you imagine Cruz saying we should be dismayed over this free speech issue and yet cant see how that is an assertion that Phil's free speech was censored is, well, kinda stupid. No offense.

But glad you see A+E as being awful and stupid, but there is more of that thing to come as the Enlightened One completes his last term and his minions grow bolder by the day.

But he will leave a thoroughly awakened foe of the left that they cannot even imagine today.

Last edited:

Do we not?

But no it isn't an abridgment if his freedom of religious expression.

Yes, it is, not against government censorship but of private censorship, and so we do not try to respond by law but by our own retaliatory action.

And we have the right to boycott them for it, and where in the Constitution does it say that a company has the right to fire anyone? You keep playing this game of deliberately obfuscating legal rights with general social rights, where do you see the right to fire people in the Constitution?

I don't want the government to have anything to do with any of this.

Do you even bother to read what you respond to?

And no one is suggesting it. Actually reading things one responds to *is* the conservative way, but cant speak for neocons.

Our Freedom of Speech does not allow us to say things without private consequences. You seem to think they do.

From Senator Ted Cruz

Free Speech Matters

*snort*

Oh, fuck, I am in agreement with Bodecia.

Now I have to totally rethink all this!

lol

Yes, it is, not against government censorship but of private censorship, and so we do not try to respond by law but by our own retaliatory action.

And we have the right to boycott them for it, and where in the Constitution does it say that a company has the right to fire anyone? You keep playing this game of deliberately obfuscating legal rights with general social rights, where do you see the right to fire people in the Constitution?

And no one is suggesting it. Actually reading things one responds to *is* the conservative way, but cant speak for neocons.

Our Freedom of Speech does not allow us to say things without private consequences. You seem to think they do.

Private consequences should not flow to the extreme of firing people for expressing commonly held religious beliefs all because the expression aggravated a small but highly organized criminal syndicate, aka the organized leftwing fascists.

*snort*

Oh, fuck, I am in agreement with Bodecia.

Now I have to totally rethink all this!

lol

You know...it's not too hard to see my name as you quote and get the spelling right.

Private consequences should not flow to the extreme of firing people for expressing commonly held religious beliefs all because the expression aggravated a small but highly organized criminal syndicate, aka the organized leftwing fascists.

It most certainly can and will in a free market society. Do you want the government to tell private business that they cannot fire someone if they say or do something the business deems to be detrimental?

Where is the link that show those words actually coming from God's mouth?

Lol, and what's funniest of all, is that you are probably being serious! roflamo

So...you too laugh at the concept of ANYTHING actually coming from a god's mouth. In this we agree.

Again, why do you think that your pretense of being too stupid to understand what I said equate to any sort of rebuttal.

Or was the assertion that the Bible and God's Word to be invalid without links to source not a little absurd to you?

It most certainly can and will in a free market society. Do you want the government to tell private business that they cannot fire someone if they say or do something the business deems to be detrimental?

OK, so you are truly stupid.

Where did I ever say I wanted the government involved, dumbass?

Lol, and what's funniest of all, is that you are probably being serious! roflamo

So...you too laugh at the concept of ANYTHING actually coming from a god's mouth. In this we agree.

Again, why do you think that your pretense of being too stupid to understand what I said equate to any sort of rebuttal.

Or was the assertion that the Bible and God's Word to be invalid without links to source not a little absurd to you?

The bible is a nice set of stories written by several anonymous sources over a long time....many of which reflect even older stories, myths and legends.

Nothing new under the sun.

If you two would stop being stupid ass hats, I would stop calling you on it.

Do we not?

You are not protected from censorship by the constitution when the entity censoring you is private.

The example I cited about the bakery is the exact same argument. The bakery shop should have been allowed to deny service to anyone. It was a great injustice that they are being forced to comply. This is exactly the same rights I'm referring to when A&E has the right to fire Phil. It is the same thing wether or not the government is involved. If you support the right of the employer to conduct his business in the way he sees fit, you cannot say that A&E is violating Phil's rights. I read and understood your point, the fact that YOU cannot understand how they are related is not my fault.

Then that's not a free speech issue. It's an "made employer unhappy" issue.

Free speech and/or religious expression transcends mere legal concerns, dumbass.

If you weren't an idiot and or a fascist I would bother trying to essplain it to you, but you are not worth the time.

No Jim, it does not.

NOTHING transcends our rights given to us by the constitution. A&E as an employer has the right to fire him.

SHOW ME THAT RIGHT IN THE CONSTITUTION!

Otherwise every union shop law in this country is unconstitutional and would have been struck down decades ago.

Please, just stop claiming it and actually prove it, that is all I am asking.

He's not being censored, he's being fired. He can still say whatever he wants to whom ever he wants - his freedom of expression is still protected.

His freedom of religion is not being abridged (whatever that means), he's being fired. He can still worship however he wants and believe whatever he wants. His freedom of religion is still protected.

His employers don't like how he has represented their company and he was fired. Should I be able to represent my employers in a way they find detrimental or negative and keep my job?

If A&E finds that they have hurt their own company worse by firing Mr. Robertson than his comments have alone, perhaps they'll re-hire him. It all depends on their customers. If most of their customers find Mr. Robertson's comments despicable and the show's rating or A&E's viewership declines, that's capitalism. If most of A&E's customers find his being fired for those comments an inappropriate reaponse and in the end that hurts A&E's profit, that's capitalism.

You can't be for and against capitalism, right to work, and a free society just so you can have it both ways when you want.

Exactly correct.

No, he is not as he fails to grasp that no one is talking about the government taking action here, only a call to BOYCOT by Christians.

Don't like that? too bad.

The Support Phil Facebook page is already up to half a million likes, lol.

He isn't talking about the government. YOU are the one claiming that rights to free speech and religious expression were denied, he pointed out very well how you are incorrect. He never mentioned government.

Forum List

Back