Pope Benedict to Resign!

Hopefully they are done covering for the harm they have done.

its seems to be the only reason they chose this pope

Why resign? He has minions to do his job for him. Possibly dementia or some other real dibilitating illness or something in his past about to surface?

I vote past...but heck..how can you beat being in the Hitler Youth?

He was in the Hitler Youth when EVERY male teenager in Germany was in the Hitler Youth.
It was not voluntary. They were used as fire watches, runners, and even drafted untrained soldiers at the end of the war.

Doesn't matter really.

The optics were astondingly bad. Add in he looked like Emperor Palpatine.

Not that I have a dog or a God in this fight, but interesting.

BBC News - Pope Benedict XVI in shock resignation

Why resign? He has minions to do his job for him. Possibly dementia or some other real dibilitating illness or something in his past about to surface?

Benedict was always seen as a caretaker Pope, with a short reign after a very long reigned (and popular) Pope. Look to the next pope to come from Latin or South America, and for him to be relatively young.

This is the only post in the entire thread worth responding too, the rest are just insulting drivel from people that appear to have some agenda and no im not overly religious and I dont attend any church.

Benedict came behind the most popular pope in my lifetime and he just never grabbed people. I wont guess where the next one will come from but I believe he will be younger. Latin america makes sense catholicsim has more support there by far.

Benedict was always seen as a caretaker Pope, with a short reign after a very long reigned (and popular) Pope. Look to the next pope to come from Latin or South America, and for him to be relatively young.

This is the only post in the entire thread worth responding too, the rest are just insulting drivel from people that appear to have some agenda and no im not overly religious and I dont attend any church.

Benedict came behind the most popular pope in my lifetime and he just never grabbed people. I wont guess where the next one will come from but I believe he will be younger. Latin america makes sense catholicsim has more support there by far.

This pope effected me personally.

I mean that.

I use to live on 86th Street in Yorkville. For some strange freakin reason the Pope visited a German Church on my block. And upon returning home from work..I was kept out of my apartment for 5 hours.

They let protesters get closer to my place then me.

He may be setting a precident where Popes no longer serve while they are old and infirm

I think the "not grabbing people" was by design. He was the safe choice. He is also a hard ass and probably did alot behind the scenes to at least attempt to clean up the Church. Organizations like that are secrative by nature, and considering how horrific the crap they covered up was, it is going to take alot to get the rest of it to see the light of day.

Anyone see the documentary on HBO, Mea Maxima Culpa, about the massive coverup of pedophilia in the church?

Review: 'Mea Maxima Culpa' looks at Catholic Church's abuse cover-up - latimes.com

Alex Gibney?s Mea Maxima Culpa: Sex, Lies, And the Catholic Church - The Daily Beast

While this pope has been part of the coverup, it was the one before him who was in charge of the records of which priests, where they were moved, how much hush money was paid and so on.

HBO will probably continue showing it and its well worth watching.

As for the Breitebart op/ed, the church needs bashing. Anyone who has been a part of protecting the priests and the church from being punished for the thousands of cases of children being molested should be more than bashed. Shame on Breitebart for such a cowardly op/ed. There is no reason to think children are not still being molested and it doesn't help that so many outside the church as well as Catholics themselves who continue to leave their kids in the care of priests (alter boys being one example), help cover it up.

the pope has alot of power.

the next pope should open the vaults to the private papers of the church.

allow the public to see all their internal investigations into child abuse and who covered for who.

let jesus cleanse their souls so to say

Right after you do yours. ;)

Will the next one be Petrus Romanus - Peter the Roman?
We shall see.

According to bible prophecy it looks as if we are about to have the final pope that ushers in anti christ. This is incredible news. Thanks for the post. - Jeremiah

Are any of you people actually even Catholic?

Just wondering.

So non-Catholics shouldn't have an opinion that counts?

That would be like saying men shouldn't have an opinion about abortion because they don't have babies.

Forum List

Back