Debate Now Posting Solutions for Gun Violence

Daryl Hunt

Your Worst Nightmare
Oct 22, 2014
O.D. (Stands for Out Dere
Let's give it a try in here. We are after identifying problems and seeking solutions. This is not an area that hate needs to be in nor your political likes and dislikes.

Now, identify the problems and then discuss the possible solutions.

Anyone who ever uses a gun to commit a crime is locked up for a minimum of 25 years. Life without parole for murder or attempted murder. Eight percent of the criminal population commits 80% of the violent crime so get them off the streets, and keep them off.

Let's give it a try in here. We are after identifying problems and seeking solutions. This is not an area that hate needs to be in nor your political likes and dislikes.

Better yet why don't you list what you consider to be the issues and the solutions you would like to see and let go from there?

Well, these are things that need to be done.

1) Democracy brought to the USA so that the government is representing the interests of the people.

I suggest Congress (or at the very least the House) has Proportional Representation (possible like the Germans with both PR and FPTP for maximum representation).

The president elected via a run off system like the French have, or different parts of the executive are separated and you vote for a variety of different people to do different jobs within the executive rather than one person with all the power.

2) sort out education so that it actually makes sense for kids today, gives them skill they need.

3) Make sure the US is pushing for businesses to produce higher tech stuff (which the students have been training for) so the US has more opportunities.

The main problem is that there are far too many guns, of all types, in circulation in the USA. We are awash in guns, so that criminals, lunatics and toddlers can easily get hold of firepower that belongs only in a war-zone.
How to put this right? Like Climate Change, it's way too late to make it all good. The best we can do is to limit the damage, and 'more guns' is not the way, any more than 'more coal'.

The main problem is that there are far too many guns, of all types, in circulation in the USA. We are awash in guns, so that criminals, lunatics and toddlers can easily get hold of firepower that belongs only in a war-zone.
How to put this right? Like Climate Change, it's way too late to make it all good. The best we can do is to limit the damage, and 'more guns' is not the way, any more than 'more coal'.

Another problem is that too many people are of a criminal mentality. Why?

Too many ways to run foul of the Law. The War on Drugs has driven the same sort of violent crime that the Prohibition did.
We just don't seem to learn...

The more lethal the hardware you want access to, the more extensive the training you must commit to and the deeper the background checks you must undergo.

1) Democracy brought to the USA so that the government is representing the interests of the people.

I suggest Congress (or at the very least the House) has Proportional Representation (possible like the Germans with both PR and FPTP for maximum representation).

The president elected via a run off system like the French have, or different parts of the executive are separated and you vote for a variety of different people to do different jobs within the executive rather than one person with all the power.

2) sort out education so that it actually makes sense for kids today, gives them skill they need.

3) Make sure the US is pushing for businesses to produce higher tech stuff (which the students have been training for) so the US has more opportunities.
This would require ending our Constitutional Republic and establishing a democracy.

Given the Brexit disaster and that one can be punished in the UK for hate speech are but two examples as to why establishing a democracy is a bad idea.

But 2 and 3 are good ideas.

The more lethal the hardware you want access to, the more extensive the training you must commit to and the deeper the background checks you must undergo.
What constitutes ‘more lethal’ – the Santa Fe school shooting involved a shotgun and revolver.

A Federal firearm license for gunowners is the best way to go; the application process would involve an in-depth, comprehensive background check, end intrastate private sales which currently don’t require a background check, and would ensure uniformity among the states keeping prohibited persons from acquiring guns.

A shotgun and a revolver would be less lethal than an AR-15 with a thick stack of 30-rnd mags.

The Santa Fe kid killed 10 and wounded another 13 with a shotgun and a revolver.

Can you imagine what kind of carnage that would have ensued had he had access to an assault rifle and plenty of ammo?

Obviously this is only going to work if we start with background checks and training conducted with with the honest intent of disarming the kid from Santa Fe and get more rigorous from there.

At a minimum, The AR-15 and similar weapons should be accessed through a concealed carry permit.

`

You should read some of the ancient history of Athens. The Mob was infamous for unethical, and immoral acts. That is why the Founding Fathers set us up as a Republic, they realized that the Mob can never be given power because it will abuse that power.

I agree that we are awash in guns. Do you not find it interesting that with well over 300 million firearms in circulation there are only 9,000 murders committed with them? And the majority of those by illegal alien gang members.

A shotgun and a revolver would be less lethal than an AR-15 with a thick stack of 30-rnd mags.

The Santa Fe kid killed 10 and wounded another 13 with a shotgun and a revolver.

Can you imagine what kind of carnage that would have ensued had he had access to an assault rifle and plenty of ammo?

Obviously this is only going to work if we start with background checks and training conducted with with the honest intent of disarming the kid from Santa Fe and get more rigorous from there.

At a minimum, The AR-15 and similar weapons should be accessed through a concealed carry permit.

`

That's not true Joe. A 12 gauge shotgun is far more lethal than an AR15.

`

The 12 gauge makes a cumbersome mass killing weapon. The off the shelf shotguns just don't hold enough rounds and the penetration just isn't there. Sure, at a close range, nothing is more terrifying but that's about it. I know I would need a underwear change if I were to hear the racking of a shotgun behind me. But at 100 yds or even 50 yds, the AR has the extreme advantage. Plus, the shotgun is much longer and will take longer to come onto target. Making the AR the better weapon even at short range if neither person is prepared.

The AR wins again. And is the top of the Legal Firearms Food Chain.

`

The 12 gauge makes a cumbersome mass killing weapon. The off the shelf shotguns just don't hold enough rounds and the penetration just isn't there. Sure, at a close range, nothing is more terrifying but that's about it. I know I would need a underwear change if I were to hear the racking of a shotgun behind me. But at 100 yds or even 50 yds, the AR has the extreme advantage. Plus, the shotgun is much longer and will take longer to come onto target. Making the AR the better weapon even at short range if neither person is prepared.

Shootings don't typically happen at 50 to 100 yards. And a 12 gauge with double aught buckshot (nine-32 caliber projectiles fired at a 1300 fps muzzle velocity) is probably lethal out to 50 yards.

And lastly, they make shotties with detachable magazines and they make extension tubes that hold nine rounds and one in the chamber. So ten 00 buckshot rounds equals ninety 32 caliber projectiles. I'd rather be shot by a 223 than a 00 buckshot.

Another way to look at it is one 5.56 round has 55 grains of projectile. One 00 shotgun round has 492 grains of projectiles.

`

No, it doesn't. It is easily the most effective close range murder weapon out there. Throughout history one weapon has reigned supreme as THE infantry mans weapon of mass destruction and that is the shotgun. Why else would they be banned by the Geneva Convention?

New Topics

Forum List

Back