Privatize % of SS ?

Some or all or none

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not really sure how this would solve the problem at all. I would simply create more debt.

The only way I can see to make Social Security solvent at this point is to raise the retirement age.
There is $2.6 Trillion in Social Security, enough to make full payments for the next 27 years. At that point it would still pay out 75%.
It could easily last indefinitely if people had it deducted on income above $106,000.

In 2009 alone, Social Security benefit expenditures were $686 Billion.

Source: United States federal budget - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That means that $2.6 Trillion dollars would last for less than 4 years, if no more money were paid into the system. As the baby boomer generation retires, expenditures are expected to rise quite a bit.

Where are you getting the 27 year figure exactly?

This is such absurd BS, I am honestly sitting here shaking my head. Are you REALLY trying to argue that we SHOULD depend on our Federal Government to take our money from us for our own good????:eusa_eh:
What other entity would you depend on to manage our military forces and perform the other indispensable functions that government manages via the application of our tax money.

That is not to say there isn't room for improvement in the way the money is disbursed and in the quality of the management. But that is a secondary issue. Your question is whether we need government to extract money from us for our own good and the obvious answer is, yes.

I'm not really sure how this would solve the problem at all. I would simply create more debt.

The only way I can see to make Social Security solvent at this point is to raise the retirement age.
There is $2.6 Trillion in Social Security, enough to make full payments for the next 27 years. At that point it would still pay out 75%.
It could easily last indefinitely if people had it deducted on income above $106,000.

That means that $2.6 Trillion dollars would last for less than 4 years, if no more money were paid into the system. As the baby boomer generation retires, expenditures are expected to rise quite a bit.

Uhhhh.....maybe it's because you're not looking at the money going in to it from payroll deductions.

Uhhhh.....maybe it's because you're not looking at the money going in to it from payroll deductions.

Ahh, the way you phrased your post, it seemed like you were talking about just the money that was already there lasting 27 years.

Carry on.

You pay in your whole life for food stamps and you don't get them, just because a happenstance of the calendar.

Just because you have a completely separate program called "Social Security" doesn't mean it's not ultimately a handout.
Oddball,

Whenever I hear or read this kind of denunciation of the Social Security program, all or most of which is put forth by the likes of Beck, Limbaugh and Hannity, I wonder if those who have been seduced by such transparently false propaganda have grandparents or parents who presently are relying on their monthly Social Security check to enable them to live out their remaining years with dignity and modest comfort.

Those disbursements are not "handouts." Those parents and grandparents contributed to the Program throughout all of their working lives. The money they are receiving is not taxpayer dollars. It derives from a massive fund which they contributed to. And the propaganda that portends the imminent collapse of the System is a lie propagated by Wall Street speculators who salivate at the thought of attaining control over the Social Security Fund, which is a veritable gold mine. Don't be fooled by it.

I don't know how old you are but I assume you are working and contributing to the FICA. If you're a young fellow you probably resent that deduction from your paycheck. But I assure that one day you will be very grateful to those who conceived the program that forced you to contribute. Because in spite of what anyone tells you, you can't do better. In fact you can't do as good without taking enormous risk with private investments.

Your're right, but most employees pay a 7.65% FICA tax, matched by the employer. The hundreds of billions collected in FICA taxes extends the life of the trust about 20 years. So if we aren't concerned, which we should be, with reducing benefits, Congress can do nothing and seniors will get a big reduction in their Social Security checks in about 20 years. This doesn't effect the deficit or the national debt, however it creates a huge breach of faith with the American people.

There are many fixes for Social Security. We can take the cap off the amount high income earners pay. We can increase the FICA rate. We can extend the retirement age. We can tax benefits. Although these fixes may be painful, they pale in comparison to the fixes for the deficit.

The Republican greedheads on Wall Street just can't wait to get their hands on Social Security.

They will steal anything that is not tied down.

In a related story....a hedge fund manager on Wall Street was paid a $5 billion dollar bonus this week.

Your're right, but most employees pay a 7.65% FICA tax, matched by the employer. The hundreds of billions collected in FICA taxes extends the life of the trust about 20 years. So if we aren't concerned, which we should be, with reducing benefits, Congress can do nothing and seniors will get a big reduction in their Social Security checks in about 20 years. This doesn't effect the deficit or the national debt, however it creates a huge breach of faith with the American people.

There are many fixes for Social Security. We can take the cap off the amount high income earners pay. We can increase the FICA rate. We can extend the retirement age. We can tax benefits. Although these fixes may be painful, they pale in comparison to the fixes for the deficit.

Oh, I'm in complete agreement.

I believe that raising the retirement age is the most logical way to go, as people have been living healthier and longer lives. And they'll keep on contributing while they work those extra couple of years.

If it's a choice between delaying retirement a couple of years, or the system going broke before I am even eligible in 2037, I'll take the former, thank you very much.

As Americans get fatter and die sooner, the SS system will be saved.

I have faith that chocolate doughnuts will save Social Security.

I don't know how old you are but I assume you are working and contributing to the FICA. If you're a young fellow you probably resent that deduction from your paycheck. But I assure that one day you will be very grateful to those who conceived the program that forced you to contribute. Because in spite of what anyone tells you, you can't do better. In fact you can't do as good without taking enormous risk with private investments.

Well considering how willing you were to show us in that paragraph that you don't know dick about finance, I don't doubt that you can't do better than Social Security. For the rest of us educated folk, yes, we resent having to pay for people like you. I don't include Social Security in my retirement planning because I'm smart enough to know it will no longer exist when I reach that age.

Well considering how willing you were to show us in that paragraph that you don't know dick about finance, I don't doubt that you can't do better than Social Security. For the rest of us educated folk, yes, we resent having to pay for people like you. I don't include Social Security in my retirement planning because I'm smart enough to know it will no longer exist when I reach that age.

And when you start collecting (yes, it will be there) then some hotshot know-it-all will be telling YOU "how much he hates having to pay for people like you".

I'm very well educated, thank you, and have a decent pension and 401K besides my SS. For me SS will supplement my income but for others not as lucky as we are it will be their primary source of income.

Oh, I'm in complete agreement.

I believe that raising the retirement age is the most logical way to go, as people have been living healthier and longer lives. And they'll keep on contributing while they work those extra couple of years.

If it's a choice between delaying retirement a couple of years, or the system going broke before I am even eligible in 2037, I'll take the former, thank you very much.
Yep. Saving Social Security by increasing the normal retirement age can be fairly painless. It can be done by adding two months to the normal retirement age each year. In 20 years the retirement age would be about 69. That should add at east 10 or 15 years to the life of the trust fund. By then, the life span will probably have increase another 2 or 3 years, so we can again gradually add more months to normal retirement date. I don't know what the big fuss is about this. It will not cause any major effect on retirement plans, will not increase taxes, have no effect on deficits or debt.

When Social Security was first implemented, the average person would receive benefits for only about 5 years. Today the average beneficiary receives benefits for about 17 years. It would be lunacy not to raise the retirement age as life spans get longer. If we don't, in a couple hundred years, we'll be paying benefits half of a person's life.

[You don't have a choice as to whether or not you're going to pay your taxes for food stamps, farm subsidies and bailouts, either.
I have a big problem with tax money going to (some) farm subsidies and to any corporate bailouts but I have no problem with financing the food stamp program.

And scads of SSI recipients, the ones in the early decades in particular, have received back numerous times more than they ever put in.
While some Social Security recipients do indeed receive more money than they've contributed to the program the factors you haven't considered are (a) the enormous amount of interest the Fund derives from its domestic and foreign investments and (b) how many contributors collect little or no benefits at all. Consider how many American workers never live to age 65, or those who die soon after and leave no dependent survivor. There are many.

Glorified welfare is all SSI is.
That's Limbaugh talk and it makes no sense.

If you pay $700 a year for car insurance with $500,000 liability coverage, over a fifty year period you will pay out $35,000. If you have no accidents you won't redeem a dime. But if you total a luxury car you will redeem that whole $35,000, plus. If you kill somebody your insurance company will pay out the whole $500,000 liability obligation. But the reason the insurance companies don't go broke is not everyone has accidents.

Would you call car insurance glorified welfare? And are you quite sure you will live past age 65? How many people do you know who didn't?

Social Security is insurance that we all pay premiums on. That's not welfare.

Tell me how can you call SS a success when it limits your retirement income?

I've already shown how a person making as little as 43K per year could retire with a monthly income of almost 20 times the maximum SS benefit.

It seems to me that SS is designed to keep people from being wealthy.

I've already shown how a person making as little as 43K per year could retire with a monthly income of almost 20 times the maximum SS benefit.

Because no matter what happens in your life from a wife taking everything you have to losing everything you own in the stock market, SS will provide you a guaranteed income for the rest of your life.

And there is nothing stopping anyone from investing as much or as little other income as they want and getting the monthly income of which you speak. And you will STILL get SS. So no, it does NOT "limit" your retirement income.

We ought to be encouraging smoking and heavy alcoholic consumption.

Both alcoholics and smokers die earlier and cost Medicade and medicare and SS less than the average teatotlers and non smokers do.

Plus those consumers pay enormous amounts of money in sin taxes, too, thus keeping everybody's taxes (but their's, of course) down in state and local (and FED, too) taxes.

Because no matter what happens in your life from a wife taking everything you have to losing everything you own in the stock market, SS will provide you a guaranteed income for the rest of your life.

And there is nothing stopping anyone from investing as much or as little other income as they want and getting the monthly income of which you speak. And you will STILL get SS. So no, it does NOT "limit" your retirement income.

You could not be more wrong.

Tell me how the government confiscating 15% of my lifetime income to only give me the max of 2300 a month when if i had control of that same 15% I could very well receive up to nearly 20 times that amount is not limiting my income.

Add that 15% to what I already save and i would have already been able to retire (I'm 44) But because I had 15% of my income taken from me, I am still working.

The government wants the population to be beholden to it. What would our beloved politicians do if even the most modest income earners had millions to live on in retirement and real generational wealth was created for a large portion of the population?

Last edited:
The right wing has been threatening the demise of Social Security for 75 years. The current program will be sustainable if they gradually raise the retirement age to 70 and end the earnings cap. Not justification for scrapping the system and starting over
Ah. Tax more. That's always been the solution each and every time a problem has been found. If it's welfare it needs to be run as welfare, tax progressively and means test the benefit payout. If it's insurance it needs to be run as a sustainable insurance plan. Currently it's neither.

A sustainable insurance plan means the money in equals money out. Raising the retirement age means less money out. Ending the cap on contributions means more money in.

SS works and has worked for generations

A sustainable insurance plan means that the beneficiaries of the policies pay into it and the benefit schedule is set according to the pool of available resources. Individual payments are allocated according to the risk pool.

The only way Social Security has worked for generations is because there has never been so few paying for so many. The solution of simply taxing more will be the undoing of the entire program.

Your solution is to treat the tax like welfare which is unsustainable when the benefits are treated like insurance policies, especially with no management of the "invested" income. It's never invested, it is spent.

Forum List

Back