Privatize % of SS ?

Some or all or none

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's exactly right. A good question would be "How many who have the ability actually invest their money? Or do they go out and spend it on things?"

As sad as it sounds many people need to be protected from themselves. And if you took SS out of it you would be supporting them on welfare.
Exactly right on all points! Especially that many people need to be protected from themselves.

That is the long and short of it. That is why the issue of Social Security needs no further debate. It has served its intended purpose admirably and flawlessly for over seventy-five years now and so it should be left alone!

Finally some honesty.

That's reason enough to scrap it entirely, we've raised a generation of people who are dependent on someone else but have to pay for the previous generation. The money won't be there and then all of the problems Social Security is supposedly fixing now will be exponentially worse.

Ah. Tax more. That's always been the solution each and every time a problem has been found. If it's welfare it needs to be run as welfare, tax progressively and means test the benefit payout. If it's insurance it needs to be run as a sustainable insurance plan. Currently it's neither.
A sustainable insurance plan means the money in equals money out. Raising the retirement age means less money out. Ending the cap on contributions means more money in.
SS works and has worked for generations
A sustainable insurance plan means that the beneficiaries of the policies pay into it and the benefit schedule is set according to the pool of available resources. Individual payments are allocated according to the risk pool.
The only way Social Security has worked for generations is because there has never been so few paying for so many. The solution of simply taxing more will be the undoing of the entire program.

Your solution is to treat the tax like welfare which is unsustainable when the benefits are treated like insurance policies, especially with no management of the "invested" income. It's never invested, it is spent.

It is not welfare...you only receive it if you have paid into it

SS is a safety net...it will be there no matter how much you fuck up. Pay off your house, max your 401K and take your SS and you will be fine

And you honestly think that if given that 15% back everyone would automatically invest it? :lol:
If they choose not to do so, then they suffer the consequences.

You are responsible for you and the choices you make - you , and no one else.

And then you and I will be responsible for supporting them on welfare. :eusa_whistle:
No, you won't.
One of the copnsequences is that you dont get to live off the wealth of others.

Here are some indisputable facts.
1) Diverting SS into private accounts will do nothing more than speed up program insolvency.
Except that fewer people paying in means fewer proplr collecting benefits.
If no one pays in then no one collects - and tus, there's no insolvency.
Thus, this 'fact' is disputable.

2) Very few Americans save for their future.
These people will suffer for their own stupidity.
:shrug:

3) SS has raised millions of seniors out of poverty.
This is a sure indication that SS has failed, given that SS was never intended to do so.

4) The vast majority of Americans oppose doing away with SS and want it to continue.
Fallacy: appeal to popularity.
What other choices should people not be allowed to make simply because a lot of people don't want that choise to be given?

SS is here to stay (by the will of Americans) so the best thing to do is accept that fact and look at ways to maintain solvency whether we raise the age a little more, raise or eliminate the earnings cap or reduce benefits for the upper income.
Why are you so happy that so many people live off the wealth of others?

That's exactly right. A good question would be "How many who have the ability actually invest their money? Or do they go out and spend it on things?"

As sad as it sounds many people need to be protected from themselves. And if you took SS out of it you would be supporting them on welfare.
Exactly right on all points! Especially that many people need to be protected from themselves.
Here's the thing:
You and I are not responsible for these people - you and I are responsible for ourselves and the people we choose to take responsibility for.

Here's the thing:
You and I are not responsible for these people - you and I are responsible for ourselves and the people we choose to take responsibility for.

Yes we are responsible for them.

We are not a third world country where those who do not keep up are allowed to die in the streets.

Americans look out for eachother ...always have

Social Security allows millions of Americans to retire in dignity once their working days are over

Here's the thing:

We are not a third world country where those who do not keep up are allowed to die in the streets.

Social Security allows millions of Americans to retire in dignity once their working days are over

And as I said before if they were allowed to keep the additional 15% and save it themselves, they could retire with a hell of a lot more dignity.

What is it with you people who would rather have the government control your retirement income instead of taking responsibility for yourself?

Tell me how can you call SS a success when it limits your retirement income?

I've already shown how a person making as little as 43K per year could retire with a monthly income of almost 20 times the maximum SS benefit.

It seems to me that SS is designed to keep people from being wealthy.

Because no matter what happens in your life from a wife taking everything you have to losing everything you own in the stock market, SS will provide you a guaranteed income for the rest of your life.

And there is nothing stopping anyone from investing as much or as little other income as they want and getting the monthly income of which you speak. And you will STILL get SS. So no, it does NOT "limit" your retirement income.

You could not be more wrong.

Tell me how the government confiscating 15% of my lifetime income to only give me the max of 2300 a month when if i had control of that same 15% I could very well receive up to nearly 20 times that amount is not limiting my income.

Add that 15% to what I already save and i would have already been able to retire (I'm 44) But because I had 15% of my income taken from me, I am still working.

The government wants the population to be beholden to it. What would our beloved politicians do if even the most modest income earners had millions to live on in retirement and real generational wealth was created for a large portion of the population?
The keyword in your post is "could". In your previous post you assumed a 6% return which is not a risk free return.

You may feel perfectly confident that you can build your on retirement nest egg. But what happens if you get divorced? Your little retirement nest egg just got cut in half. If you become permanently disabled, you can apply for S.S. disability benefits, something you want find in your homegrown retirement plan. Creditors, wifes, con men, recessions, failing mental faculties can take away all your assets before you retire, but they can't take away Social Security.

Last edited:
Because no matter what happens in your life from a wife taking everything you have to losing everything you own in the stock market, SS will provide you a guaranteed income for the rest of your life.

And there is nothing stopping anyone from investing as much or as little other income as they want and getting the monthly income of which you speak. And you will STILL get SS. So no, it does NOT "limit" your retirement income.

Tell me how the government confiscating 15% of my lifetime income to only give me the max of 2300 a month when if i had control of that same 15% I could very well receive up to nearly 20 times that amount is not limiting my income.

Add that 15% to what I already save and i would have already been able to retire (I'm 44) But because I had 15% of my income taken from me, I am still working.

The government wants the population to be beholden to it. What would our beloved politicians do if even the most modest income earners had millions to live on in retirement and real generational wealth was created for a large portion of the population?
The keyword in your post is "could". In your previous post you assumed a 6% return which is not a risk free return.

The only risk free return is zero. Tell me over what 45 year span in the last 200 years did a balanced investment portfolio ever return zero.

You may feel perfectly confident that you can build your on retirement nest egg. But what happens if you get divorced? Your little retirement nest egg just got cut in half.
And I would get half of my ex wife's. And everything i saved after the divorce would be all mine.
If you become permanently disabled, you can apply for S.S. disability benefits, something you want find in your homegrown retirement plan.

You can purchase disability insurance privately for a fraction of the cost of SS AND get better benefits guaranteed to age 67. For example a 22 year old can purchase Disability insurance that would guarantee a 31K per year tax free benefit for as little as 45 dollars a month. And this policy will also pay a partial benefit if after an injury you earn less than before you were hurt. SS doesn't do that. What's more a return of premium policy would give you back all the premiums you paid if you don't make a claim.

Creditors, wifes, con men, recessions, failing mental faculties can take away all your assets before you retire, but they can't take away Social Security.

One can avoid creditors and con men. I already addressed the ex wife excuse and legal steps such as trusts and powers of attorney protect against health problems as far as your money is concerned.

Last edited:
Here's the thing:

And as I said before if they were allowed to keep the additional 15% and save it themselves, they could retire with a hell of a lot more dignity.
What is it with you people who would rather have the government control your retirement income instead of taking responsibility for yourself?
Less money in the hands of the government means less power for government.
That's what this is -really- about.

Those who suggest that people are entitled to live of the wealth of others and would force that wealth from those that earn it in order to give it to those that are supposedly entitled to is advocate for a form of slavery, and little else.

Liberalsim is the antithesis of liberty.

Those who suggest that people are entitled to live of the wealth of others and would force that wealth from those that earn it in order to give it to those that are supposedly entitled to is advocate for a form of slavery, and little else.

That is not liberalism. That is living in a modern society. Modern societies look after the less fortunate. Your Dickensonian views have not been in effect for generations.

Thank goodnesss

A sustainable insurance plan means the money in equals money out. Raising the retirement age means less money out. Ending the cap on contributions means more money in.
SS works and has worked for generations
A sustainable insurance plan means that the beneficiaries of the policies pay into it and the benefit schedule is set according to the pool of available resources. Individual payments are allocated according to the risk pool.
The only way Social Security has worked for generations is because there has never been so few paying for so many. The solution of simply taxing more will be the undoing of the entire program.

Your solution is to treat the tax like welfare which is unsustainable when the benefits are treated like insurance policies, especially with no management of the "invested" income. It's never invested, it is spent.

It is not welfare...you only receive it if you have paid into it

SS is a safety net...it will be there no matter how much you fuck up. Pay off your house, max your 401K and take your SS and you will be fine

If it's a safety net then it needs to be one where payments are required based on the needs of a means tested benefit schedule. If it's there so I'm "fine" if I do all the other stuff then it's an investment and a piss poor one at that. Too few payers for too many beneficiaries.

Here's the thing:

If that's the goal then let's run it that way. Right now 4 workers are supporting 1 retiree who has an equal chance of being poor and in need or being rich and getting a 3rd house in Florida.

The only risk free return is zero. Tell me over what 45 year span in the last 200 years did a balanced investment portfolio ever return zero.

And I would get half of my ex wife's. And everything i saved after the divorce would be all mine.
If you become permanently disabled, you can apply for S.S. disability benefits, something you want find in your homegrown retirement plan.

You can purchase disability insurance privately for a fraction of the cost of SS AND get better benefits guaranteed to age 67. For example a 22 year old can purchase Disability insurance that would guarantee a 31K per year tax free benefit for as little as 45 dollars a month. And this policy will also pay a partial benefit if after an injury you earn less than before you were hurt. SS doesn't do that. What's more a return of premium policy would give you back all the premiums you paid if you don't make a claim.

Creditors, wifes, con men, recessions, failing mental faculties can take away all your assets before you retire, but they can't take away Social Security.

One can avoid creditors and con men. I already addressed the ex wife excuse and legal steps such as trusts and powers of attorney protect against health problems as far as your money is concerned.

Also, Social Security Disability is not funded by FICA so it's not even part of the equation.

That is not liberalism. That is living in a modern society. Modern societies look after the less fortunate. Your Dickensonian views have not been in effect for generations.

Thank goodnesss

In 2003 there were 15,000 Social Security recipients in my zip code but only 1000 people who are over 65 that were not on the list of "high net worth" households compiled by the RIAA marketing division.

And now I get to pay more to help them? Why can't we means test the benefits and set the tax rates according to those needs instead of buying rich union retirees' votes?

You support allowing people to invest some or all of the SS payments into private account?

Better questions would be "Would you support a bailout of people who are unable to deal with becoming old, broke and ill because the stock market took all of their savings?" "Would you allow them to suffer without assistance from their government?" "What it were you and your whole family?"

That is not liberalism. That is living in a modern society. Modern societies look after the less fortunate.

Is that what it's called these days, or is it people subsidizing the failure of others?

imagine a society full of failures without help? sounds like the tinder and spark of a violent revolution

btw, Social Security is more an insurance program than an investment strategy.

just thought you may want to deal with the real world in an honest fashion.

Go name any insurance program that runs like Social Security. The real world has an honest name for a system structured as such, Ponzi Scheme.

If you're under 50, you're the loser.

Forum List

Back