Privatize % of SS ?

Some or all or none

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Which confirms what I said, although you didn't mean to.
No, it doesn't. There's no investment, just an accounting entry.
The money no longer exists, and the accouting ledger can be wiped clear at any time.

That's like saying that the money the Chinese put into U.S. treasuries no longer exists, or the money millions of Americans use to buy U.S. bills, notes, and bonds no longer exists.

When you are upside down by $14,000,000,000,000... there is no money.

SS is a "pay as you go" system and will more than likely be upside down in terms of receipts vs. outlays in about six years. Then they will have to start drawing down the so called Trust Fund. Problem: The trust fund is U.S. Treasuries, i.e., it has all been loaned back to the U.S. Government.

Last edited:
Push it to the absurd?

Isn't there a debating term for that?
Yes...It's illustrating the absurd by being equally absurd.

Nothing absurd about SSI. It's functioned very well for decades.

How very conservative of you. :eusa_whistle:

Seriously, tradition as an argument for never improving or innovating? Where would we be if our great-grandparents had said, "Horses have worked just fine all this time. Who needs cars?"

Absolutely not.

SSI is the ultimate safety net, designed to make sure that if you screw up..you still can salvage your life in your "Golden" years.

It should never ever be messed with.

I would rather have the choice to have some kind of control over my Social Security funds.
I have been kicking into this for 40 years now and have another 10 to go....

I doubt very much that I will ever get to see much or any of that when I plan to retire in 10 years.

Obama and the Obama wannabes coming down the pike with their Liberal Progressive agenda will find a way to spend it on green energy,or green drinks or making sure the millions of illegals in this country have health care and a good college education and free housing or something or other.

I would rather have a chance to get my hands on a few dollars and that chance lies with the Republicans.:eusa_hand:

And if you failed with your investment strategy the rest of us would end up supporting you on welfare.

Newsflash. For a lot of people on Social Security, that's the case, anyway.

Thought for the day...

Post the 1929 black depression, how many years did it take before the DOW climbed back to its previous pre-depression high?

I'll give ya'll time to look it up.

Did you figure it out?

Now imagine that you'd retired on that Black October Tuesday in 1929.

How socially secure do you suppose youy'd have been for the next 15 years or so?

For one when you're about to retire, you shouldn't have all your money in equities.

Why do all of you think that basic money management is some kind of esoteric scientific discipline?

Maybe they never have any money to manage? At that point, it all becomes kind of abstract and esoteric, I'd imagine.

what he and you have done is started an argument with yourselves and declared yourself 'winners' :lol:

SS is not and never was intended to be an investment strategy.

an insurance program that would keep Americans safe from the gamble that is life and the stock markets

So if people had the money stolen for SS AND they put away another 10% they'd be even better off. And at every instance, private insurance is cheaper and pays better benefits than SS does.

And I see you've fallen for the "all investments are risky" line the government feeds the rest of the sheep.

And what is more risky than a government tax collected for something that the government is not actually obligated to pay when the time comes, and which requires raising more taxes on a shrinking group of people to pay the benefits?

And for people under a certain age, Social Security is just pouring money down a rathole, because unless something changes drastically and soon, it's not going to exist by the time they retire. And they know it.

Privatize public education first, K through 12, and Soc. Sec. changes become largely unnecessary.

Unfortunately, you still have to do something about all the people who are already past primary school education.

But I'm with you on the privatizing public education idea. My teenaged son, who has been homeschooled his entire life until this year, is now attending a charter school. While charter schools operate in theory as public schools, in that they don't charge tuition and are open to essentially anyone, this school ALSO does not take public money. It funds its operations solely (and very well) strictly on its own profits.

"How does a school make profits?" you ask. In this case, it does so by offering its students the option of what are essentially trade-school classes, which function as businesses offering services to the community. For example, the auto shop classes are taught in an actual, working auto repair shop. The photography classes are taught in a professional photography studio. The school has a printing shop that, among other things, does automobile wraps for businesses looking to use their company cars as advertisements. So the students not only work on their academics AND learn profitable skills, they ALSO learn the necessary skills of holding down a job and how to conduct oneself as an employee.

Which confirms what I said, although you didn't mean to.
The money no longer exists, and the accouting ledger can be wiped clear at any time.

That's like saying that the money the Chinese put into U.S. treasuries no longer exists, or the money millions of Americans use to buy U.S. bills, notes, and bonds no longer exists.
No... its not... because those things are not accounting entries.

So if people had the money stolen for SS AND they put away another 10% they'd be even better off. And at every instance, private insurance is cheaper and pays better benefits than SS does.

And I see you've fallen for the "all investments are risky" line the government feeds the rest of the sheep.

And what is more risky than a government tax collected for something that the government is not actually obligated to pay when the time comes, and which requires raising more taxes on a shrinking group of people to pay the benefits?

And for people under a certain age, Social Security is just pouring money down a rathole, because unless something changes drastically and soon, it's not going to exist by the time they retire. And they know it.

Guess again Chicken Little. Even if NO action is taken they can still collect at least 75% of their benefits.

The annual deficits will be made up by redeeming trust fund assets in amounts less than interest earnings through 2024, and then by redeeming trust fund assets until reserves are exhausted in 2037, at which point tax income would be sufficient to pay about 75 percent of scheduled benefits through 2084. The projected exhaustion date for the combined OASI and DI Trust Funds is unchanged from last year’s report.

Trustees Report Summary

The annual deficits will be made up by redeeming trust fund assets in amounts less than interest earnings through 2024, and then by redeeming trust fund assets until reserves are exhausted in 2037, at which point tax income would be sufficient to pay about 75 percent of scheduled benefits through 2084. The projected exhaustion date for the combined OASI and DI Trust Funds is unchanged from last year’s report.
redeeming trust fund assets...

These are the IOUs the accountants put into the trust fund to account for the money taken out. Given that these are nothing but placeholders for money that was spent elsewhere - that is, an intragovernmental loan - where will the money for these 'trust fund assets' come from?

Last edited:

It's a Ponzi Scheme.

When SS started, there were more than 40 tax payers per beneficiary. We are now down to 3:1, with a ratio of 2:1 in the not so distant future. It's unsustainable.

The only rational and fair solution is to phase in privatization and means testing. The residual program after full implementation should be a safety net for those who truly are poor - and not a national retirement income entitlement.

Privatize public education first, K through 12, and Soc. Sec. changes become largely unnecessary.

Unfortunately, you still have to do something about all the people who are already past primary school education.

But I'm with you on the privatizing public education idea. My teenaged son, who has been homeschooled his entire life until this year, is now attending a charter school. While charter schools operate in theory as public schools, in that they don't charge tuition and are open to essentially anyone, this school ALSO does not take public money. It funds its operations solely (and very well) strictly on its own profits.

"How does a school make profits?" you ask. In this case, it does so by offering its students the option of what are essentially trade-school classes, which function as businesses offering services to the community. For example, the auto shop classes are taught in an actual, working auto repair shop. The photography classes are taught in a professional photography studio. The school has a printing shop that, among other things, does automobile wraps for businesses looking to use their company cars as advertisements. So the students not only work on their academics AND learn profitable skills, they ALSO learn the necessary skills of holding down a job and how to conduct oneself as an employee.

You must have grown up in a city because many, if not most small towns do not have an auto dealership and the back yard shade tree mechanics are probably not the best teachers. The same goes for newspapers, beauty shops, factories, etc.. Believe it or not my wife goes to a local vet (doggy doctor) to get her nails done which is done part time by the receptionist.

Basically what you are advocating are trade schools for children. And that wouldn't go over too well for our lack of scientists, engineers, etc. in this nation.

These are the IOUs the accountants put into the trust fund to account for the money taken out. Given that these are nothing but placeholders for money that was spent elsewhere - that is, an intragovernmental loan - where will the money for these 'trust fund assets' come from?

Hmmmm.....aren't mutual funds operated much the same way? Does that mean your 401k is basically worthless? (Assuming, of course, that you do in fact have a 401k.)

Hmmmm.....aren't mutual funds operated much the same way? Does that mean your 401k is basically worthless? (Assuming, of course, that you do in fact have a 401k.)
1: You didnt answer the question
2: No. Nothing like the same thing.

Again:
Given that these 'assets' are nothing but placeholders for money that was spent elsewhere, where will the money for these 'trust fund assets' come from?

It's a Ponzi Scheme.

When SS started, there were more than 40 tax payers per beneficiary. We are now down to 3:1, with a ratio of 2:1 in the not so distant future. It's unsustainable.

The only rational and fair solution is to phase in privatization and means testing. The residual program after full implementation should be a safety net for those who truly are poor - and not a national retirement income entitlement.

Sorry. It's not a Ponzi Scheme either.

But it's not a Ponzi scheme. And Ponzi himself, who died in a hospital charity ward with only enough money for his burial, would never have recognized it as his own.

Why Social Security is not a Ponzi scheme - Jan. 7, 2009

1: You didnt answer the question
2: No. Nothing like the same thing.

Again:
Given that these 'assets' are nothing but placeholders for money that was spent elsewhere, where will the money for these 'trust fund assets' come from?

What....do you think you know more than the Secretary of the Treasury, the Secretary of Labor, the Secretary of Health and Human Services, and the Commissioner of Social Security? I guess they could really use someone with your obvious expertise on that board.

Far from being "worthless IOUs," the investments held by the trust funds are backed by the full faith and credit of the U. S. Government. The government has always repaid Social Security, with interest. The special-issue securities are, therefore, just as safe as U.S. Savings Bonds or other financial instruments of the Federal government.

Trust Fund FAQs

What....do you think you know more than the Secretary of the Treasury, the Secretary of Labor, the Secretary of Health and Human Services, and the Commissioner of Social Security? I guess they could really use someone with your obvious expertise on that board.

Aagin, you did not answer the question.

Last edited:

No... its not... because those things are not accounting entries.

Exactly. There ARE real US bonds out there, but that doesn't mean that simply calling something a US bond makes it one.

Guess again Chicken Little. Even if NO action is taken they can still collect at least 75% of their benefits.

Trustees Report Summary

"No, really, we're fine, honest, you can believe us." I can't tell you how reassuring I find that. :eusa_hand:

It's a Ponzi Scheme.

Sorry. It's not a Ponzi Scheme either.

But it's not a Ponzi scheme. And Ponzi himself, who died in a hospital charity ward with only enough money for his burial, would never have recognized it as his own.

Why Social Security is not a Ponzi scheme - Jan. 7, 2009

SS makes Bernie Madoff look like an amateur.

Oh This Is Rich! People are supposed to feel good about getting 25% less than they were promised? The left has kiniption fits when anyone suggests holding benefits flat.

All you've done is proven that SS can no longer meet its commitments with the present and forecasted tax base. It's time to admit we made a huge mistake and to privatize retirement.

Forum List

Back