Question about fishing rod stuff

Hellokitty

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2009
I want to get my husband a couple of nice fishing rods for Christmas, but I don't have a clue. He was big into fishing several years ago but had the majority of his fishing gear stolen off a boat we had in storage. Now that the kids are grown he wants to get back into fishing. He just got a small fishing boat, and we live in northern Georgia.
Our son lives in Florida about 10 minutes from the ocean around Sarasota, so I would like to find a rod for fishing in the ocean off a peer and whatever stuff you need for that.
Any other suggestions on what you need for fishing will be appreciated.

I want to get my husband a couple of nice fishing rods for Christmas, but I don't have a clue. He was big into fishing several years ago but had the majority of his fishing gear stolen off a boat we had in storage. Now that the kids are grown he wants to get back into fishing. He just got a small fishing boat, and we live in northern Georgia.
Our son lives in Florida about 10 minutes from the ocean around Sarasota, so I would like to find a rod for fishing in the ocean off a peer and whatever stuff you need for that.
What type of reel did he use before? That would help.

A fairly stout fiberglass rod is good for pier fishing. Looking for something about 8 feet long with an open-faced spinning reel.

What type of reel did he use before? That would help.

Okay had to look up the types and then look at the rods he has now and they are bait casting, I also learned the rod he gives me to use is a kids rod.

Okay had to look up the types and then look at the rods he has now and they are bait casting, I also learned the rod he gives me to use is a kids rod.
I use both a spin cast and an open face reel for pier fishing. Ask your son what his Dad prefers because it will make it easier if he's picky. Myself, if someone gifted me some new gear I really wouldn't care what it was.

Your best bet will be to give him a gift card. Most fishermen are particular on what they like to use.

Unless it's car stuff he tends to not get nice things for himself. He can exchange if he doesn't like it.

Best advice I can think of....I'm picky as hell, especially when it comes to saltwater surf-fishing gear.....The lowest end reel I'll even look at are Penn reels.

He doesn't have anything specifically for pier fishing in the ocean. In the past he would just do a charter thing. I am trying to figure this stuff out but it's confusing as hell.

He doesn't have anything specifically for pier fishing in the ocean. In the past he would just do a charter thing. I am trying to figure this stuff out but it's confusing as hell.
Which is why the best bet is to give him a gift card. Only he knows what he wants/needs. The rest of us are just guessing. Give him a gift card to somewhere like Bass Pro where he has to spend it on himself. That way he gets what he wants without the hassle of an exchange.

You should really go with a gift card.
I have six rods of various weights just for bass fishing. And my wife wouldn't have a clue unless I told her what I wanted.
For saltwater it's the same. I have a couple of surf rods that are 12 ft long with spin cast reels since it can be difficult to cast into the wind with a bait cast.
And since I'm on the Gulf coast in Texas the wind is always from the south in the summer. You also need to know what length rods are acceptable for pier fishing. Many of them wont let you use a rod over 8ft. Then you have rods for wading in the surf which are much shorter than a surf rod since you wade out to get to the fish. And of course you have offshore rods that you use off a boat. They're short and stiff and some have rollers rather than eyes for the line to pass through.

Not knowing the type of fishing he's going to be doing it's impossible to recommend which you should buy.
And then there's the brand,some fisherman like certain brands of reels and rods.
And then there's price.
My bass rod and reel combos are around $400 to $600 dollars a piece.
Same goes for my saltwater rigs.

You should really go with a gift card.
I have six rods of various weights just for bass fishing. And my wife wouldn't have a clue unless I told her what I wanted.
For saltwater it's the same. I have a couple of surf rods that are 12 ft long with spin cast reels since it can be difficult to cast into the wind with a bait cast.
And since I'm on the Gulf coast in Texas the wind is always from the south in the summer. You also need to know what length rods are acceptable for pier fishing. Many of them wont let you use a rod over 8ft. Then you have rods for wading in the surf which are much shorter than a surf rod since you wade out to get to the fish. And of course you have offshore rods that you use off a boat. They're short and stiff and some have rollers rather than eyes for the line to pass through.

Not knowing the type of fishing he's going to be doing it's impossible to recommend which you should buy.
And then there's the brand,some fisherman like certain brands of reels and rods.
And then there's price.
My bass rod and reel combos are around $400 to $600 dollars a piece.
Same goes for my saltwater rigs.
I have a couple of Van Staal reels (a 150 and 200) I bought used for $200 each and went ahead and replaced the rollers/cleaned/lubed. They have been 100%.

8ae44575047c09ee4ce80246cc45cd8a--fishing-reels-the-product.jpg

I use Penn reels otherwise, even in freshwater. Easy to upkeep and rebuild when needed......I have a old Turquoise cased Penn 710Z I use for catfishing that's about as old as I am and you can still get parts for it with no problem at all. Of course it's both black and turquoise now with a gold-toned spool.

I use both a spin cast and an open face reel for pier fishing. Ask your son what his Dad prefers because it will make it easier if he's picky. Myself, if someone gifted me some new gear I really wouldn't care what it was.

Asked my husband what he would like if I got him one for Christmas, he's not real picky and is just getting back into fishing. He uses baitcast and likes diawa and said something about depth.

Asked my husband what he would like if I got him one for Christmas, he's not real picky and is just getting back into fishing. He uses baitcast and likes diawa and said something about depth.
You will notice the price points from basic to high end. Diawa Tatula HD is a good reel for saltwater. It holds enough line for all-around use. I use a right hand winding reel, so consider which hand he winds with.

Forum List

Back